I just wanted to hear your views on what you'd see as being more secure for consumer users

Q10 - 10.3.2.798/SR .516  < σиє ℓσνє > 
    06-06-15 11:10 AM
    BES is not just an encrytion layer, it's a whole lot more, with settings to disable part of the phone and much more.

I don't think the comparison applies.
    ZeBB45 likes this.
    06-06-15 11:51 AM
    BES forces on the encryption of the device's storage (which you can choose to turn on yourself as a consumer), and it provides a VPN that protects BBM (with a unique corporate encryption key) and access to specific corporate resources - typically corporate email and sometimes corporate file-shares or custom corporate apps.

What it doesn't do is protect anything else, so if you use Hotmail, or browse the web, or play a game, or use a non-corporate app, you are accessing the Internet through your carrier's network (or via whatever WiFi you might be connected to) just like any other mobile phone.

An encrypted VPN could be used in addition to BES to, say, provide you with an encrypted connection (over the Internet) to access your home network, allowing you to pull files from it securely. But a VPN only secures a connection between two end-points, so unless you are routing all of your Internet activities through a proxy server at the other end of a VPN, it isn't going to do anything except protect your connections to the services at the other end of the VPN tunnel.

When it comes to these things, you have to have very specific requirements of what exactly you want to secure, and then you can figure out how to actually accomplish it.
    ZeBB45 likes this.
    06-07-15 11:52 AM
    Thanks you for the informative responses. I was under the impression that BES encrypted Internet traffic also

06-07-15 02:16 PM
    Thanks you for the informative responses. I was under the impression that BES encrypted Internet traffic also

Even if it did, the server would be the endpoint, and like TOR, the traffic would then be unprotected when leaving the server, ...

... let's say for instance it's HTTP (plain readable) instead of HTTPS (encrypted)

:-D

�   HaPPy Queen's Birthday weekend...   �
    06-07-15 10:33 PM