ok...if you have more areas with coverage (edge) for your phone than wifi ...what are the benefits for the use of wifi?why turn on that feature? the only thing I can think of is if you have a laptop with no wifi and you use the phone for that...other then that- what are the pros (or cons) for having wifi?
    08-27-09 06:45 PM
    Wifi is MUCH faster than EDGE or even 3G!!! That's all that really needs to be said about that.
    08-27-09 06:55 PM
    ok....so I should just leave the wifi option on and whenever i am in a wifi area it would overide the edge?
    08-27-09 07:01 PM
    It does not automagically pickup a wifi network... you have to scan for any and connect to them... I leave mine on all day and night... at work and at home I have a wifi network to connect to... so I leave mine on.
    08-27-09 07:03 PM
    ok..so evrytime i am in a new area i have to scan....gotcha....if you are in a place that u had scanned for already in the past, will it pick it up?
    08-27-09 07:08 PM
    ok..so evrytime i am in a new area i have to scan....gotcha....if you are in a place that u had scanned for already in the past, will it pick it up?
    as long as you have that network saved as a profile. whenever i walk into my house or my parents house, it automatically picks up the network and connects to it.
    08-27-09 07:09 PM
    I gotcha....thanks!!
    08-27-09 07:10 PM
    Or if you are at or around a starbucks.... And you set up the network....anytime you are near another on it will pick it up automatically

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-09 08:20 PM
    One word...UMA!

08-27-09 09:31 PM
    One word...UMA!

Yea UMA is great, but the OP is with AT&T and they do not offer it. In this case, UMA is not a factor ... unless the OP is interested in switching carriers but I did not get that from them as an option.
    08-27-09 09:35 PM
    WIFI question: how do I "override" to use WiFi?
    I am currently in the States and the roaming charges are outrageous. Where I am staying has WiFi, so how can I override?

Separate question: whenever I want to view a video like on Youtube, it asks if I want to WAP (whatever that is) but then I never get to see the video.
    Help??

Thanks Crackheads.
    08-27-09 10:15 PM
    WIFI question: how do I "override" to use WiFi?
    I am currently in the States and the roaming charges are outrageous. Where I am staying has WiFi, so how can I override?

Separate question: whenever I want to view a video like on Youtube, it asks if I want to WAP (whatever that is) but then I never get to see the video.
    Help??

Thanks Crackheads.
    There's no need to double-post:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/wi...-video-303590/
    08-27-09 10:59 PM
    Or if you are at or around a starbucks.... And you set up the network....anytime you are near another on it will pick it up automatically

Each Starbucks has its own IP address, so you have to scan again if you go to one you haven't been to before.

Also, Starbucks Wi-Fi is only free if AT&T is your ISP or you have a Starbucks Rewards Card. T-Mobile customers can also get free Wi-Fi at Starbucks through a roaming agreement with AT&T. High-speed internet access at Starbucks | Starbucks Coffee Company

Last edited by lak611; 08-27-09 at 11:30 PM.
    08-27-09 11:22 PM
    I guess Starbucks finally got tired of people just coming in and using the wifi for free....LOL

I recall mine automatically connecting in three different locations.... but maybe at one time I must have set them all up individually.
    08-28-09 08:10 AM
    I guess Starbucks finally got tired of people just coming in and using the wifi for free....LOL

I recall mine automatically connecting in three different locations.... but maybe at one time I must have set them all up individually.
    I never tried Starbucks Wi-Fi on my BB. I'm an AT&T Internet customer, so I take my laptop to Starbucks to surf the Web.

08-28-09 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD