My company will be discontinuing support for BES within the next few weeks and I will be forced to change platforms before the BB10 devices are available. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a 9700 w OS6 working reliably with ActiveSync? If not, what alternative platform would you choose - Android, iOS or Win8?
    11-30-12 02:35 PM
    Not sure on the activeSync. I think I read something about it, but I forget where. And I would go win8 just because ios is ios and android we all know what they're about. Windows phone 8 looks most interesting. Would you come back for bb10?
    11-30-12 02:43 PM
    Windows Phone 8 is your best bet.

Why can't you get your own personal phone?
    11-30-12 02:46 PM
    There is AstraSync, probably about the best Blackberry ActiveSync solution.
    bdguru likes this.
    11-30-12 02:58 PM
    I would certainly consider returning to BB, but only when I'm eligible again for a hardware upgrade... So BB13?
    11-30-12 06:19 PM
    It is my own phone, but I need to access my company email and I will only carry one device.
    11-30-12 06:20 PM
    BB10 uses activesync as far as I know... The PlayBook certainly does. You just need to start selling your IT department on BlackBerry Fusion. Manage all those byod's with ease. I like how that sounded
    11-30-12 06:25 PM
    It is my own phone, but I need to access my company email and I will only carry one device.
    If email is all you care about, set it up as a BIS account. You would then just need to manually sync for calendar, contacts and such.

Via my PlayBook and Tapatalk
    11-30-12 09:43 PM
    Mmmm Activesync. Now when people make fun of you owning an outdated phone, you can ask them how their sync software from the '90s is working out for them...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure if they require you to access email from your phone as part of your job, they'd be required to provide you with a suitable device. If you don't want to give up your BB, don't.
    12-01-12 12:54 AM
    Surely you know someone who's upgraded or switched from a device you can borrow for 3 or 4 months? Friend, family, coworker?
    12-01-12 01:17 AM
    Mmmm Activesync. Now when people make fun of you owning an outdated phone, you can ask them how their sync software from the '90s is working out for them...
    Exchange Activesync (originally called AirSync) was introduced in 2002 and the protocol completely re-written in 2007.
    12-01-12 01:18 AM
    i do believe BB10 will support activesync as well, the current dev alphas and playbook do and RIM wants in on the BYOD market so more of a reason for them to support this
    12-01-12 02:28 AM
    They announced something that it was going to be tied in with activsync bb10 wise and it brought up the discussion that the noc won't be used as much. I remember this!!!!haha
    12-01-12 02:35 AM
    My company said that they didn't support Blackberry, but BIS has support for OWA e-mail so I was able to do that. I don't use corporate calendar or contacts though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    Last edited by lnichols; 12-01-12 at 04:03 PM.
    12-01-12 12:30 PM
    I'm really confused about BYOD. . .sounds like it's BYOD except Blackberry. . .has this been a consistent trend here?
    12-01-12 01:04 PM
    I'm really confused about BYOD. . .sounds like it's BYOD except Blackberry. . .has this been a consistent trend here?
    why cant you bring your BB? It would be supported just the same as any other device, you would have BIS now instead of BES.
    12-01-12 01:08 PM
    why cant you bring your BB? It would be supported just the same as any other device, you would have BIS now instead of BES.
    I think the issue is that BIS currently doesn't support EAS only accounts which most companies ditching BEST seem to be going to. If RIM would support it on BIS then you could use BB for BYOD.
    12-01-12 04:05 PM
    BIS does support exchange accounts as long as they enable OWA (Outlook Web Access). That's what my firm does, so I get work email on my 9800 over my BIS. It's not instant to my phone (it polls up to 15 minutes to as little as 3), and you don't get calender and contact syncing OTA, but it works well enough if email is all that's really important.
    12-01-12 04:56 PM
    BIS does support exchange accounts as long as they enable OWA (Outlook Web Access). That's what my firm does, so I get work email on my 9800 over my BIS. It's not instant to my phone (it polls up to 15 minutes to as little as 3), and you don't get calender and contact syncing OTA, but it works well enough if email is all that's really important.
    My company had that prior to enabling OWA, so I don't believe that is a requirement. That is standard BIS functionality and should work regardless of OWA config.

12-01-12 05:28 PM
    My company had that prior to enabling OWA, so I don't believe that is a requirement. That is standard BIS functionality and should work regardless of OWA config.

Maybe, but back in '07 when I got my first BB, an 8100, I could not get my exchange account set up. Later the next year, when they turned on OWA, I was then able to set it up on my phone. Now, maybe something else was going on that I wasn't aware of, but I just assumed OWA was the difference.
    12-01-12 06:23 PM
    I think the issue is that BIS currently doesn't support EAS only accounts which most companies ditching BEST seem to be going to. If RIM would support it on BIS then you could use BB for BYOD.
    Right, i just figure most companies do have OWA so they could still get the exchange mail.

Exactly

BB does not have direct exchange support and I do not know how it was or is done without OWA being enabled.
    12-01-12 06:32 PM

Exactly
    BB does not have direct exchange support and I do not know how it was or is done without OWA being enabled.
    Neither do I, but I'm just reporting what I experienced. I am the systems admin at my small company, so I am sure it did work.

12-01-12 06:53 PM
    My husband was forced to give up his BB for the same reason you mention, but at least his company bought him his current phone (iP5). If your company is forcing you to change phones because the sync solutions proposed by previous responders won't work for you, the company should buy you the phone.
    12-01-12 10:47 PM
    I suggest you quit, and find a job somewhere that will supply you a BlackBerry.

Simple solution.
    12-02-12 12:08 AM
    I suggest you quit, and find a job somewhere that will supply you a BlackBerry.

Simple solution.
    Wow. That's hardcore. Lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-02-12 12:25 AM
33 12