I am probably one of a few, if not the only one, on this board that doesn't use BBM. Granted, I've never tried it but why would anyone use BBM when most cell plans include unlimited texting? Is it for people that don't have that type of plan available? Other than that, what am I missing and why do so many people like BBM so much? Any advantages BBM has over texting if you have unlimited texting available at no extra cost? Thanks.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-06-13 06:26 PM
    I am probably one of a few, if not the only one, on this board that doesn't use BBM. Granted, I've never tried it but why would anyone use BBM when most cell plans include unlimited texting? Is it for people that don't have that type of plan available? Other than that, what am I missing and why do so many people like BBM so much? Any advantages BBM has over texting if you have unlimited texting available at no extra cost? Thanks.
    All my plans always included unlimited text, but i hardly ever used it. BBM was easier and faster. You see when your message is delivered and when it is read. You can also BBM others who are anywhere on the planet, no extra charges as it uses your data etc etc. Newer version of BBM include voice and video chat where you can call someone who is a contact on BBM which again just uses your data and not included minutes (to anyone, anywhere in the world).

Also, on BB10 devices BBM can be used over wifi (Just need your BBID and wifi and you're all set). You don't even need to have a sim card inserted.
    imcurved likes this.
    06-06-13 06:34 PM
    SMS is also limited to 160 characters, and 7 parts max that I have seen. so 7 X 160 for total message and may or may not be delivered in sequence. BBM messages are limited I believe to 2000 characters.

BBM Groups can be utilized to chat with multiple users at the same time, send 1 message they all get it and can reply within the same chat so all the others see it as well. I have not seen that done with SMS.

These are just the 2 that came to me while sitting here sipping coffee. Can't wait till I can get this on my SGS3........
    imcurved likes this.
    06-06-13 06:46 PM
    BBM advantages are huge. Example : I have a family group so my wife and daughter and I can all chat together, even when I'm traveling the world for work. I can post a picture and we all share it and can comment on it. BBM groups have lists too which we use for groceries, gift lists, etc. One person adds something to the list and everyone sees it etc. Shared group calendar so we can share family dental appointments, vacation plans, etc. Not to mention video chat, screen share, the list goes on.

Texting is like passing notes in class when compared to BBM and it's massive modern electronics capabilities.

Posted from my Z10 on CB10
    imcurved and Geeoff like this.
    06-06-13 07:01 PM
    To be honest, there is only one other person that I know that has a BlackBerry and that's my wife. We BBM all the time vs texting, but other that the delivery/read receipt, I don't gain anything out of it vs texting.

I don't really think that the cross platform thing is going to take hold and be of any use until the video calls, voice calls, and screen share are cross platform too. There's just not enough there, at least as far as plans on the US are concerned, to make it a huge leap over Text.

Now this is Mobile Computing at it's finest! Z10
    mexicangangboss likes this.
    06-06-13 07:28 PM
    Z10?..yes it can!
    06-06-13 07:46 PM
    It's easy. I only know two people with BBM. Most of the folks I know use text. BBM is a lonely island in the USA.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    m1a1mg, Rello and kbz1960 like this.
    06-06-13 08:12 PM
    BBM Is way more than just texting.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 08:29 PM
    I was just talking to my friend today and we agreed that BBM feels more like a conversation than texting. With texting, it feels like you're sending a message out to oblivion. With BBM you send it to someone you are talking to. We couldn't pinpoint exactly why this is, but the "delivered" and "read" confirmations are probably what makes it feel this way.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    06-06-13 08:32 PM
    I was just talking to my friend today and we agreed that BBM feels more like a conversation than texting. With texting, it feels like you're sending a message out to oblivion. With BBM you send it to someone you are talking to. We couldn't pinpoint exactly why this is, but the "delivered" and "read" confirmations are probably what makes it feel this way.
    yeah, BBM does feel more like a conversation as opposed to texting... it's just not the same. BBM is similar to having a convo over the phone (when you can't talk...)
    06-06-13 08:45 PM
    I am glad this was brought up, as I was wondering the same thing. Have had BB phones on the past but never used BBM. Would really like to take advantage of it with my Q10 arriving tomorrow!

sent from my Verizon Note2...
    06-06-13 09:07 PM
    BBM is now a full featured communication app. It does instant messaging, video chatting, screen sharing, media sharing, among other things. It will even soon have its own built in social media tool with Channels. It is much more than just text based communication.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 09:27 PM
    Saying BBM is just glorified texting is like saying Instagram is just for photo filters.

Both are so much more.

BBM is on the verge of becoming a social network now, with BBM Channels.

Anyone who has used (or is in the unfortunate situation of still using) iMessage can tell you that it's very bare bones. BBM is so much more in-depth, but also maintains simplicity. It has a much nicer interface.

If anything is just "the same" as texting, it's iMessage on iOS devices.
    06-06-13 09:50 PM
    BBM is just better. If you use it you know. It feels different than Sms. The D/R. No character limit. Integrated Voice and Video chat. Much better fidelity than a cell phone call. Not to mention groups and now channels. Plus you can link up with Pin invites. No need to share phone numbers.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    miker476 and Cap_172R like this.
    06-07-13 01:44 AM
    BBM is just better. If you use it you know. It feels different than Sms. The D/R. No character limit. Integrated Voice and Video chat. Much better fidelity than a cell phone call. Not to mention groups and now channels. Plus you can link up with Pin invites. No need to share phone numbers.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Yeah, that's the best part about BBM, no phone numbers. Most people simply give out their pins, you can simply block future invites if you do delete that person's pin for whatever reason! Easier than changing numbers lol...
    06-07-13 02:04 AM
    Not sure, I don't use SMS at all. BBM, email, and the occasional telephone call. If I knew SMS better I could tell you the difference between it and BBM. I always assumed that people who used SMS did so because they didn't have BBM.
    06-07-13 09:29 AM
    I would think it's also because you can see when the other person is typing, so you know when they're actively starting to respond.

With SMS, you don't even know yet that the message got delivered, so do you sit there and stare at the screen waiting for something to happen, or do you just put your phone away and try to do something else until it beeps at you again?

With BBM, you have the choice of doing that, if you want, but if you know the message was delivered, then a second or so later it says "Read", and then a few seconds after that you see that they're starting to type, you can choose to hang on for a few seconds longer to see the reply. It's a much tighter feedback loop, more interactive, and definitely a "conversation" instead of texting, which is pretty much like sending a telegram into the void.
    06-07-13 09:35 AM
    All of the above. And the way cool BBM smilies. They are the best compared to even whatsapp smilies in my opinion.
    I've had countless convo's with just smilies!! LOL.

Seriously though, hands down I would rather use BBM then text.
    06-07-13 11:32 AM
    Yeah, that's the best part about BBM, no phone numbers. Most people simply give out their pins, you can simply block future invites if you do delete that person's pin for whatever reason! Easier than changing numbers lol...
    Right so then someone will say well I don't care if someone knows my phone number. But then think about all these apps that access folks' contacts etc. I'd rather not have my mobile phone number spread all the place to any greater degree than need be.
    06-07-13 12:45 PM
    Exactly this. I was trying to pinpoint what hooked me on BBM, now I know.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-13 01:07 PM
    To be honest, there is only one other person that I know that has a BlackBerry and that's my wife. We BBM all the time vs texting, but other that the delivery/read receipt, I don't gain anything out of it vs texting.

I don't really think that the cross platform thing is going to take hold and be of any use until the video calls, voice calls, and screen share are cross platform too. There's just not enough there, at least as far as plans on the US are concerned, to make it a huge leap over Text.

i think this poster has it right. I have Sprint and the rep assigned to my account says he has only sold 1 BB the past year and that was to me. Perhaps BB might gain back some customers with their new phones but not sure if they can gain enough to keep it going.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-07-13 09:42 PM

Holyyyy man... I suggest you read a post on bbm groups, broadcast message, file sharing, display pic and on and on and on and on. To say the only thing you get from bbm is read reciept is to say you don't fully understand/use its capabilites

Posted via my Zed (not Zee) 10
    pcguy514 likes this.
    06-08-13 02:56 AM
    I don't have any friends that use BBM. None. There were more back in the day, but none now.
    06-08-13 03:28 AM
    I don't have any friends that use BBM. None. There were more back in the day, but none now.
    I think this is the trend. BB lovers need to lure the people that went from BB to iPhone, back, so the platform can be viable again. Without BB users, BBM seems analogous to being in a room by yourself.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-08-13 07:58 AM
    Holyyyy man... I suggest you read a post on bbm groups, broadcast message, file sharing, display pic and on and on and on and on. To say the only thing you get from bbm is read reciept is to say you don't fully understand/use its capabilites

Posted via my Zed (not Zee) 10
    It's not that I don't understand the capabilities of BBM, it's just that if you only know a couple people who use it then there isn't a whole lot of difference. With one person in your BBM list, broadcast messages, display picture, etc., don't really get used a whole lot.

Also, we already know that the first version of BBM to go to the other platforms isn't going to have all of those features, so they shouldn't be used when you try to get and iOS or Android user to download it.

I like BBM, but to me it feels like BlackBerry is trying to shoehorn another unfinished product into the mainstream. But that's a convo for another thread, as that isn't the OP's question.

06-08-13 08:57 AM
47 12