Hi everyone I'm sure others have the same situation, basically I have a 8900 Curve however for my every day phoen I want to use an iPhone but NEED BBM!!! my plan has the BlackBerry Data option so if I put my sim in my blackberry everything works (BBM) and all data... If I would hypothetically clone my sim card and put 1 in the iphone and 1 in the blackberry but with the blackberry radio off, would BBM work? I think it would. and more importantly would there be any communication with my blackberry and the carrier basically letting them know i would have a cloned sim card, I don't want to do anything wrong I just wanna use my blackberry for BBM and my iPhone as my phone, plain and simple and as it stands I am paying for the BBM service.
    11-05-10 11:00 AM
    , I don't want to do anything wrong I just wanna use my blackberry for BBM and my iPhone as my phone, plain and simple and as it stands I am paying for the BBM service.
    thanks for the laugh!!
    11-05-10 11:05 AM
    Illegal per FCC regulations. Cell Phone Fraud
    11-05-10 11:24 AM
    I was saying HYPOTHETICALLY!!! lol
    11-05-10 11:36 AM
    my plan has the BlackBerry Data ...
    What am I missing here?

Correct me if I am wrong, but your 8900 supports IP to BIS. There is no need to have your SIM card in the device on Wifi, it is your PIN that matters.

Unfortunatly, I can't test that. I use Wifi to access BIS through UMA.

802.11 b/g
    WPA / WPA2 Personal and EnterpriseCisco CCX certified
    Wi-Fi� access to BlackBerry� Enterprise Server
    Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry� Internet Bundle
    Support for UMA (carrier-dependent)
    11-05-10 11:43 AM
    What am I missing here?

Correct me if I am wrong, but your 8900 supports IP to BIS. There is no need to have your SIM card in the device on Wifi, it is your PIN that matters.

Unfortunatly, I can't test that. I use Wifi to access BIS through UMA.
    Well all i know is i have a 8900, as far as settings go there might be something I need to change but if it does support IP-->BIS then theres no reason it shouldn't work over wifi, is there any setting you might be aware of for me to change to make this work?

But yes as you quoted I DO have a blackberry data plan with the pin from this 8900 to work.
    11-05-10 11:48 AM
    Check a few setting with the SIM card installed.

Connections / Wifi: On

You should see the network aquired with a Green check mark.

If not: Connections / Wifi Options. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics.

There will be a status message to help troubleshoot it further.

Next, check: Options / Mobile Network. Data Services should be On. Connections Preferences Wifi Prefered, or Wifi Only. Network Selection Mode defaults to Auto, but you also have a manual option.

Verify your BIS is working with a BBM, then pull the SIM card.

After it restarts and aquires the Wifi network, try another BBM.
    11-05-10 11:58 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Host Routing Table settings get erased whenever you remove the SIM card? That happens on my Bold 9650 whenever I'm switching out SIMs, even if I'm using CDMA..it always re-registers and downloads the service books again.

And without the host routing table entries, your BB won't be able to connect to BIS at all.
    11-05-10 12:19 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Host Routing Table settings get erased whenever you remove the SIM card? That happens on my Bold 9650 whenever I'm switching out SIMs, even if I'm using CDMA..it always re-registers and downloads the service books again.

And without the host routing table entries, your BB won't be able to connect to BIS at all.
    That seems very logical and makes perfect sense as to whats going on, so how can I force those entries not to delete? and again if its just a sim getting removed issue i can always remove the sim without rebooting the phone technically would that resolve that hmm or how can I just keep those service books registered.
    11-05-10 12:31 PM
    i can always remove the sim without rebooting the phone ...
    The SIM card is under the battery. If you try applying external power while messing with the battery, I am betting on Smoke.

I belive Culex has answer, it is still tied to the SIM card.
    11-05-10 12:45 PM
    are the tables downloaded from the carrier regardless?? so if i take any fido sim card even a new one which would allow communications with fido or would it need to be the sim with the blackberry data package on it?
    11-05-10 03:41 PM
    I don't fully understand how the blackberry interacts with BIS but I know that I cannot send PIN messages or BBM anyone without my active sim card. Without the sim card I can still download things and browse the internet over wi-fi...

I was just trying this 4 days ago
    11-05-10 04:11 PM
    Well I do understand that the service provider whoever it may be does need to let blackberry know that your pin is active adn that you subscribe and pay for the service however I would think that if a person is willing to pay the X$/month for a blackberry data package that once that pin is active it shouldnt matter if they are using a sim in the phone, the pin shoul dbe active regardless so long as the phone has some internet access aka via WiFi
    11-06-10 09:11 AM
    Maybe there is a way you can download the appropriate service books and then just install them on the BB.
    11-06-10 09:47 AM
    That would be perfect, anyone know if thats doable?
    11-06-10 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD