Just curious, if Blackberry made it possible for Android apps to work on BB10, why can't we get apps designed for BBos (BB07) to work on BB10?
    04-01-15 01:16 AM
    They likely could if they REALLY wanted to but given how those apps worked and the fact that development on most apps stopped as soon as BB10 dropped, there's not much point. Nevermind the investment time, cost with minimal return and how utterly crap they would look and likely work. The scaling issues alone would drive developers insane.
    rthonpm likes this.
    04-01-15 02:16 AM
    Just curious, if Blackberry made it possible for Android apps to work on BB10, why can't we get apps designed for BBos (BB07) to work on BB10?
    IIRC that was the original strategy to pull-through BBOS users to the new BB10 platform. I can't recall the reasons why BB didn't do it now... though, as said above, unless it was done well it probably wouldn't have helped.

Alternate reality I know, but I wonder if they'd done this if BB would now be down to 37M users, three-quarters of whom are still on BBOS.
    04-01-15 03:30 AM
    BBOS apps would be awkward without a track pad and proper buttons (blackberry button, back button). Besides BB10 apps are generally better.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 08:43 AM
    Alternate reality I know, but I wonder if they'd done this if BB would now be down to 37M users, three-quarters of whom are still on BBOS.
    Kind of my point, some of us hate to leave familiar. I have apps like my Bible app that I've used since my 7200 was new but the application is no longer actively developed . To leave the app is to leave years worth of notes etc... That's just one app, I have others like mileage notes that keeps up with my car maintenance...

I feel like I invested in Blackberry and they left me with no where to go....

It's like they came out with this new OS but expect us to start fresh, buying and learning all new apps etc... If you're going to start fresh, why not choose a new platform that doesn't abandon their loyal customer base (Android, Apple, Windows...)???
    04-01-15 02:57 PM
    BBOS apps would be awkward without a track pad and proper buttons (blackberry button, back button). Besides BB10 apps are generally better.

Posted via CB10
    I would get a classic if I were to upgrade... And it's better is relative if you like what you have....
    04-01-15 02:58 PM
    Kind of my point, some of us hate to leave familiar. I have apps like my Bible app that I've used since my 7200 was new but the application is no longer actively developed . To leave the app is to leave years worth of notes etc... That's just one app, I have others like mileage notes that keeps up with my car maintenance...

I feel like I invested in Blackberry and they left me with no where to go....

It's like they came out with this new OS but expect us to start fresh, buying and learning all new apps etc... If you're going to start fresh, why not choose a new platform that doesn't abandon their loyal customer base (Android, Apple, Windows...)???
    Yup, transitions are never easy, as nobody likes change, but BB didn't seem to even try to encourage BBOS guys to move to BB10. No commonality of Apps or UI experience to ease the learning curve, not even a trade-in discount for BBOS handsets was offered. To pretty much abandon your entire userbase... in the hope of building a new one with new people... well, stupidity and arrogance doesn't quite cover it does it?

There was a series of interesting posts a while back from someone inside BB at the time. He reported that the BB10 devs didn't even talk to the BBOS devs... they were too arrogant to think they had anything to learn from the "old guys". The result was a new OS that was buggy, incomplete, and took no cues from the past... often the same operation/function that was present in BBOS had been implemented differently... not necessarily implemented any better, just differently. And much functionality was missing. To many BBOS guys, BB10 must have seemed like a step backwards - missing and broken functionality. One bug I particularly recall was being unable to reply to emails (SMTP bug) - almost unbelievable - BB releasing a phone that couldn't do email properly!

It was as if BB had taken a decision to positively alienate the BBOS guys. It took until 10.2.1 to restore most of the missing functionality present in BBOS, but by that time I suspect it was already too late to persuade the BBOS guys that BB10 offered them anything they really needed in terms of functionality. And the appalling BB10 App "situation" was starting to become clear by then too, which further reduced the appeal of switching.

And here we are now. A BB userbase of only 37M, most of that userbase still on BBOS, and apparently seeing little point in moving to BB10 or it would have already happened by now.

Hard to see how that will change for the better, but I suppose some will buy a Classic as their BBOS handsets wear out. Many others will, as you say, probably move on to a different platform. After all, if you have to learn a new OS, you might as well go with one that has a thriving ecosystem.
    ljfong, Blacklatino and Soapm like this.
    04-01-15 03:25 PM
    Hard to see how that will change for the better, but I suppose some will buy a Classic as their BBOS handsets wear out. Many others will, as you say, probably move on to a different platform. After all, if you have to learn a new OS, you might as well go with one that has a thriving ecosystem.
    Thanks, you did a great job of putting my feelings to words. Too bad you don't work for RIM, or Blackberry (sorry, they even changed their name)...
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-01-15 03:40 PM
    Yup, transitions are never easy, as nobody likes change, but BB didn't seem to even try to encourage BBOS guys to move to BB10. No commonality of Apps or UI experience to ease the learning curve, not even a trade-in discount for BBOS handsets was offered. To pretty much abandon your entire userbase... in the hope of building a new one with new people... well, stupidity and arrogance doesn't quite cover it does it?

There was a series of interesting posts a while back from someone inside BB at the time. He reported that the BB10 devs didn't even talk to the BBOS devs... they were too arrogant to think they had anything to learn from the "old guys". The result was a new OS that was buggy, incomplete, and took no cues from the past... often the same operation/function that was present in BBOS had been implemented differently... not necessarily implemented any better, just differently. And much functionality was missing. To many BBOS guys, BB10 must have seemed like a step backwards - missing and broken functionality. One bug I particularly recall was being unable to reply to emails (SMTP bug) - almost unbelievable - BB releasing a phone that couldn't do email properly!

It was as if BB had taken a decision to positively alienate the BBOS guys. It took until 10.2.1 to restore most of the missing functionality present in BBOS, but by that time I suspect it was already too late to persuade the BBOS guys that BB10 offered them anything they really needed in terms of functionality. And the appalling BB10 App "situation" was starting to become clear by then too, which further reduced the appeal of switching.

And here we are now. A BB userbase of only 37M, most of that userbase still on BBOS, and apparently seeing little point in moving to BB10 or it would have already happened by now.

Aye. You had me at abandon your entire userbase......and stupidity and arrogance. Wow, just imagining some of the old BlackBerry Legacy apps on BB10 OS. I still remember a few trying to upgrade(not OS hybrids) their Legacy devices from OS 7 to BB10....after being told it wouldn't work
    04-02-15 12:25 PM

Wow, JeepBB, good points. Very good points.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 09:51 AM