Is it better to lock and password protect the phone or does it get to be a pita having to keep putting in your password each time? Are there any cons to locking it? I'm thinking of all the info on my phone and/or if the phone gets lost/stolen.
    01-07-09 11:31 PM
    Personally, I feel this is a convenience vs. security issue. IMO it isn't that bad to type in a password every time, and I feel better knowing that my data is secure due to the enabled encryption (which is optional, but I highly recommend at least strong).
    01-07-09 11:35 PM
    The con would be if you forget the password and enter the incorrect one too many times (default set to 10 tries), all your data gets erased. So back up your data.

The pro is that you don't have to worry about anyone getting into your messages and personal info. I do believe your memory card isn't wiped out (there is an app for that).
    01-07-09 11:35 PM
    It really is a personal choice. For me it is a no brainer. I have a
    good deal of work related info as well as the contact info for a
    great many of my friends and family. If my phone got lost or
    stolen at least I have done my part to protect their info.

I also use an app called Roblock
    01-07-09 11:36 PM
    Good point, Duvi. I love the auto-wipe feature, but if you don't backup regularly I could see the major problem.
    01-07-09 11:36 PM
    Duvi: Roblock will wipe the memory card as well as the phone.
    01-07-09 11:38 PM
    Duvi: Roblock will wipe the memory card as well as the phone.
    Yes that's it... it eluded me for several minutes.
    01-07-09 11:40 PM
    Good point, Duvi. I love the auto-wipe feature, but if you don't backup regularly I could see the major problem.
    A lot of people don't, but I have it set to do it automatically.
    01-07-09 11:41 PM
    TY for the input - few second delay to punch in a password shouldn't stop me from securing my info.
    01-07-09 11:44 PM
    TY for the input - few second delay to punch in a password shouldn't stop me from securing my info.

Very true... you can also set it to take a longer time to lock so it's not locking if you are using your phone on/off in short bursts.
    01-08-09 12:21 AM
    is that option in the same menu as where you enable password?
    01-08-09 12:43 AM
    is that option in the same menu as where you enable password?
    Yes it is. It is called Security Timeout. You can set it from as low as 1 minute
    (a little insane) to 1 hour. I have mine set for 20 minutes.
    01-08-09 01:10 AM
    Amazinglygraceless - once again ty so much
    01-08-09 01:13 AM
    No problem. We were all new at one point. Trust me you'll get
    the hang of it all in short order. And this was a team effort.
    01-08-09 01:25 AM
    TY all for the help as well
    01-08-09 01:46 AM
    maybe a dumb question but what good is wiping the memory card? cant a thief or person finding it just pull out the card and get the media on it before attempting to enter X password tries that may trigger a wipe?
    01-08-09 01:09 PM
    I lock... Better be safe than sorry. Just don't forget the password (or backup often)... either one.
    01-08-09 01:50 PM
    I had the security timeout set to 5 mins which is really kind of a hassle, I moved it up to 20min and figure if im around nosey people Ill probably just lock it manually instead of waiting for the security timeout to take place.
    01-08-09 03:25 PM
    I guess I am too trustworthy. I don't lock mine. I also don't work, so I am not around others. It is usually in my hands all the time. The only thing I do do is out it on standby when not in use - to help with battery and memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 03:30 PM
    I definetly lock my phone. I don't even trust my phone around people I know lol
    01-08-09 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD