and now back to BB.

I bought a T-Mobile Dash back in '05 and still have it. That was one of those phones I just loved and did not want to keep looking to buy another every month. I drove the wheels off of it, so much that I went through 3 batteries and 2 battery covers. All the chrome on the sides has worn off and the logo is gone from me spinning the phone with one hand while driving. I made thousands of calls, a zillion texts and to this day still like it but it is very long in the tooth.

This is where the last 3 years I have been all over the map trying to find a phone that I liked in the same way I liked my Dash. I went G1, iPhone, HTC HD2, HD7, Vibrant, myTouch, (embarrassing I'm purposefully leaving out a bunch) and when I would sell one of those phones on eBay I would go back to the old Dash until I bought another.

I basically was trying all these new phones thinking they were better but after actually using them they just weren't. When your in a business where you are on the phone all day it becomes clear that an all touch screen device has its drawbacks. Little things like ending a call with one hand without looking, or pressing the call button twice to call back without looking etc. are not an option on touch screen devices. I have many reasons why I feel these devices I used over the last few years are inferior for my needs but wont bore you.

Here is where I had enough; the proximity sensor on a touch screen device allows the screen to come on and off as you bring the phone toward or away from your face. This also allows for accidental touches of the screen. I found myself selecting things or worse hanging up on people on accident. An example is on a WP7 device the "end call" button is placed right where your cheek touches the glass when on a call. If you pull the phone away from your cheek to preposition the device you will hang up on the person your talking to because the proximity sensor wakes the screen just long enough for your cheek to hit the hang up button. That is where I had enough!

I grabbed my T-Mobile Dash and thought what phone today has this form factor with a more up to date OS. YOU GOT IT! BB! Because I like the raised buttons like my Dash had I purchased a Curve 3g. I don't miss anything my previous devices could do because the Curve 3g has it covered for what I expect a phone to do. OS6 integrated information very well.

So finally I have what I should have bought in '08 after I retired my Dash, a BB. BB is what a phone should be, iPhone, Android and WP7 is what a tablet should be.
    07-02-11 10:50 AM
    BlackBerry is optimized for communications. Sweet!
    07-02-11 10:58 AM
    Congrats on finally finding what you needed in BlackBerry. I'll never understand why people prefer gimmicky gadgetry like touchscreens; they remind me of those busy websites I hate with all that flash -- video going here, some song playing over there, and lighted ads flashing all around -- I avoid those like the plague.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-11 11:03 AM
    Sounds like you made a wise choice!

07-02-11 11:04 AM
    Well, you've definitely taken the roundabout trip getting here, so a big hi-di-hough and welcome to the world of CrackBerry!

07-02-11 11:05 AM
    Congrats on finally finding what you needed in BlackBerry. I'll never understand why people prefer gimmicky gadgetry like touchscreens; they remind me of those busy websites I hate with all that flash -- video going here, some song playing over there, and lighted ads flashing all around -- I avoid those like the plague.

Oh, wow, you're not kidding! Part of the reason I find it difficult to watch news, TV, or a computer screen for long is all of the peripheral activity. Crawls, chirons, flashing screens, zooming swaying camera shots, and those infernally loud ones make me want to scream. No wonder ADD affects so many people!

07-02-11 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD