Hey everyone,

I was thinking a lot about getting a BlackBerry recently, but there are some questions that I couldn't find any reasonable answers for.

1) From what I understand, when you set up an email account to be pushed to you via the web interface or your BB device, you essentially give your login credentials in the hands of RIM in clear text form. Isn't that insanity?

2) If question #1 is true (there you have my software developer DNA ), are there ways to set up an IMAP account without going through RIM's servers? Is that possible with the built-in software or are there any good 3rd party email apps?

3) Is it correct that you can browse the internet on 3G and WiFi without having a BlackBerry option from your carrier?

4) I currently own a Palm Pre. The thing I hate most about it seems so insignificant, but ruined it for me in a big way: You only have 9 volume levels to choose from + total mute. When I purchased my Pre I thought it could easily replace my iPod, but boy was I wrong. I am listening to music mostly in noisy areas like on the bus or train, so the first 6 volume levels were lost for me anyways an for the most part I couldn't find a volume level that felt right. Drove me insane and I went back to carrying both my phone and my iPod with me. Hate it!
    Long story, so here is the question: From how many volume levels can you choose on curret BB OS7 devices when using the hardware buttons? My iPod has 16 + mute and everything in between via a touchable volume slider.

Thanks a lot in advance.
    12-15-11 10:12 AM
    For email without rim's servers, you could use logicmail. It uses "normal" data and doesn't go through BIS. LogicMail for BlackBerry

As far as browsing via wifi without a BIS plan, I know it was possible with os5 devices but I'm not sure about os6 and 7. Maybe it would work with opera mini but I don't think the native browser works without BIS anymore. If I'm wrong I hope someone will correct me.

Volume seems to vary between models. I think the Torch 9850/60 has the best speakers out of the latest devices. Again, I don't know this from personal experience and might need to be corrected.

I hope I was able to help you some.
    12-15-11 11:37 AM
    Hi dairyberry,

thanks for pointing out LogicMail.

Regarding the volume question: I am not talking about the speakers, I was asking about how many volume levels you can set when listening with head phones. I am currently targetting the Curve 9380, so if anybody has one, please tell me how many there are. Just set the level to 0 and then count the number of button pushes until volume is maxed out.
    12-15-11 12:40 PM
    Volume levels vary from device to device. What is level one on my 9930 could be totally different on an iPod or iPhone etc. I can tell you that on my 9930 I find the sound to be better than on my Nano or iPod 5th Gen. Sounds is very nice and clear. I also use noise canceling ear buds.

One thing that a BB cannot do is sync your IMAP folders.
    12-15-11 12:52 PM
    To answer your question. There are 10 steps from mute to full volume.

My phone is a Curve 9350. I would guess that the Curve 9380, if not all blackberries, is the same.
    12-15-11 02:42 PM
    Getting your email on your blackberry is no different than staying logged in to your email on your browser. Its not like rim has a record of it.
    My Torch 9800 has 10 volume settings also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-11 03:15 PM
    1) From what I understand, when you set up an email account to be pushed to you via the web interface or your BB device, you essentially give your login credentials in the hands of RIM in clear text form. Isn't that insanity?
    My carrier's BIS site is an https "secure" site. I suppose you could do a setup, then use the carrier's https web site to change your password(s). I don't know the answer, but wouldn't a BlackBerry's email setup app be at least as secure as an https web site?
    12-15-11 03:49 PM

Where did you get you enter it in "clear text"

Yes you type into text boxes, but using your BB you have both Carrier encryption AND RIM's encryption on your text entry before sending it,
    the same as entering your passwords on a website, or doing online banking, RIM has FIPS approval for data transmission,

Your log in credentials are encrypted as well as they are on your email server, if not better, no one is reading plain text besides you.
    12-15-11 03:53 PM
    Hey everyone,

Don't get a blackberry...I have a 9900 and I regret it...I'm currently on my 3rd phone and hold my breath every morning praying my phone didn't brick itself overnight. I don't play games on my phone so I can care less about angry birds and those kinds of silly apps...but some basic stuff is missing...Kindle, PayPal, Audible, several banking apps...Pandora crashes constantly...the list goes on and on. I've been a loyal RIM customer for many years but its obvious that RIM either doesn't care about fixing this phone or are incapable of doing it...either case, get yourself an iphone or galaxy s2.
    I'll take a lot of heat for this but a lot of people will silently agree with me.

I was thinking a lot about getting a BlackBerry recently, but there are some questions that I couldn't find any reasonable answers for.

2) If question #1 is true (there you have my software developer DNA ), are there ways to set up an IMAP account without going through RIM's servers? Is that possible with the built-in software or are there any good 3rd party email apps?

3) Is it correct that you can browse the internet on 3G and WiFi without having a BlackBerry option from your carrier?

4) I currently own a Palm Pre. The thing I hate most about it seems so insignificant, but ruined it for me in a big way: You only have 9 volume levels to choose from + total mute. When I purchased my Pre I thought it could easily replace my iPod, but boy was I wrong. I am listening to music mostly in noisy areas like on the bus or train, so the first 6 volume levels were lost for me anyways an for the most part I couldn't find a volume level that felt right. Drove me insane and I went back to carrying both my phone and my iPod with me. Hate it!
    Long story, so here is the question: From how many volume levels can you choose on curret BB OS7 devices when using the hardware buttons? My iPod has 16 + mute and everything in between via a touchable volume slider.

Thanks a lot in advance.

12-15-11 10:13 PM
    To answer your question. There are 10 steps from mute to full volume.
    Hm, I don't like that

My carrier's BIS site is an https "secure" site. I suppose you could do a setup, then use the carrier's https web site to change your password(s). I don't know the answer, but wouldn't a BlackBerry's email setup app be at least as secure as an https web site?
    Yes, the credentials are sent via SSL encryption to RIM's servers, but once it arrives, it's unencrypted again, of course.

Where did you get you enter it in "clear text"

Yes you type into text boxes, but using your BB you have both Carrier encryption AND RIM's encryption on your text entry before sending it,
    the same as entering your passwords on a website, or doing online banking, RIM has FIPS approval for data transmission,

Your log in credentials are encrypted as well as they are on your email server, if not better, no one is reading plain text besides you.
    Look, when I use services on the web, I am always dealing with the party in question. No cross services sh*t I am just not comfortable with giving my credentials in the hands of a third party, which seems to be the case, here
    12-16-11 04:44 AM
    Personally, the volume on my 4S is 10x better than my 9800. Just throwing that out there.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    12-16-11 04:52 AM

Look, when I use services on the web, I am always dealing with the party in question. No cross services sh*t I am just not comfortable with giving my credentials in the hands of a third party, which seems to be the case, here

Fair enough,
    RIM products are not for you then.
    Their benefits are lost if you wish to buy pass their NOC
    12-16-11 05:39 AM
    Yes you can use wifi on the 6 and 7 OS. I have a 9780 and used wifi at home all the time.. The volume seems pretty good, i use bbm music....
    12-16-11 05:49 AM
    Some devices will have more powerful volume then the others..
    Some headphones will produce stronger volume..
    The answer to getting good sound at places with much noise is using silicone headphones.

WIFI Email and data - you simple use your BIS account for data, RIM servers keeps it as you are connected to your email always, you have the PIN # of your Blackberry and your BIS account is using it..
    you can use both 3G or wifi, as long as you have the Blackberry data plan from your carrier.
    12-16-11 06:28 AM
    Hm, I don't like that

Yes, the credentials are sent via SSL encryption to RIM's servers, but once it arrives, it's unencrypted again, of course.

I see ... You're leery about letting RIM know your yahoo, hotmail, aol, and gmail passwords. Yes, that's the only way it will work. Without the passwords, RIM wouldn't be able to check those email servers and push the messages to your device. I look at it this way: I don't trust RIM any less than I trust yahoo, hotmail, aol, or gmail with my emails and passwords.
    bquinney and kbz1960 like this.
    12-16-11 06:34 AM
    I see ... You're leery about letting RIM know your yahoo, hotmail, aol, and gmail passwords. Yes, that's the only way it will work. Without the passwords, RIM wouldn't be able to check those email servers and push the messages to your device. I look at it this way: I don't trust RIM any less than I trust yahoo, hotmail, aol, or gmail with my emails and passwords.
    Agreed. RIM couldn't maintain their second-to-none security if they transmitted usernames and passwords without encrypting them first.

I know I pointed you to logicmail but to be honest, your communications would be the safest if it was passing through the NOC.
    12-16-11 09:53 AM
    Wish I was that important where I had to be concerned if RIM had my yahoo password....
    12-16-11 10:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD