I totally agree. BBM.com used smart business sense to built cross-platform.
    Actually Blackberry didn't use smart business sense which is why they're struggling a bit now.

Smart Business Sense: Going cross platform early. Trump everyone. Be the leader have everyone scramble to match you!

Fairly Smart Business sense: Seeing the rise of the small platforms. Seeing Whatsapp, Viber, LINE start to make a dent and then deciding that's the way to go. Start coding BBM for Android, iOS, Windows Phone ASAP and have it working well. Don't release it but closely watch the market and pull the trigger on the release when you think you need to.

Obvious business sense: Seeing big names getting into the messaging business. Apple doesn't go cross platform but works with iPads, Macs, and the iPhone. Google and Facebook go cross platforms. The small platforms gain more and more steam. Then deciding to go cross platform.

Bad business sense: Allowing many competitors to gain market share bigger than yours before going cross platform. Then realizing BBM will be left as a highly specialized and barely used platform if they don't go cross platform. Then deciding "you know this isn't good is it?" This is where Blackberry is.

Very bad business sense: Never going cross platform.

You know they waited too long when multiple people you know who used to use Blackberry extensively for years don't even have an interest in installing BBM because "no one I know uses it anymore except you." My 2 friends that previously were big Blackberry users no longer care about it since everyone they know have already moved off of it years ago. The problem with waiting so long is everyone already became vested in other platforms and BBM isn't really superior to the other platforms so there's no incentive to switch. So going cross platform is smart business sense. Waiting as long as Blackberry did is dumb business sense.

You can point out iMessage isn't cross platform and you'd be right, but Apple's a different beast (Blackberry doesn't have the name recognition or common appeal Apple does) and even then I think they're going to suffer for it too in the future.
    tack likes this.
    03-02-14 05:21 PM
    Actually Blackberry didn't use smart business sense which is why they're struggling a bit now.

Smart Business Sense: Going cross platform early. Trump everyone. Be the leader have everyone scramble to match you!

Fairly Smart Business sense: Seeing the rise of the small platforms. Seeing Whatsapp, Viber, LINE start to make a dent and then deciding that's the way to go. Start coding BBM for Android, iOS, Windows Phone ASAP and have it working well. Don't release it but closely watch the market and pull the trigger on the release when you think you need to.

Obvious business sense: Seeing big names getting into the messaging business. Apple doesn't go cross platform but works with iPads, Macs, and the iPhone. Google and Facebook go cross platforms. The small platforms gain more and more steam. Then deciding to go cross platform.

Bad business sense: Allowing many competitors to gain market share bigger than yours before going cross platform. Then realizing BBM will be left as a highly specialized and barely used platform if they don't go cross platform. Then deciding "you know this isn't good is it?" This is where Blackberry is.

Very bad business sense: Never going cross platform.

You know they waited too long when multiple people you know who used to use Blackberry extensively for years don't even have an interest in installing BBM because "no one I know uses it anymore except you." My 2 friends that previously were big Blackberry users no longer care about it since everyone they know have already moved off of it years ago. The problem with waiting so long is everyone already became vested in other platforms and BBM isn't really superior to the other platforms so there's no incentive to switch. So going cross platform is smart business sense. Waiting as long as Blackberry did is dumb business sense.

You can point out iMessage isn't cross platform and you'd be right, but Apple's a different beast (Blackberry doesn't have the name recognition or common appeal Apple does) and even then I think they're going to suffer for it too in the future.
    Well aren't we Candy today ! You know as well as anybody, this technology moved fast. BBM is not as good ! Well I downloaded what's App again for fun, my contact list ballooned then I got about 30 texts from freaks !

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 06:53 PM
    Please add me to your iMessage group(s)
    [email protected]
    03-21-14 07:35 PM
    That's not a very smart post.

iOS isn't outdated. BBOS7 is outdated. Windows 98 is outdated. A Silvia S12 is outdated.

iOS is still up to date with all of the Web 3.0 needs along with the constant updated with Cocoa.
    The base code is the oldest. Bb10 and android was wrote after the ios base code.

Was a totally smart post and right. Adding a few tweaks and coloured icons and features other platforms already had at the time, aka copy and paste, doesnt make it a new platform os. Bb10 is created on a totally different platform than os7 which was created on a Java platform.

Hate solves nothing, Respect gains everything!
    03-21-14 08:18 PM
    The base code is the oldest. Bb10 and android was wrote after the ios base code.

Was a totally smart post and right. Adding a few tweaks and coloured icons and features other platforms already had at the time, aka copy and paste, doesnt make it a new platform os. Bb10 is created on a totally different platform than os7 which was created on a Java platform.
    What do you mean my "base code"? Qt has been around since the early 1990's. That's a core framework in BB10, on top of which Cascades is built. QNX, of course, has been around for at least 30 years itself.

Not that newer is necessarily better, or that old is necessarily outdated. And all of these, including iOS, have changed quite a bit over time. Cocoa Touch has plenty of roots in NeXTstep, but it's also quite a bit different in many ways.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    mikeo007 likes this.
    03-21-14 08:40 PM
    "BBM has always put security at the forefront. On BlackBerry, the end to end security model is built on a foundation of secure hardware interacting with secure software. Security is reinforced at every level of the device from CPU to boot ROM, to OS and file system, and applications. The root of trust that BlackBerry builds for its customers remains unbroken throughout the chain, and is unlike other security models that rely on the interaction of components from multiple vendors.

On Android, BBM runs and stores all its data within the internal secure storage of the Android sandbox providing higher security than other IM apps that store their database in the shared storage space of the device. Similarly, on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, BBM runs and stores all its data within the iOS app sandbox."

http://crackberry.com/security-and-p...n-integral-bbm