Hello all,

While some rumors going around saying RIM may ditch BIS. I would like to tell you all BIS/NOC accelerates the Data transfers. At least that's how it is in the Middle East. I brought my Bold 9900, and my father's iPhone 4S both of us got the same carrier and both connected to H+. I went to download a file on Mediafire from both devices. The same time the same place, same network and same file. BlackBerry was getting a speed of up to 720kb/s at and the iPhone was fighting to reach 300KB/s.

That test was held in Peak time, In a non peak time as 1AM a BlackBerry can reach up to 900kb/s while an iPhone4S keeps stuck at 400Kb/s.

RIM please understand that BB10 without BIS are not BlackBerries, they are iBerries which I personally won't touch any of them unless they use BIS fully but emails use ActiveSync instead of Push.
    04-08-12 04:34 AM
    Not surprised. Slipstream does all that for them.

SlipStream SP :: SlipStream

This is a RIM company.
    04-08-12 04:51 AM
    I though media downloads etc don't go through the NOC.
    04-08-12 04:53 AM
    I though media downloads etc don't go through the NOC.
    They do, only youtube apparently doesn't. Youtube on playbook when bridged does go trough the noc.

Bare in mind any audio and video file download can also be streamed, you have the option to download and stream while downloading
    04-08-12 05:12 AM
    Not surprised. Slipstream does all that for them.

SlipStream SP :: SlipStream

This is a RIM company.
    I know it is. But as BIS goes away this company would become useless for us. As we won't use it anymore but pass through our carriers hungry data servers that more than double your usage instead of compressing it.
    04-08-12 07:04 AM
    They do, only youtube apparently doesn't. Youtube on playbook when bridged does go trough the noc.

Bare in mind any audio and video file download can also be streamed, you have the option to download and stream while downloading
    Exactly, which means on BlackBerry 10 Youtube will pass through the NOC normally making the BIS a complete gateway without having to rely on WAP2 Gateways on our carriers.
    04-08-12 07:06 AM

Haha we learned that the hard way in my bb10 compression thread. Lol

As stated rim bought slipstream which is the top data compression and accelerator to date for mobile solutions.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-08-12 08:02 AM
    Haha we learned that the hard way in my bb10 compression thread. Lol

As stated rim bought slipstream which is the top data compression and accelerator to date for mobile solutions.

& after buying it. There are some awkward reactions from RIM employees now where some employees there saying no more BIS. Then why did you buy it!!!
    04-08-12 08:04 AM
    & after buying it. There are some awkward reactions from RIM employees now where some employees there saying no more BIS. Then why did you buy it!!!

Because rim plans on relying less on the NOC.

The NOC compresses the data now and doesn't really speed it up.

When they migrate off the NOC to a normal carrier solution for data slipstream will come into play by compressing the data that doesn't go through the noc and in turn speeding it up as well.

To my knowledge they only bought them a few months ago but do not use them for regular use today.

04-08-12 06:37 PM
    Because rim plans on relying less on the NOC.

The NOC compresses the data now and doesn't really speed it up.

When they migrate off the NOC to a normal carrier solution for data slipstream will come into play by compressing the data that doesn't go through the noc and in turn speeding it up as well.

To my knowledge they only bought them a few months ago but do not use them for regular use today.

Compression to be done on the device end? That's a big fail as it will only compress the up packets not the down ones. As the down ones come from the uncompressed carrier data servers.

That's why we still need BIS.
    04-08-12 06:39 PM
    Compression to be done on the device end? That's a big fail as it will only compress the up packets not the down ones. As the down ones come from the uncompressed carrier data servers.

That's why we still need BIS.

Well yeah bis or a bis like server to do all the fun stuff behind the scenes.

04-08-12 11:08 PM
    Well i Wished my Berry didn't use a BIS network, the idea is really great, But not worldwide !
    i can' use either Facebook or Blackberry Protect, Appworld, WITHOUT Wi-fi !, and its Frustrating...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-08-12 11:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD