what about installing bb maps??
    It's about the same as Google Maps. It only has Map View mode and no Satellite View. Google Maps also has Street View. Personally I also prefer the user interface of Google Maps.
    01-03-09 09:37 AM
    there's no charge for using google maps or for using your gps in your phone right?
    01-03-09 06:12 PM
    and when it's closed no battery is being used right?
    01-03-09 06:15 PM
    I use Google Maps. Free and I think it rocks! You DO have to make sure it is closed down properly or it will suck on your battery.
    01-03-09 06:18 PM
    I use Google Maps. Free and I think it rocks! You DO have to make sure it is closed down properly or it will suck on your battery.

just want to make sure... i am conscious of my battery life lol... hitting exit ensures that your battery life is not affected?
    01-03-09 06:26 PM
    There may be some software that you can load via the desktop, but it will probably take every drop of memory that you have on your phone to load it. I know that my old TomTom had maps for all of North America and Canada on it and it required 1 Gb of memory to hold it. The main problem is that with a BB you can't run apps off the card so it would probably be required to have everything on the devise.

If you really want to avoid paying for the data plan that bad, I would just buy a regular GPS unit from Garmin, TomTom, etc. You can get them for under $100 now.
    Yes that's what I told all my friends... but I am just curios
    01-05-09 04:56 PM
    A BlackBerry without a data plan is just half a BlackBerry...you might as well have a regular cellphone.
    Mmm not really... it's like saying if you are a guy and you don't have a 10inch Dxck then you are just half of a man. The pleasure is the same but what/how you use it it's up to you
    01-06-09 03:13 PM
    Do any of the free apps have turn by turn?
    Bro, from what I have learned from my treo 650 is that they want you to buy more software/hardware for your PDA phone.
    01-06-09 03:16 PM
    Nav4All, AmAze and TelMap all have turn by turn and are free...

Take a look in the GPS forum here and see what others have to say:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/
    01-06-09 03:25 PM
    A BlackBerry without a data plan is just half a BlackBerry...you might as well have a regular cellphone.
    Mmm not really... it's like saying if you are a guy and you don't have a 10inch Dxck then you are just half of a man. The pleasure is the same but what/how you use it it's up to you

Not to mention that there is a GPS tag/mark on my phone (by the volume control) why would they say there is GPS on my BB 8310 when you have to 1) get a stupid data package which would cost me additionally $40 a month (tax) and 2) the GPS application charges you $12 (w/tax) per month ?

My current package:
    450Min - $47
    Unlimited TXT Video/picture - $23.6
    Insurance ($125 deductible) - $6
    20% discount (not for data)

I pay about $61 a month all tax included

Data package is about $30 to 40/month I think and to be honest with you ...a good GPS is cheap nowadays with $150 you can buy a good one. I would love to have some turn by turn GPS software that I can get for free or pay one time fee and hope there is something like that in the future... It kinda pissed me of when I found out that I have to get the data plan in order to use the software.

TampaDude - when you buy a car a dealership was your car well put together or you have to put the parts together piece by piece?
    Last edited by dirtymoney; 01-06-09 at 03:40 PM.
    01-06-09 03:31 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD