....at the moment.

I'm after the bold i think and would like to use it for email,hotmail if possible but will move to gmail if thats the better bet. I would also like to use it for sat nav in my car. I had an 8820 a while ago in my last job and was using nav4all wihich was good enough for me.

Anyway i am getting blinded by all the small porint and fair usage policys etc ...

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of the better, least restrictive carriers in the UK. Lest restrictive as far as being able to use different apps on my berry without charges, and also with regards to the silly versions of the OS's that teh carriers always put on phones nowadays.

Any help very very very much appreciated.
    Cheers
    G
    12-10-08 08:15 AM
    No Ukers in the house?
    Want to try and get one ordered asap as my carrier at the min is stingin me as my contact is up ... pure profit for them now!

I just don't want to order one then find i'm stuck on a netwkr for 18months with loads of restriction.

Cheers all
    Gav
    12-10-08 09:22 AM
    Vodafone are good - no issues for me. Not much interference when loading apps and they do their own sat nav which beats any of the free ones for turn by turn voice when driving.
    35/month for free bold, 600 mins, 3000 texts, 500 mb (24 months)
    Much better signal than tmobile (kent and london)
    Have gmail, yahoo mail, personal (blueyonder) mail + the vodafone / bb one that comes with the phone
    Doesn't seem to like msn/hotmail
    Came with something like .148 and have gone up to .162
    Frankly, the talk of the OS being bad at lower levels is rubbish, they're all pretty stable - 162 Is not noticeably different to 148 and I have loads of apps on there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 09:26 AM
    Ok I'll have a go.

T mobile gives you 1gb of data

Orange has a fair use policy of 250mb

O2 is unlimited with an excessive use policy. One downside is if you use mobile web apn settings you will get charged extra.

Vodafone gives you 500mb of data.

Which is the best? For a 3G device coverage is probably the most important issue, which one of the above has the best coverage in your area?

Not a huge deal of difference in pricing between the networks. You've gotta work out which one gives you the best call/text/data package that suits your needs.

12-10-08 09:31 AM
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys...

I have an 8820 but its locked to orange and they wont sell me a blackberry sim only for some reason .. they will send me the normal data sim but without the blackberry functionality... they say they cant do it

Hazysky - i think quite a few things use apn dont they so i take it going with o2 is a no no then.

Tmobile say there is no way that you can use instant messaging from what i can see.
    12-10-08 09:52 AM
    None of my applications use the APN settings.

Its mainly used if you want to use your BB as a modem.

12-10-08 09:56 AM
    Go to o2's terms and conditions page and their pricing PDF document. It clearly says that using the mobile web APN costs extra and from time to time I've come across o2 users who have received extra charges.

You must be on of the lucky ones .

Ulimited web and Blackberry unlimited are different. The Blackberry unlimited is unlimited with an excessive use policy not a 500mb fair use policy.

12-10-08 10:04 AM
    BTW what do you use the APN settings for? I've never needed them.

12-10-08 10:07 AM
    None of my applications use the APN settings.

Its mainly used if you want to use your BB as a modem.

Oh maybe i misunderstand apn then ... i thought tahst what google maps used and also the satnav apps like nav4all ? if not cool beans .. just thought i remembered having to mess about with apn settings when settin them up on my old work blackberry.
    cheers
    G
    12-10-08 10:12 AM
    It is confusing! If you have a blackberry bolt on then email, bbm, browsing via bb browser etc use the blackberry.net gateway to the internet not mobile web.

The bb bolt on covers you for o2 wap and blackberry.net but not mobileweb.

There have been occasions where some have been able to use mobileweb wiithout extra charges but not many.

No need to apologise for anything.

12-10-08 10:20 AM
    Oh maybe i misunderstand apn then ... i thought tahst what google maps used and also the satnav apps like nav4all ? if not cool beans .. just thought i remembered having to mess about with apn settings when settin them up on my old work blackberry.
    cheers
    G
    I run google maps without any apn settings and I tried nav4all once without them.

There may be a few apps that do require apn details to work but I run about 10 or so without them.

12-10-08 10:23 AM
    ok cool .. anyway signed up with orange last night. Vodafone wanted me to pay them 100 for the phone on a 24month contract !!! Ive been with them for 13 years !!! There offering it for nothing with more minutes and txts to new customers .. wheres the love man !!!

So anyway should get it next week. I got a free bold on a 600 mins unlimited texts and unlimited blackkberry also (emails and browsing) for 34ish a month.

Canny wait

Any tips and tricks or any reading anyone can point me to on my new toy ?

Cheers
    Gav
    12-11-08 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD