Now sis, you know that's a big fat lie...
    http://i57.tinypic.com/vngf29.jpg

You apologists can all take your seats now
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...5yr7o1_250.gif
    Not a lie buddy, there was a version of WhatsApp out last year where the settings got changed and users were forced to download media automatically. I'm using Z30 now and don't have that issue anymore but some of my friends still do.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 08:21 AM
    At least send a damn pic that looks good an not a fuzz.
    04-07-14 09:14 AM
    Can someone test attaching a photo using the 'file' method? I just tested on mine and it looks like it's the full file in my BBM chat.
    04-07-14 12:36 PM
    when you go to download the picture it should ask do you want to download it in full resolution or compressed resolution or make it a setting in BBM settings
    04-07-14 03:04 PM
    Can someone test attaching a photo using the 'file' method? I just tested on mine and it looks like it's the full file in my BBM chat.
    BBOS7 definitely compresses it
    04-07-14 03:05 PM
    BBM is perfect for me right now since I'm on a limited data plan.

My friends send me a lot of random pics on BBM. From the 15-20 pics sent, I request HQ for maybe 3-4, and I have control over what to download on my phone, this saves data.

WhatsApp on the other hand is very annoying. I get back home from work, and I check my phone only to see loads of unwanted high quality pics and videos automatically downloaded to my phone without my permission. I have to go thru each one and delete the ones I don't like. Some videos are 16mb so it's not data friendly.

So in my case, I really hope BBM doesn't become like WhatsApp. It's perfect as it is, the long press for HQ on BBM is much more preferable and less of a hassle than manually sorting thru and deleting unwanted pics and videos from WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    WhatsApp compresses images as well. So does Facebook Messenger, ChatOn, and a multitude of other messengers.

You are not making any sense.

You cannot view a video on BBM without downloading it so it's not like that would be much different there, at all. Same for ChatOn. You cannot watch a video unless the data is either downloaded or streamed to your device.

The issue is not that BBM compresses images. Most IM applications (Skype being an exception) compress images, otherwise they'd be paying a metric ton in data costs. The problem is that since Blackberry goes overboard with their compression, you're basically forced to download the HQ version on any image if you want to see any decent amount of detail in the picture - especially if you're viewing it on a larger and higher resolution screen. Their compression is way too aggressive. This is why a 3MB image gets compressed down to like 50-100kb when sending over BBM.

Have you ever viewed any of those Low Quality BBM picture transfers on a 5.7" 1080p screen? Lol, don't.

They need to compress the images less and send a more usable image over by default. This would even remove the need for them to have a Request HQ option in the software. That is not needed in WhatsApp, Facebook, ChatOn, Hangouts, etc. even though those applications still compress or resize images sent through them.
    04-07-14 04:04 PM
    Basically just saying it's embarrassing to ask a girl "for a high resolution image " of her **** right?

If this is the case I agree with the OP %100

Posted via CB10
    kevets, mnc76 and Vector-SS like this.
    04-07-14 04:07 PM
    edit: someone answered my question .......erase.

Powered by BlackBerry
    Last edited by xBURK; 04-08-14 at 12:53 AM.
    04-07-14 04:38 PM
    This honestly wouldn't be a big deal if the initial compression wasn't something that resembled "poor jpeg" quality settings from 1992. If the initial send was like 200k the picture would be fine. Everyone would be happy.
    kbz1960 and AnimalPak200 like this.
    04-07-14 05:22 PM
    I think most people in here are being purposely ignorant. AFAIK, BBM is the only one that you CAN actually get the full picture. The others - including WhatsApp - send a low-res picture.

THE DIFFERENCE: The low-res pictures sent in the other ones aren't awfully low-res.

All that needs to happen is that the quality of the low-res ones that BBM sends needs to be increased a fair amount.

I would like a picture where I can see what is happening in the picture without any problems. However, if I want to zoom in and check out the new bird tattoo that this crazy chick just got in her cleavage, I want to be able to request the full picture.

I just checked and the photos that I've received in WhatsApp are all about 150KB. They're all photos that were taken on a camera that definitely doesn't only take 540x960 res photos - the Samsung GS4.

It looks like it just scales the photos to about a tenth of their actual size or whatever...

Either way, BBM needs to have better low-res pictures...The rest, I like.
    MaxxxBerry23 likes this.
    04-07-14 06:29 PM
    okay then go use whatsapp then if you think its so great. its a piece of crap. unsecure and highly hackable plus you have to give out your phone number. If you are using it for business i dont know how you would even consider doing that. Just garbage. Sorry you might think bbm is an abomination but to me its the only choice for business use. I will stick to BBM and be better off for it. We use it for business and high res pictures and never have an issue. Sorry if it doesnt meet your standards but whatsapp is not even comparable.
    04-07-14 07:02 PM
    Does BBM Groups use the same lo-res/hi-res picture stuff? The pics that we share on there seem pretty good. Not full quality but zoomable with good detail.
    04-07-14 07:53 PM
    okay then go use whatsapp then if you think its so great. its a piece of crap. unsecure and highly hackable plus you have to give out your phone number. If you are using it for business i dont know how you would even consider doing that. Just garbage. Sorry you might think bbm is an abomination but to me its the only choice for business use. I will stick to BBM and be better off for it. We use it for business and high res pictures and never have an issue. Sorry if it doesnt meet your standards but whatsapp is not even comparable.
    I highly doubt anyone would be interested in hacking you... not even if you paid them to.
    04-07-14 08:37 PM
    I think most people in here are being purposely ignorant. AFAIK, BBM is the only one that you CAN actually get the full picture. The others - including WhatsApp - send a low-res picture.

THE DIFFERENCE: The low-res pictures sent in the other ones aren't awfully low-res.

All that needs to happen is that the quality of the low-res ones that BBM sends needs to be increased a fair amount.

I would like a picture where I can see what is happening in the picture without any problems. However, if I want to zoom in and check out the new bird tattoo that this crazy chick just got in her cleavage, I want to be able to request the full picture.

I just checked and the photos that I've received in WhatsApp are all about 150KB. They're all photos that were taken on a camera that definitely doesn't only take 540x960 res photos - the Samsung GS4.

It looks like it just scales the photos to about a tenth of their actual size or whatever...

Either way, BBM needs to have better low-res pictures...The rest, I like.
    Tempest in a teapot, imo.

Who cares if they use WhatsApp for sharing pictures? OH NO, it's not like there isn't SMS, Instagram, FaceBook, etc... if you truly want to share your photos in hi-res... SMFH...

In the meantime, the rest of the world can use BBM for LOW RES photos, and also texting, groups, channels, voice chats, glympse, etc... Seriously, that's the complaint about BBM?

Eventually they'll get around to high res photo sharing for those who are too stupid to figure out another way to share on their mobile devices. But I doubt that's the priority for the messaging suite.

Just a guess.
    04-07-14 08:47 PM
    Tempest in a teapot, imo.

Who cares if they use WhatsApp for sharing pictures? OH NO, it's not like there isn't SMS, Instagram, FaceBook, etc... if you truly want to share your photos in hi-res... SMFH...

In the meantime, the rest of the world can use BBM for LOW RES photos, and also texting, groups, channels, voice chats, glympse, etc... Seriously, that's the complaint about BBM?

Eventually they'll get around to high res photo sharing for those who are too stupid to figure out another way to share on their mobile devices. But I doubt that's the priority for the messaging suite.

Just a guess.
    Unreal. Other than sending text, there is no more fundamental, and important function than sending images. It is important not only socially, but of critical importance to many businesses, and often essential to productivity.

Saying they can just use another app is just... Well I don't think I need to say it...lol. What absurdity! Hey, use bbm! " "It can't do xxx...." " well just use whatsapp for that...."

If out were not darn important to bb.... Well...they'll get what they deserve.
    04-07-14 10:16 PM
    Unreal. Other than sending text, there is no more fundamental, and important function than sending images. It is important not only socially, but of critical importance to many businesses, and often essential to productivity.
    No, it's not. Not at all, not even remotely close.

Pull your head out of your .... Pictures / Images are 90% social, and you're being disingenuous by suggesting otherwise. WHAT business do you work in that pictures are as critical as text messages? Details, otherwise you're just making it up. And an example of WHY, while you're at it.

NO. It's text messages between colleagues, that's the bulk of communication whether it's BlackBerry, Apple, Android, etc.

Saying they can just use another app is just... Well I don't think I need to say it...lol. What absurdity! Hey, use bbm! " "It can't do xxx...." " well just use whatsapp for that...."
    I think you DO need to say it. Be specific.

Assuming that most iOS and Android users don't use BBM in Enterprise, what App do they use?

Well...they'll get what they deserve.
    Keep hoping. Nice to see you still hang out in the BlackBerry forums.
    04-07-14 10:37 PM
    1. The Person sending the pictures should have control.

2. It should be an option.

3. Recipient should be able to request.

4. This:

BBM's 'high rez picture' system is an abomination-img_20140408_091445.png

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 08:18 AM
    I think BB10 should invoke that ^ prompt any time you try to send an image by any means.

Why only for email?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 08:34 AM
    All of my friends were on board with getting BBM.

They were interested.

But the group chat functionality. And specifically the pictures.... f-ing killed it.

I looked like an *****. But moreover. BBM has some serious making up to do before they're going to get those 15 users back

Z30 Fido
    drkpitt likes this.
    05-02-14 04:29 AM
69 123