nd make BBM a default from a text message. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by jason9900; 10-26-14 at 02:52 AM.
    01-02-14 11:11 PM
    If someone has my PIN, they are already BBMing me and vice versa.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 11:24 PM
    I don't think do. BBM is a great stand alone app

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    MrMousey and gfondeur like this.
    01-02-14 11:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    The OP is suggesting if someone only has your phone number but not your pin. Their device automatically detect your pin and send the message that way.. it's not a bad idea.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 11:34 PM
    I was just talking to somebody the other day and they were telling me they use bbm4all because it doesn't get charged to the account as a text message. I guess they have some limited text message plan to save a few bucks

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    Undbiter65 and DiegoV_G like this.
    01-02-14 11:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well at first when BBM released everyone was using it. However it failed to get traction, like slowly most of my iPhone friends started texting me instead. This would solve the issue.
    01-02-14 11:39 PM
    I don't think do. BBM is a great stand alone app

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    Ditto.

BlackBerry Z10 / 10.2.0.1791
    01-03-14 12:04 AM
    Op, have you used bbm on BlackBerry phone? Which one if you did and for how long? Just curious.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 12:22 AM
    Op, have you used bbm on BlackBerry phone? Which one if you did and for how long? Just curious.

Posted via CB10
    Haha fair question. Started OS6 Bold 9700, then OS7 9900 now my Z10. So yes I had my fair share of BBM experiences
    01-03-14 12:44 AM
    I always wished that BBM had some way for easier discoverability like iMessage or WhatsApp, maybe the way you're suggesting is the way to do it. It shouldn't be automatic though, there should be an invitation - accept/decline pop up that comes up on 1st message sent/received by both sides. What I'd really like to see though, is a BBM desktop client.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    01-03-14 12:50 AM
    I think the OP is right. That if someone sends someone a text, it should be in BBM by default.

People use iMessage and don't even know it. That's the magic of Apple.
    Donvald likes this.
    01-03-14 01:13 AM
    I always wished that BBM had some way for easier discoverability like iMessage or WhatsApp, maybe the way you're suggesting is the way to do it. It shouldn't be automatic though, there should be an invitation - accept/decline pop up that comes up on 1st message sent/received by both sides. What I'd really like to see though, is a BBM desktop client.
    There will be an overhead in term of data usage and delay time. Nothing is free. Bbm I like it because it is efficient and secure. Your preference of platform reflect the selection. Including price and brand of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    01-03-14 01:14 AM
    Or BlackBerry can link the contact number and bbpin.

That way when any blackberry smartphone receive any text from any number. They automatically detect the bbpin that has been linked with that contact number.

To be more secure. You can accept them to be your bbm contact or just leave it that way whenever BlackBerry smartphone detect it.

Not sure you guys understand this. Lol. English is not my native language. Sorry.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-03-14 01:20 AM
    So if consumers are to "lazy" to download a standalone app why does whatsapp have over 300 million downloads.
    web99, dslocumb, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    01-03-14 01:23 AM
    Sounds like a good idea to be able to "promote" a text message as a BBM message automatically, if both parties have BBM. The main thing here is that BBM messages are free, while text messages my have a cost.

I wonder if this can go even further, to more complete "profiles" of people, with all the various methods of communication in each contact entry. I find it strange that we have to talk to people based on the channel, not the profile. In other words, if you get an email, you can reply to that email. But, you have to find the profile of that person to call them, if that's the next best step.
    01-03-14 01:29 AM
    So if consumers are to "lazy" to download a standalone app why does whatsapp have over 300 million downloads.
    It's not so much that people are lazy to download. It's what happens after they download it. Open up WhatsApp and anyone on your contact list that has it installed will show up automatically. Open up BBM for the first time and the user now has to go search out friends and go through the process of adding them as contacts. Some non-BBM users will simply throw up their hands at this point and say why bother going through all of that when they can just stick to SMS, or whatever existing IM they're using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    jason9900, TGR1 and Sallem like this.
    01-03-14 01:39 AM
    I really enjoy the way Apple has implemented iMessage. Apple was smart to know that the average consumer is either lazy, wouldn't know, isnt bothered (list goes on) to download a separate messaging app. So correct me if I am wrong as I do not own an iPhone, but if you send a text message iPhone to iPhone, it automatically knows its an iPhone then converts the text and sends it as an iMessage?

I think this is really smart and BlackBerry should do the same. I think if someone on Blackberry sends a text message to another Blackberry (or someone with BBM installed) it should automatically convert it into a BBM message. I mean we all talk about how we give out pins way more freely than we do phone numbers which I completely agree with. So if someone already has your phone number, you wouldnt mind them being able to send you BBM's right?

I think this will up the usage of BBM as I know too many people on other platforms (especially ios) that feel opening up BBM is too "out of the way" and an extra step. Many of my friends have BBM installed but dont really use it. So I think BlackBerry should take initiative and make BBM a default from a text message. What do you guys think?
    Completely disagree... have you tried imessage on IOS 7? first off if for whatever reason one of your contacts does not have data OR their imessage is turned off, when they attempt to send you a message it BY DEFAULT does NOT automatically convert said imessage into sms like it used to on IOS 6 and earlier.... Secondly let's say you happen to be one of the people who happen to decide an iPhone is not for you. When your iPhone using contacts decide to send you a message (by default it will send as imessage) once AGAIN it is not automatically configured to convert this into text (your apple id is associated with your phone number) therefore AGAIN you will NOT receive any text message from said contact... I am a network technician for Telus and in my professional opinion Apple has dropped the ball BIG TIME. I can not even begin to count the number of messaging issue phone calls I have sadly had to inform clients of, and once they understood what I have explained they were shocked at how this iMessage/SMS issue is handled. From business person to casual user this is NOT ACCEPTABLE. (by the way I am a former iPhone 4 and 4s user as well as Galaxy Nexus, S2 and S3 currently on Z30)
    01-03-14 01:41 AM
    if you link your contacts with their BB Pin all their text msg comes to BBM like an IM. At least on the legacy device it is, haven't tried it with my Z10 yet

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    SteelGreek likes this.
    01-03-14 01:54 AM
    I think the OP is right. That if someone sends someone a text, it should be in BBM by default.

People use iMessage and don't even know it. That's the magic of Apple.
    Magic of apple? Instead of a SMS it sent over wifi not really magic.

In North America everyone has unlimited text messaging these days so iMessage is pretty useless IMHO. It doesn't save me a buck if it's a SMS or iMessage all I get is a stupid colored message bubble..
    mk2234, Enzetsu and gfondeur like this.
    01-03-14 02:10 AM
    Maybe it could be as simple as a BBM Directory, perhaps a checkbox on your profile to be included in the directory by user name, real name or whatever you choose.

However I don't want to default to anything. In fact, I wish I could flag which peoples mobile numbers accept texts and those who don't. And yes, I have contacts who have SMS completely disabled.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    01-03-14 02:23 AM
    Agree with OP.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 02:36 AM
    Well BBM is secure but there should be some way to discover BBM contacts. Right now the only way to know if someone is having BBM is to send an invite! At-least there should be an option in the contacts suggesting all BBM contacts including iOS and Android users. Adding or sending a message to non-contacts should be through invites. This will solve a lot of problems and help in discovering BBM contacts. Most of my Android and iOS friends are confused on how to find BBM users in their contacts..
    01-03-14 02:44 AM
    BBM is so much more than iMessage, only thing I like about iMessage is the sending of full res video/ pictures. BBM shud incorporate that instead of requesting for high quality.

Posted via Black ZeD on 10.2.1.1925
    01-03-14 02:49 AM
    Well BBM is secure but there should be some way to discover BBM contacts. Right now the only way to know if someone is having BBM is to send an invite! At-least there should be an option in the contacts suggesting all BBM contacts including iOS and Android users. Adding or sending a message to non-contacts should be through invites. This will solve a lot of problems and help in discovering BBM contacts. Most of my Android and iOS friends are confused on how to find BBM users in their contacts..
    Maybe that comes to the next version for ios and android. On BlackBerry you go to invites and there is a suggestion tab

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 03:00 AM
    BBM should be more like iMessage? No! That's the reason why there is an iphone. If you want something like iMessage get an iphone. I really wonder why people always want BlackBerry to be like these other platforms and when it does they say its only copying/catching up and not innovative. I want to have a choice to decide what channel I choose to communicate with my contacts and also who I decide to contact. I prefer BBM they way it is.
    01-03-14 03:10 AM
135 123 ...