Don't think this would happen but if it did, then it's better be a Samsung flagship with BlackBerry 10 installed on it without the Android runtime. They definitely will do better given their "name" and "marketing".. it's a risk but who knows, maybe apps will come to BlackBerry 10 then

But would be cool too if BBM comes preloaded on Samsung devices with possibility to make video calls across the two platforms. I just don't know if it's possible to limit that feature to Samsung phones (!?) and if the apk was leaked, would it work on other Android phones or not

Posted via CB10
    booker1953 likes this.
    03-05-15 09:43 AM
    Well the problem with the OHA is that it is falling apart. Money holds commercial alliances together and the OEMS are making precious little. And now, they are caught in a race for the bottom pricing war. This is a tough pill to swallow given the general mediocre build of the Android platform. As such, Google maybe interested in business relationship with BlackBerry as much as the opposing.
    It's falling apart? Name one significant manufacturer who has left the OHA.
    Donvald likes this.
    03-05-15 09:48 AM
    I have not read this agreement but I would find it strange that Samsung could not have BlackBerry as a subsidiary and build BlackBerry phones.
    Oh, the irony in that statement.

The entire purpose of the OHA is to protect Google, and to make sure that, despite Android being open-source, that manufacturers can't use Android to directly compete against Google. It does this by not letting manufacturers have access to important Google resources (Google Play Store, Google Services Framework, and development support for the Google OS) unless that manufacturer becomes an OHA member and thus agrees to certain conditions. One of those conditions is that they may not manufacture, for themselves, a subsidy they own, or as an OEM for another company, any devices that use a forked (aka non-Google-Certified) version of Android. And just to make it clear, per Google's definition, BB10 is an Android fork, as it contains Android code - if BB10 removed the Android Runtime, then BB10 would no longer have any OHA-related restrictions. That's how Samsung and HTC can build Windows Phones but not BB10 phones.

You might want to read a couple of articles about the most well-known "shutdown" of an OHA member who was going to make a phone running an Android fork: Acer. You can Google and find a ton of articles on your own if you like, but here are a couple to start you off:

The Acer/Google/Alibaba tussle: It's not about open Android | ZDNet

Google speaks up on the Acer/Alibaba affair
    JeepBB, Bbnivende and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    03-05-15 09:55 AM
    Well the problem with the OHA is that it is falling apart. Money holds commercial alliances together and the OEMS are making precious little. And now, they are caught in a race for the bottom pricing war. This is a tough pill to swallow given the general mediocre build of the Android platform. As such, Google maybe interested in business relationship with BlackBerry as much as the opposing.

Posted via CB10
    I never understood these "Everybody should switch to BB10 cause Android Manufacturers aren't making much money with android". What makes people think that anyone would make more money with BB10 than with Android?
    Donvald likes this.
    03-05-15 09:58 AM
    Because of Samsung's membership in the Open Handset Alliance (OHA), and because BB10 contains Android code, if Samsung bought BB, it would be forced to either remove the Android Runtime from BB10 or kill BB10 entirely. Either way, it would effectively end BB10, so I'm not sure this would be the saving grace that you're imagining.
    Unless it's BS

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 10:09 AM
    It's falling apart? Name one significant manufacturer who has left the OHA.
    What is significant **

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 10:10 AM
    What is significant **

Posted via CB10
    p < .05?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 10:15 AM
    What is significant **
    A manufacturer that controlled at least 1% of the market, let's say.
    03-05-15 10:22 AM
    His SG 5 didn't crap out , he dropped it.
    Donvald likes this.
    03-05-15 10:34 AM
    I have not read this agreement but I would find it strange that Samsung could not have BlackBerry as a subsidiary and build BlackBerry phones.

This will not happen, Samsung doesn't need BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe will happen

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:22 AM
    My guess is the partnership is simply about trading some resources.
    Samsung has high end hardware which BlackBerry needs for wholesale prices so they can keep the cost of high end phones down. That way they can afford to not over produce and keep their inventory down while still having decent margins on the phones.
    Samsung needs security. Enough said. If they want to get their foot in the enterprise door, they'll need BlackBerrys help.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 12:17 PM
    My guess is the partnership is simply about trading some resources.
    Samsung has high end hardware which BlackBerry needs for wholesale prices so they can keep the cost of high end phones down. That way they can afford to not over produce and keep their inventory down while still having decent margins on the phones.
    Samsung needs security. Enough said. If they want to get their foot in the enterprise door, they'll need BlackBerrys help.

Posted via CB10
    +1

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 01:31 PM
    My guess is that Samsung is about to become the leader in Security Enterprise Grade smartphones - running the Android OS with optional KNOX or with the BlackBerry Experience. And that Chen is going to soon after having the "BlackBerry Experience" released, announce the end of BB10 development and future devices....

If Chen can get enterprise users to agree to using any device and still paying a small premium on top of the BES Plans... he might be just fine with that. And if a few hardcore fans want to sign up and uses the services too... the more the merrier.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-05-15 01:53 PM
    I think samsung need blackberry for security
    And blackberry need samsung for apps and software..

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 04:47 PM
    No. Another rumor that will die in a couple of years.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:19 PM
    Years!! Such a good rumor then

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-05-15 05:46 PM
    I find Samsung the most offensive company around. I kinda hate to see Blackberry succumb to this.
    03-05-15 09:32 PM
    Is that per publicly listed entity / corporation, so any subsidiary or affiliated business is included in this restriction?

Let's say, Samsung bought BBRY, but kept them separate, or a minority / majority stake, they'd still have to give up either Android or BB10...?

No legal workarounds via creative re-designing of the corporate structure?

:-)

Been wondering for a long time, maybe you can shed some light. Awesome to see you in a thread with such a silly title ;-)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    Or whats to stop them from releasing a Blackberry edition S5 or Note 4 with Blackberry Productivity Suite in place of Touch Wiz?
    03-05-15 09:47 PM
    BlackSam.
    03-05-15 11:19 PM
    Blacksun

:-)

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:31 PM
    My guess is that Samsung is about to become the leader in Security Enterprise Grade smartphones - running the Android OS with optional KNOX or with the BlackBerry Experience. And that Chen is going to soon after having the "BlackBerry Experience" released, announce the end of BB10 development and future devices....

If Chen can get enterprise users to agree to using any device and still paying a small premium on top of the BES Plans... he might be just fine with that. And if a few hardcore fans want to sign up and uses the services too... the more the merrier.

Sam Holo, Chenbacca + the BB rebels

vs.

I.ntergalactic B.attle M.achines + the (evil?) Appire ...

Who will prevail? :-)

Oh, remember IBM DeskStar hard disks
    (yeah, the DeathStar disks, vaporizing your data in seconds)...

Can they rescue the Enterprise space from the deadly iNvasion...?

:-D

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    JeepBB and FobiddenRiceman like this.
    03-06-15 01:21 AM
    Blacksun looool..

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 04:10 AM
    Sam Holo, Chenbacca + the BB rebels

vs.

I.ntergalactic B.attle M.achines + the (evil?) Appire ...

Who will prevail? :-)

Oh, remember IBM DeskStar hard disks
    (yeah, the DeathStar disks, vaporizing your data in seconds)...

Can they rescue the Enterprise space from the deadly iNvasion...?

:-D

Ok

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 06:51 AM
    Ok

Posted via CB10
    Looks like you're seeing through the plot... ;-)

03-06-15 06:59 AM
    For me it's clear that anyone partnering with BB is not interested at all in BB10 as an OS (as in they are not interested in licensing the oOS), but in the MDM products BB develops. For most companies, an iOS or Android device with BES12 for example is a good enough solution that they don't need to buy BB10 devices.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-06-15 07:11 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD