Hey everyone,

I'm going to be travelling to Quebec City and Montreal for a little over a week. I've got an unlocked T-Mo Z10 and I'm looking for suggestions on prepaid (monthly) plans.

Ideally it would have plenty of data...don't care as much about voice or text. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    05-18-13 05:32 PM
    Hey, I don't have an answer but I just wanted to say, have a nice trip. I'm from Montreal. Quebec City is Beautiful! Have fun!

Posted Via CB on my Z10
    05-18-13 06:11 PM
    Hey, I don't have an answer but I just wanted to say, have a nice trip. I'm from Montreal. Quebec City is Beautiful! Have fun!

Posted Via CB on my Z10
    Thanks I've been to Montreal twice for vacations before, but never Quebec City. I'll be there for Canada Day...not sure what that entails, but it should be fun.
    05-18-13 06:15 PM
    Enjoy it, they are both nice cities
    05-18-13 06:21 PM
    There are half a dozen options, none of them great. It's hard to say which is best without knowing how much data you need. You can check them out here:

Plans and Boosters
    Cheap monthly prepaid plans for smartphone
    Rate plans*|* Prepaid*|* Plans*|* TELUS Mobility
    http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...REPAID_LANDING
    Prepaid plans from Bell Mobility | Bell Canada
    Mobile phones, plans and more reasons to love Fido | Fido.ca

If you really do plan on using quite a lot of data, it might actually be worth taking Videotron's 3 GB plan for one month, but I think it will probably cost you more than the advertised $55 price if you take it for just one month:
    Unlimited mobile voice and data 55 plan | Mobile | Videotron | Videotron!
    Last edited by janos2808; 05-18-13 at 10:40 PM.
    Shanerredflag and mtmjr90 like this.
    05-18-13 10:01 PM
    Take a look at Koodo as well. They offer really great value.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 10:39 PM
    There are half a dozen options, none of them great. It's hard to say which is best without knowing how much data you need. You can check them out here:

Plans and Boosters
    Cheap monthly prepaid plans for smartphone
    Rate plans*|* Prepaid*|* Plans*|* TELUS Mobility
    http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...REPAID_LANDING
    Prepaid plans from Bell Mobility | Bell Canada
    Mobile phones, plans and more reasons to love Fido | Fido.ca

If you really do plan on using quite a lot of data, it might actually be worth taking Videotron's 3G plan for one month, but I think it will probably cost you more than the advertised $55 price if you take it for just one month:
    Wow, thanks for all the links. I'm a pretty heavy data user and I like not having to worry about it. That Videotron option seems great! I hope it'll still be available in July when I'm there.

The only other reasonable options look like Rogers and Telus...but still not 3GB Thanks again!

Edit:

Take a look at Koodo as well. They offer really great value.

Posted via CB10
    This does look good too, thanks. Will probably be my fall back if Videotron doesn't work out.
    05-18-13 10:41 PM
    If you really do plan on using quite a lot of data, it might actually be worth taking Videotron's 3 GB plan for one month, but I think it will probably cost you more than the advertised $55 price if you take it for just one month:
    Hm...I've been looking further, I'm not sure this is available as a monthly (pay as you go) option. It doesn't look like Videotron has any prepaid options Can anyone confirm if this is indeed the case? Thanks!
    05-18-13 10:56 PM
    Hm...I've been looking further, I'm not sure this is available as a monthly (pay as you go) option. It doesn't look like Videotron has any prepaid options Can anyone confirm if this is indeed the case? Thanks!
    It's a monthly plan, not prepaid, but there's no commitment, you can cancel any time.
    05-18-13 11:11 PM
    One thing to say about Videotron.. they're a great company but their strength is not mobile. They do not have a 4G LTE network, and their coverage is limited. Unless you are in a metropolitan area of sorts, there's a good chance you won't get coverage. As in if you're travelling from Montreal to Quebec City.. that's a 4 hour drive and you'll probably go through areas with no signal. The LTE part isn't too big a deal.. HSPA+ is plenty enough, their coverage just isn't as great as other providers.

Just for more insight, if you happen to give it Virgin, they are subsidiary of Bell. Koodo is of Telus, so with both those companies you get the same coverage as their counterparts.

Hope you find what's best for you. I don't know if Videotron offers plans on a per month basis. You could call and ask or search their website/ chat with someone on their site if they do that.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 11:12 PM
    One thing to say about Videotron.. they're a great company but their strength is not mobile. They do not have a 4G LTE network, and their coverage is limited. Unless you are in a metropolitan area of sorts, there's a good chance you won't get coverage. As in if you're travelling from Montreal to Quebec City.. that's a 4 hour drive and you'll probably go through areas with no signal.

Posted via CB10
    Videotron's service area does cover the road between Montreal and Quebec City. See their coverage map here:

Coverage and Roaming | Mobile | Videotron

Outside their coverage area, they have a roaming agreement with Rogers, so you wouldn't find yourself without a signal if you're anywhere close to civilization.
    05-18-13 11:20 PM
    Videotron's service area does cover the road between Montreal and Quebec City. See their coverage map here:

Coverage and Roaming | Mobile | Videotron

Outside their coverage area, they have a roaming agreement with Rogers, so you wouldn't find yourself without a signal if you're anywhere close to civilization.
    this isn't true in real life I guess. My parents are both on Rogers, as is my brother. Up at the cottage, they have signal. I also do with Koodo. My girlfriend with a Galaxy Nexus on Videotron? Never anything. It must not be in all areas. If you want reliability, Videotron is not the best option depending on one's needs. At least that's my experience. My cottage is just 20 minutes north of St sauveur, just past morin heights. It's in St Adolph d'howard.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 11:33 PM
    this isn't true in real life I guess. My parents are both on Rogers, as is my brother. Up at the cottage, they have signal. I also do with Koodo. My girlfriend with a Galaxy Nexus on Videotron? Never anything. It must not be in all areas. If you want reliability, Videotron is not the best option depending on one's needs. At least that's my experience. My cottage is just 20 minutes north of St sauveur, just past morin heights. It's in St Adolph d'howard.

Posted via CB10
    That's interesting. I can't explain it. I've never experienced anything similar. Thus far, my Videotron phone has always worked everywhere within Rogers' coverage area, inside or outside Quebec.
    05-18-13 11:43 PM
    BTW is the T Mobile Z10 compatible with videotron?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 11:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I believe Videotron's and T-Mobile's HSPA+ networks use the same AWS band (1700).
    05-18-13 11:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I believe Videotron's and T-Mobile's HSPA+ networks use the same AWS band (1700).
    Yep, it's penta-band HSPA+. I'll pretty much be staying close to the metro areas of each city, so I'm thinking coverage should be sifficient.

My biggest concern is even getting the Videotron service since it's not pay as you go. For post-paid service (with or without contract), carriers in the US require an address as part of the account creation process...which of course I wouldn't have since I don't live in Canada...
    05-19-13 12:24 AM
    Yep, it's penta-band HSPA+. I'll pretty much be staying close to the metro areas of each city, so I'm thinking coverage should be sifficient.

My biggest concern is even getting the Videotron service since it's not pay as you go. For post-paid service (with or without contract), carriers in the US require an address as part of the account creation process...which of course I wouldn't have since I don't live in Canada...
    Yes, that's true. I'm not sure if Videotron would let you sign up without a Quebec address. You might have to go with one of the prepaid services. I'll try to find out tomorrow when their offices are open.
    05-19-13 12:28 AM
    I know we would require 2pieces of ID and there's no spot for entry of US addresses with the Bell/Virgin system, so I doubt videotron would be different.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 08:51 AM
    Yes, that's true. I'm not sure if Videotron would let you sign up without a Quebec address. You might have to go with one of the prepaid services. I'll try to find out tomorrow when their offices are open.
    OK, you're right, Videotron does require a Quebec address. So that idea won't work. Sorry about that. Prepaid service is the only way to go.
    05-19-13 09:15 AM
    OK, you're right, Videotron does require a Quebec address. So that idea won't work. Sorry about that. Prepaid service is the only way to go.
    Oh well Koodo it is then.
    05-19-13 10:04 AM
    To be honest, Vidotron is the best plan. 55$ 3GB over and everything unlimited

Posted Via CB on my Z10
    06-29-13 09:10 PM
    Videotron doesn't do prepaid. Ended up doing Koodo and it was great. Paid around $60 for unlimited messaging, 25 mins, and 1GB of data...more than sufficient for a 9 day trip

Only gripe is that I couldn't refill online since my credit card didn't have a Canadian billing address. Not a problem unique to Koodo I'm sure, but wish that could be straightened out.
    07-08-13 01:43 AM