I get BBM messages while out away from home with no wifi whatsoever and I don't have data on my phone. I'm able to receive and send messages.

I'm afraid it's using my minutes but I'm not sure

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 10:10 AM
    its not using minutes. Are you sure you dont have a data plan? do you get email or any other forms of data?
    07-29-14 10:23 AM
    No I don't get emails, I make sure I even tried going on my favorite sites and it wouldn't load. I have pay to go (college student poor) and I'm on t-mobile. I was able to send and receive it's weird.

Happened to me once when I went camping and I just spaced about it. Now it happened again and I kinda wanna see if anyone else got similar story

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 11:10 AM
    No I don't get emails, I make sure I even tried going on my favorite sites and it wouldn't load. I have pay to go (college student poor) and I'm on t-mobile. I was able to send and receive it's weird.

Happened to me once when I went camping and I just spaced about it. Now it happened again and I kinda wanna see if anyone else got similar story

Posted via CB10
    U must being picking up some wi-fi signal without noticing, that's the only thing I can think of

Posted from my powerful tool Z30.
    07-30-14 11:22 AM
    U must being picking up some wi-fi signal without noticing, that's the only thing I can think of

Posted from my powerful tool Z30.
    I thought so too but u don't get it. Isn't my phone supposed to alert me before connecting me to an open wifi?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 02:25 AM
    With BlackBerry you can have no data but have bbm work. It uses such little data that I don't think it's much to have a cost. Used to be that way at least
    07-31-14 02:34 AM
    I would say you are getting glimpses if open wifi. If your wifi is left on I don't think it will ask permission to grab signals. The good news, it won't be using your cell minutes or sms.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 07:21 AM
    Like others are saying, you're probably hitting access points along the way. Not sure who your internet provider is, but with mine (Shaw) I get free access to any of their hotspots that are set up across the city. All I have to do is sign on and connect once, and after that any time i come across any of their hot spots it will automatically connect. Perhaps you have something similar?

With BlackBerry you can have no data but have bbm work. It uses such little data that I don't think it's much to have a cost. Used to be that way at least
    Are you referring to those old "social" plans that carriers were offering? Back in the days of BBOS, you were able to get plans that only included BBM and Facebook. It wasn't that there was no data, it was just controlled data via BIS.
    07-31-14 10:11 AM
    Like others are saying, you're probably hitting access points along the way. Not sure who your internet provider is, but with mine (Shaw) I get free access to any of their hotspots that are set up across the city. All I have to do is sign on and connect once, and after that any time i come across any of their hot spots it will automatically connect. Perhaps you have something similar?

Are you referring to those old "social" plans that carriers were offering? Back in the days of BBOS, you were able to get plans that only included BBM and Facebook. It wasn't that there was no data, it was just controlled data via BIS.
    I have t-mobile pay to go and that's all I can think of. Anyways thanks for your help errbody. As long as it's not using my minutes I don't mind (:

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 02:01 PM
    Are you referring to those old "social" plans that carriers were offering? Back in the days of BBOS, you were able to get plans that only included BBM and Facebook. It wasn't that there was no data, it was just controlled data via BIS.[/QUOTE]

Yes
    07-31-14 02:31 PM
    My friend has no data plan but has a package that gives him BBM and Facebook maybe that's what you have.

Posted from my Z30
    07-31-14 05:22 PM
    Back to the person that mentioned how little data it uses... I use the headless Data Usage Counter app and I was on a decently long conversation with my friend through the hub. And it barely used any at all

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 06:55 PM
    I'm surprised only few give you the right answer.

Bbm in some carriers is free (or included as part of basic plan). You don't need data plan.

I used to have that plan with Rogers in Canada .

When BlackBerry was popular that's all you needed since you could send pics and messages to everybody in bbm. No need for data plan.

In a way, that used to work marvels for me as I did not have to worry about having to turn off data plan to avoid wasting data when receiving emails, etc. I would get my emails when connected on wifi only.

Now I have to turn off data services which at the same time turns off bbm and mms..... Ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 09:59 PM
    Ghost data.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 10:03 PM