I had a non-believer (kidding) on my Facebook asking "Why use BBM when you have XYZ", I ended up writing a bit about why I value BBM. I'm sure some of us who see it's value have seen or had similar arguments, so i'll cross post my points here to help define why. The below ended up comparing Facebook Chat to BBM, but the points stick either way.

I could compare the two on multiple facets. Although, i'd have to sit down with the latest version of both and do a technical comparison. Just straight up functionality both do well, and are comparable. At the end it kinda comes down to what you as a user value, some of the things I like about BBM specifically, others won't care about.

The security argument is often neglected, but for me personally, I like my privacy. I like knowing the fact that the only person decrypting my message, is the one receiving it. Especially in the way the internet is moving, it's one of the last few mainstream services that take security seriously. Facebook, a site that makes their moolah off your information, and is in bed with the NSA lacks in that department. Tell me I wear a Tinfoil hat, but just wait till future employers get hold of your Google searches. Our generation is so delved into vineing our twerk sessions, we're going to get a huge wakeup call one day.

Facebook Chat having a desktop/web client is a bonus in the cross-platform argument. I'll give them that. They have the user base to work backwords from a website to a mobile chat client, and the executed.

Group messaging, for me, is a huge reason I look to IM clients. Last i used Facebook's Chat, there was no dedicated group support. It's the only reason I used Whatsapp before. Nothing is more annoying then sending the same message, to the same people, to hold the same discussion, but only receive input back and forth between you and another, instead of collectively. With this, comes all the other advantages (picture sharing, event planning). I refuse to SMS people if i have them on BBM or Whatsapp.

This point is a little hard to put into words, but I personally like having a smaller, dedicated list of contacts I intend on talking to, instead of the 600 individuals on my facebook profile. It's a different relationship having a BBM contact, then having a friend on facebook. (similar concept as following someone on twitter, it's just a different relationship).

Also, Canadian. It's our last tech giant lol. It's nice seeing us do well in some way.

They're both IM clients at the end of the day. It's like comparing Honda and Toyota, both cars, but people like each for a different reason. There's no glaring issue wrong with Fbook Chat, and no glaring issue wrong with BBM, that would dismiss the other.

The reason we're seeing huge adoption now, is because people loved BBM, they remember how good it was, and still is. It's also only 2 days into being cross-platform, let's see how well they support updates.
    Hopefully I highlighted some key points, i'm sure their are more out there Again just thought this would be useful.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    10-23-13 09:00 AM
    Understand your points... that being said, WhatsApp groups do include the whole lot...

But I also am ECSTATIC to have BBM on my non BlackBerry devices too.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    10-23-13 09:03 AM
    The irony of this argument is that many CBers who love BBM and make similar arguments about its utility will flip sides and argue against the utility of other apps.

Pre-BBMx: "You don't need apps."

Post-BBMx: "You gotta use BBM!"
    10-23-13 09:07 AM
    Understand your points... that being said, WhatsApp groups do include the whole lot...

But I also am ECSTATIC to have BBM on my non BlackBerry devices too.
    Yep, agreed.

But in direct comparison to Whatsapp, It's me giving out my phone number vs my pin. I value that added level of abstraction. And now with BBM linked to your BBID, if my PIN switches my contacts come with me. I have people on Whatsapp that changed their number, so they're still on my phone but it's not actually them. Also the security issue again comes into play, it's well-known Whatapp does not compare to BBM at that level.

Again, Pros and Cons are sometimes technical fact, and sometimes user opinion/values. It's difficult to produce a single argument stating why BBM is "da bestest". Have to compare them each individually.
    10-23-13 09:08 AM
    I've been reading bbm is no more secure than most messengers or even some provide better security unless you're on a BES server.
    10-23-13 09:12 AM
    I've been reading bbm is no more secure than most messengers or even some provide better security unless you're on a BES server.

Not denying the fact as I'm not sure how the do it anymore. Pretty sure a BES server wouldn't effect it. But just for reference:

iMessage: Hackers: Here's how Apple's iMessage surveillance flaw works (video) | ZDNet
    WhatsApp: Critical WhatsApp crypto flaw threatens user privacy, researchers warn | Ars Technica
    10-23-13 09:18 AM
    Tell me I wear a Tinfoil hat, but just wait till future employers get hold of your Google searches.
    Whether the actual communications are more secure or not is only part of the argument. I wouldn't want any of my data or communications archived on the NSA's facebook servers. I give that NSA collaborator, facebook, nothing.
    DiJu519 likes this.
    10-23-13 09:21 AM