Hey all,

I recently upgraded to 5.0.545 and noticed that now my berry weather GPS is all wacky (I live in souther ontario and it says my currently location weather is for Seattle, WA

Is this problem because of the upgrade in OS or is there a known problem with the current location weather?

thanks for your help
    04-03-10 10:46 PM
    Hey all,

I recently upgraded to 5.0.545 and noticed that now my berry weather GPS is all wacky (I live in souther ontario and it says my currently location weather is for Seattle, WA

Is this problem because of the upgrade in OS or is there a known problem with the current location weather?

thanks for your help
    First of all you probably want to know if you are using GPS only or GPS with Cell Fallback.

Getting a Current Location of Seattle, WA when in fact you're someplace else is a common problem with some 3G towers. 3G towers use a different LAC than 2G towers and it's not unusual for all apps that use tower location to show problems on 3G (it's been noted for Google Maps, BerryWeather, and SignaLoc which all determine location the same way and share the same database).

True GPS would not be affected by this but if your OS upgrade "did something" to GPS you might now be falling back to Cell and thus seeing this problem. One thing you might test is to force your device to 2G and update the location - if that gives you the correct location then the problem is with a local 3G tower.
    04-04-10 04:22 AM
    JR, i appreciate you responding in my thread yesterday regarding the same thing. i just find it hard to believe that this is happening to people, right when they update their OS. like i said before, it was working fine right up until i updated. im wondering if there is some radio file issue in the newer OS builds thats cutting this info off for 3G.
    04-04-10 04:31 AM
    im wondering if there is some radio file issue in the newer OS builds thats cutting this info off for 3G.
    Though I'm not aware that there is anything, it's certainly possible - RIM shares so little about what they do and what they change with OS releases and there are so many iterations around right now of OS 5 it's hard to keep them straight. While at this point it's only speculation that RIM has done something, the number of users reporting problems with new versions of OS 5 makes it more likely that they have.

Another possibility arises because RIM has their own app that "competes" (sort of) with Google Maps - Blackberry Maps. While Google Maps uses both GPS and Cell Tower location, up to this point Blackberry Maps only uses GPS (at least from what I can see on my device). It's entirely possible that RIM is moving towards some sort of tower location system of their own for Blackberry Maps and that this is causing problems with the existing Google Maps tower location system - and BerryWeather depends on that system for Cell Tower location (but not for GPS location).

But again a key question is whether or not 2G works for you when 3G does not because the other thing that's very dynamic is what the carriers are doing with 3G. I am personally aware that where I am there isn't any 3G coverage, but 20 miles away (in a larger city) there is - but 3G tower location does not work for me there and I am running 5.0.0.423 and have been for some time.
    Last edited by JR956678; 04-04-10 at 06:28 AM.
    04-04-10 06:22 AM
    If this is hapenning right after an OS update then just maybe the internal GPS has not had time to lock. I am not saying that this is the fix but please try going to Options, Advanced Options, GPS, Press Menu and select Refresh GPS. The process will take several minutes and you really need to be outdoors for it to work best. I have managed it with the phone stood against a window with a clear sky view.

Maybe this will help.
    04-04-10 07:05 AM
    I have this problem with every os I have used. When I am at work at heathrow airport it tells me I am in an airport in Greece.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-10 07:07 AM
    If this is hapenning right after an OS update then just maybe the internal GPS has not had time to lock. I am not saying that this is the fix but please try going to Options, Advanced Options, GPS, Press Menu and select Refresh GPS. The process will take several minutes and you really need to be outdoors for it to work best. I have managed it with the phone stood against a window with a clear sky view.

Maybe this will help.
    its not a GPS issue, its a Cell location issue. BerryWeather, Google maps and SignalLoc no longer get cell site location data while on 3G now, only on EDGE. and it happened right after i left .566 and went to .586. if someone wants to point me to the radio files from .566, ill overwrite them into .593 and see if it fixes it.
    04-04-10 07:19 AM
    It doesn't matter which OS you are running, BerryWeather has issues with location. Here's the response from Bellshare (the maker of BeWeather) when I emailed them about the problem:

"This is a common problem associated with 3G devices. I see you have a 9700. I also have a 9700 and on a regular basis have Long Beach, CA, and Seattle, WA show as my current location.
    This is not an issue with Berryweather, but instead related to either RIM or your carrier's towers.

We at Bellshare are working on a fix for this but part of the possible fix relies on RIM's assistance.

Please be patient and hopefully sooner than later this issue will be fixed."

My 9700 often shows my location as either Seattle or Long Beach. It's correct maybe 75% of the time. I made my home location my actual home location rather than determined by GPS/Cell Location.

I'm on T-Mobile on the original OS .330.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-10 08:39 AM
    Nice response and here's the answer. It's a bug in the program.

I manually set my location using Menu, Nearby Weather station. This works.
    04-04-10 01:54 PM
    ive emailed and talked to Bellshare also. i just find it odd that it was all working fine (3G cell location data for all three programs) right before i didnt the OS upgrade. right after i did that, it stopped. ive never had the 3G location issue before that.
    04-04-10 06:33 PM
    i have also the same problem.
    My issue is:

i cant update berryweather by; TCP, BIS & BES. only i can update through wi-fi.
    why????

i tried all the options and seems only through wi-fi i can update the berryweather although i have BES plan.,

also the strange this is, when i go to GPS from the devise option, it recognize it and give my the current GPS location. but when i try through Berryweather always ( update fails)!!!!
    my devise is 9700 & the berryweather is the latest version.

How can i solve this strange problem?????
    04-05-10 01:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD