I'm a Storm owner, which is also my first BlackBerry. Whenever I go to Best Buy, I usually browse in the mobile phone area. Everytime I look at non-Storm BlackBerrys, the trackball is stuck or missing. It's very dissapointing because I've never rolled a trackball lol.

What's the deal with this?
    03-13-09 12:42 AM
    I'm a Storm owner, which is also my first BlackBerry. Whenever I go to Best Buy, I usually browse in the mobile phone area. Everytime I look at non-Storm BlackBerrys, the trackball is stuck or missing. It's very dissapointing because I've never rolled a trackball lol.

So no one steals the trackball... They are very easy to remove
    03-13-09 12:44 AM
    Yup - they get stolen and if its an active phone many people who are bored and have nothing better to do password the phones to annoy the staff. My Best Buy is the same way here by the house. The ATT store has fully functional units on display though (Bold, Curve).
    03-13-09 12:49 AM

It's called dumba** syndrome most of the time. They either take it out so dumba** people can't steal it, or they leave it in and some dumba** breaks it.

That would also be the reason you have to show 50 forms of ID and fulfill 3 tasks before they will even unlock any electronic device so you can actually pick it up and hold it. One bad apple and all...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 12:50 AM
    Yeah it sucks they have to do that at best buy... I was at one the other day wanting to check out the bold but nope, not a live model...

Check out a Verizon or at&t store

03-13-09 01:07 AM
    I think that all best buys does this. I live in Atlanta and all of the ones here do it. Matter of fact the tmo that I go to a lot had an 8900 stolen one day I was there. It was the funniest thing I have ever witnessed. The person only got to the parking lot before he was tackled by an employee.

03-13-09 01:52 AM
    yea i was in a bestbuy today and was looking at a dummy bold and the trackball felt like a bearing in oil it was all greasy i found it musing. plus most of the phones in store by me arent real they have the dummy models.
    03-13-09 01:59 AM
    the phones on display at best buy are laughable. i agree on the dumb*** rule though. when i was shopping for my storm i found flip phones in half, buttons missing, and tons of dummy phones that weren't functional. it's very hard to test drive a phone when it's not working.
    03-13-09 03:42 AM
    yea but i wouldn't buy a phone from best buy anyways i would stick to ordering or buying from your carriers retail store odds are the phones bestbuy get will have out of date os's and not handled very well. used to work at best buy 3 years ago and it was shameful and taught me not to make serious purchases from them haha
    03-13-09 04:10 AM
    Maybe that's the real reason circuit city went outta bizness......they left the trackballs on their display units.

Bankruptcy by trackball......

03-13-09 04:59 AM
    the phones on display at best buy are laughable. i agree on the dumb*** rule though. when i was shopping for my storm i found flip phones in half, buttons missing, and tons of dummy phones that weren't functional. it's very hard to test drive a phone when it's not working.
    Co-Sign. I can't purchase a phone unless I know how it feels.....
    03-13-09 07:31 AM
    Best Buy sucks. All of the decent phones that have on display arent live so I couldn't sample at the actual features of it.

Walked into the AT&T store and they had everything I wanted. Plus, Best Buy is definitely not always a "best buy."
    03-13-09 07:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD