I personally don't like this idea at all. There user base isn't that big and why should BlackBerry make a BBM app when Windows isn't even willing to make a native Skype app?

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 07:49 AM
    Beggers are not the choosers

Posted via CB10
    knownastron likes this.
    02-24-14 07:51 AM
    Well for one thing, it would potentially decrease the number of Skype users. Also, I'd think this will also tie into the ability to manage Windows Phone devices with the next version of BES 10.
    tonytraj17 likes this.
    02-24-14 07:52 AM
    Remember that is what other app developers say about BlackBerry too
    Also BlackBerry needs to go truly cross platform. Native Skype or not they can't miss opportunities like this anymore.
    Don't get me wrong however, I'd love a native Skype app till BBM Video goes cross platform

Posted via CB10
    Loc22 likes this.
    02-24-14 07:56 AM
    I personally don't like this idea at all. There user base isn't that big and why should BlackBerry make a BBM app when Windows isn't even willing to make a native Skype app?

Posted via CB10
    Windows phone userbase is growing and WhatApp already is available on that platform, so to me it makes sense to have BBM also available for it as well.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    Loc22 likes this.
    02-24-14 08:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    It is a good idea if you want the user base to grow. Every device possible. BB10 don't need Skype no more.
    shaleem and web99 like this.
    02-24-14 08:28 AM
    You can't really call it #BBM4ALL if it's not available on all platforms.

Posted via CB10
    shaleem, JeepBB, saxxman and 1 others like this.
    02-24-14 08:41 AM
    BlackBerry should absolutely go for it.
    02-24-14 09:08 AM
    Tit-For-Tat is never a sound consideration when doing business. If Windows won't make a native Skype app, then BB has the opportunity to stand above them and be better.

The size of the WP userbase itself is inconsequential compared to the potential impact of the WP userbase affecting other platforms. WP users have contacts sporting iOS, Android, and BB devices. For every WP user, there could be 10-100 contacts using other platforms that will have to use a non-BBM alternative to message the WP user. Assuming there are 10 million WP users in the wild (arbitrary number), that could be a potential of 500 million non-WP users who choose not to use BBM as their standard messaging platform simply because it doesn't accommodate their WP contacts.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-24-14 09:08 AM
    Tit-For-Tat is never a sound consideration when doing business. If Windows won't make a native Skype app, then BB has the opportunity to stand above them and be better.

The size of the WP userbase itself is inconsequential compared to the potential impact of other platforms. WP users have contacts sporting iOS, Android, and BB devices. For every WP user, there could be 10-100 contacts using other platforms that will have to use a non-BBM alternative to message the WP user. Assuming there are 10 million WP users in the wild (arbitrary number), that could be a potential of 500 million who choose not to use BBM as their standard messaging platform because it doesn't accommodate their WP contacts.
    That is a very good point. However, coming from 720,820 and 920, one of the issues I have had with WP is their delayed notifications, not just for messaging but also system info (such as battery life) in general: they don't seem real time, but rather timely updates so for example on WhatsApp, someone might have sent me a message 10 minutes ago but I may only receive it now. Wonder if it will be the same case with BBM.

Posted using my red Zed 10 and Z30
    02-24-14 09:12 AM
    Maybe supporting Windows phone is simply an intermediate step on the way to supporting Windows.

In any case, the only way for BBM to become a real player is for them to support everything possible. There is a reason people still use clunky SMS... because it even works on feature phones!

Posted via CB10
    web99 likes this.
    02-24-14 09:22 AM
    i think its a smart move from BB, there are a lot of WP users out there and considering that whatsapp will add call feature in April, BBM needs to be established as soon as possible
    web99 and Loc22 like this.
    02-24-14 09:37 AM
    it's more than 28 million a good number of people and that's a way to connect every people

wp people recommend bbm to their ios android friend and that would be helpful
    02-24-14 09:39 AM
    This is great news for BlackBerry, and i dont care for a native skype app. If BBM can reach all major players and bring their own VOIP and Video services skype will be obsolete.
    02-24-14 09:46 AM
    This move should've been announced last quarter already IMO. BlackBerry always wanted to turn BBM in a fully featured IM system which can compete with the bigger boys like WhatsApp, Viber and Skype out there.
    In order to do so, they need to be on as many plattforms as possible. With BB10, BBOS and of course lately Android and iOS they're already covering a majority of the market. Yet they're still missing the new number three in form of Windows Phone. In some countries WP sales already topped those of iOS.

Argueing MS still hasn't announced a native Skype app for BB10 you are completely missing the point. Skype already is quite huge, I'd say it already is more important than BBM. In addition, while no WP user can even access BBM, BB10 users can at least access Skype, even if the application isn't the best around. So if BBRY wants BBM to grow, they'll need to move on to other plattforms.

One of the most major benefits of the newer-age IM services like WhatsApp or Viber is the availability for major plattforms. Take WhatsApp, you can have it on virtually every smartphone out there. Be it Symbian, MeeGo, Android, iOS, BBOS, BB10, Windows Phone or even Jolla Sailfish: It's a nobrainer, no matter which smartphone you and your contacts have, you can install WhatsApp.
    Rising star number two, Viber, is similar deployed: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Symbian and BBOS.

Now I don't want to say BBRY absolutely needs to get support for Symbian or Sailfish too, but a large and still emerging third plattform like Windows Phone is simply too much to miss out.
    Quite some WP users already gave up on BBM, because they and their contacts have already moved on. However I've already read a few comments about people who are really excited to get (back to) BBM in the hopefully near future.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-24-14 09:56 AM