Okay, I have been searching the BB forums all over the internet off and on for over 6 months, and no-one has yet answered this question.

I have a bell Canada BB 8830 World Phone ie it has BOTH CDMA and GSM capabilities. All of the info I've seen so far on the internet is for BB World Editions that are supplied by USA companies (Verizon etc) which are GSM only. My BB apparently won't work on the GSM networks in Nth America because they are the wrong frequencies, but it is compatible with the GSM networks in Europe. Bell charge an arm and a leg for roaming service in Europe. If I buy myself a SIM for whatever country I am going to in Europe and simply slot it in where the Bell GSM SIM currently is in the BB, will it work? Or do I need some "unlocking" code?? When I look in "Advanced Options/SIM Card it shows me a 19 digit number. Is this the SIM IMEI?

Ta/merci/Thank you...anyone??
    03-20-09 06:08 PM
    Hopefully, someone will answer but the Verizon 8830's are the same as yours - cdma in the US (and Canada, I believe).

The thing with Verizon is that you can call them and they will "unlock" the sim card aspect of their phones which will allow a European sim to work although, I understand there may be limits such as phone-only and no data and I believe you wind up with a different phone number if you do not use the verizon sim card. I don't know what bell does about sim-locking.

There is a thread in the 8830 subforum (if you have not discovered it yet) near the top under STICKIES which talks about unlocking altho a lot is about the verizon issues.
    03-20-09 07:47 PM
    8830 Os 4.5.0.135 Verizon .help me plese,e-mail to me,e-mail:[email protected],thank you
    03-24-09 10:10 AM
    Yes you need an unlock code, try your provider first, they should be able to do it free, but must be talked in to it. VZW is pretty good about it, not sure about Bell. IF your provider will not help you then you can get a pro to unlock it for a fee. Horizon Wireless listed in my sig can do it, plus there are several others. Try searching around here and google, BUT try your provider first IF they do it, it will be free.
    03-24-09 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD