RIM's "BBM" is now included into the Official Collins English Dictionary | MobileSyrup.com

Well Im not too surprised about this since is now an abriviation used by all smartphone users and BBM being the most popular IM app to date. Same way "LOL" and "Lmao" were included a year or 2 ago (?). So what do you guys think about this?
    09-13-12 10:54 AM
    Its worrying as it'll open up the suing flood gates from the other company as 'Apple' was in there first and Blackberry are now copying them.

Need to think from all angles
    09-13-12 11:00 AM
    Its worrying as it'll open up the suing flood gates from the other company as 'Apple' was in there first and Blackberry are now copying them.

Need to think from all angles
    I think that RIM is already battling in court for that.

Apple is not to blame, however.

It is another Canadian company.

RIM gets kicked while down, sued over BBM trademark (update: RIM comments) - Engadget
    09-13-12 11:08 AM
    RIM's "BBM" is now included into the Official Collins English Dictionary | MobileSyrup.com

Well Im not too surprised about this since is now an abriviation used by all smartphone users and BBM being the most popular IM app to date. Same way "LOL" and "Lmao" were included a year or 2 ago (?). So what do you guys think about this?
    Say what? I think you'd be hard pressed to find an iPhone, Android, Nokia or any other non-BlackBerry user reference BBM when talking about messaging.

To the other point, do you have anything that backs up the assertion that BBM is "the most popular IM app to date?" because I suspect that that is not accurate by a long shot.
    09-13-12 11:09 AM
    Say what? I think you'd be hard pressed to find an iPhone, Android, Nokia or any other non-BlackBerry user reference BBM when talking about messaging.

To the other point, do you have anything that backs up the assertion that BBM is "the most popular IM app to date?" because I suspect that that is not accurate by a long shot.
    While you are likely correct, 55M active BBM users is nothing to scoff at. I am curious if its the most popular mobile only one to date though.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-13-12 11:11 AM
    I think that RIM is already battling in court for that.

Apple is not to blame, however.

It is another Canadian company.

RIM gets kicked while down, sued over BBM trademark (update: RIM comments) - Engadget
    You just jogged my memory with that hehe. RIM won that case eh
    09-13-12 11:27 AM
    You just jogged my memory with that hehe. RIM won that case eh
    I don't think that it has been settled yet.
    09-13-12 11:33 AM

Well I abviously meant most popular mobile IM app and wasn't including desktop apps into this because of course BBM isn't a computer app as well...
    09-13-12 11:35 AM
    I don't think that it has been settled yet.
    RIM wins court ruling on BBM brand - The Globe and Mail
    09-13-12 11:37 AM

I couldn't find specific numbers on BBM. I suspect that it has to do with the way that BBM is handled through RIMs own servers, but I did find this.

Windows Live Messenger: What is the worldwide market share of Instant Messenger (IM)? - Quora

This link includes other metrics besides IM market share but explains how they compile their data.

Market Share Report June 2012 | OPSWAT | Software manageability and multiple engine scanning solutions

Microsoft Messenger leads the market by a long shot.
    09-13-12 11:39 AM
    Sweet. Thank you for the update.
    09-13-12 11:40 AM
    Well I abviously meant most popular mobile IM app and wasn't including desktop apps into this because of course BBM isn't a computer app as well...
    I know exactly what you meant and was not basing my question on any desktop app at all. As was pointed out 55 million users is a big number I am just not sure that BBM is the most widely used mobile IM app. Of course I could be wrong.
    09-13-12 11:50 AM

That's what I was going to say....I don't know anyone who calls messing programs on other phones "BBM"!

In any case, it is not much of a distinction or honor....ICQ is in that dictionary....for that matter, so is iphone, ipod, itunes, etc.
    09-13-12 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD