Hmm....lets do the math.

About 170 million iPads out there in the wild (give or take several million that are not running iOS 6 or 7) versus less than 5 million PBs which are EOL as previously stated.

That must have been a really hard business decision for BlackBerry to make.

I want BB to survive. That means making good business decisions not stupid emotional ones. I have 2 PBs and I'm not upset that I don't have BBM on it. That's what my Z30 is for.
    11-14-13 09:54 PM
    Like it or not, when you buy a new device, you are making a bet on the viability of the platform. You may not feel you care about the platform or what everyone else is using but your future with the device depends on these factors. People who bought the Playbook simply bet wrong. If you believed that Blackberry would be successful in the tablet market then you bet wrong.

When push comes to shove, a company like Blackberry isn't going to support it if it doesn't further their survival interests. I'm pretty sure that Blackberry management is too busy trying to satisfy shareholders who have lost millions to worry about customers who own their abandon ware. Do you think that Prem Watsa cares?
    11-14-13 10:12 PM
    Is this surprising? The iPad is a current device. The PlayBook is entirely dead and end if life'd. What a tremendous waste of resources it would be for BlackBerry to spend a moment even discussing the PlayBook.
    So is the iphone 3gs also current because my niece is now running bbm on it and that device is also eol as far as apple is concerned. Just saying...

Jesse its time to cook.....
    11-14-13 11:01 PM
    PB is EOL only because BBRY is not upgrading it to BB10. If you compare tech specs of PB with iPad Mini or other competing Android tablets, PB is on par and you cannot classify is EOL. If BBRY changes its strategy under new leadership, then I believe there is still time to revive PB.

Whether they want to satisfy stakeholders first than loyalists / consumers, I believe it's only possible by satisfying loyalists and existing customers who will help in bring new customers by improvements of brand image and perception which will increase sales, revenues and thereby profits and stock price which will satisfy stakeholders. You cannot satisfy stakeholders without satisfying consumers and improving performance.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 12:24 AM
    The PlayBook is dead, just move on already!

Posted via CB10
    Except I have 4 people in my family that have bought a PlayBook less then a year ago, if it fair to ask them to "move on" after they spent their cash?

BlackBerry have hurt themselves big time by not supporting the PB anymore.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 01:17 AM
    Is this surprising? The iPad is a current device. The PlayBook is entirely dead and end if life'd. What a tremendous waste of resources it would be for BlackBerry to spend a moment even discussing the PlayBook.
    My niece left her iphone 3gs for a Bold 9900 and a playbook in the promise of BB10 earlier this year. No BB10 on the PlayBook? She now owns an iphone 4s.

I think it has been far more expensive for BlackBerry not to support the PlayBook. By letting it die they killed a lot of BlackBerry fans spirits.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 01:20 AM
    So is the iphone 3gs also current because my niece is now running bbm on it and that device is also eol as far as apple is concerned. Just saying...

this point is totally moot, sorry not to be rude. BBM wasn't developed for the 3gs, it was developed for iOS which covers the 3gs. If the PB had gotten BB10 this wouldn't be an issue. That is the real issue, not developing BBM for a platform that has almost no userbase and never will.
    11-15-13 04:01 PM
    My niece left her iphone 3gs for a Bold 9900 and a playbook in the promise of BB10 earlier this year. No BB10 on the PlayBook? She now owns an iphone 4s.

I think it has been far more expensive for BlackBerry not to support the PlayBook. By letting it die they killed a lot of BlackBerry fans spirits.

Posted via CB10
    I don't totally disagree, but when weighing the costs of continuing support with the burden of future tablets against the actual number of people who got a playbook (incredibly small) they probably decided it was far less costly to anger that userbase than continue development on it.
    11-15-13 04:03 PM
    I don't totally disagree, but when weighing the costs of continuing support with the burden of future tablets against the actual number of people who got a playbook (incredibly small) they probably decided it was far less costly to anger that userbase than continue development on it.
    But that user base was their core BlackBerry user base also, it cost them a lot more by angering them, still angry as the PkayBook is right here beside me.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-15-13 04:40 PM
    It doesn't matter how much it would cost, if it cost $100 it would be money poorly spent. They announced that the playbook was EOL, so why would they continue to develop for it? They wrote off $1 billion in device losses, had a failed sale, etc, BBM on the EOL PB is literally the last thing they should care about. Just to be brutally honest everyone that bought the playbook bought it knowing it didn't have BBM and in many cases email support. Lesson learned.
    Then the Z10 should be EOL as well. Let's see what that does to customer confidence.
    11-15-13 06:58 PM
    As a PB owner, I would rather have full bridge back then BBM on PB.

Posted via CB10
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    11-15-13 07:00 PM
    We may see something with the new interim CEO seeming more positive about Tablets than the Mr Heins.

BBM will work on a Playbook, they just haven't decided to do it yet. Back before the Z10, some of the early Dev alpha device software could be loaded on a PlayBook, including BBM. I had it working for a few days on a spare PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 07:22 PM
    Hmm....lets do the math.

About 170 million iPads out there in the wild (give or take several million that are not running iOS 6 or 7) versus less than 5 million PBs which are EOL as previously stated.

That must have been a really hard business decision for BlackBerry to make.

I want BB to survive. That means making good business decisions not stupid emotional ones. I have 2 PBs and I'm not upset that I don't have BBM on it. That's what my Z30 is for.
    good business decisions also involving keep your customers happy...many PB users are BB fans, when they buy it at first they dont pick ipad they choose PB . and today some of the users are angry because BB dont keep their promises...

giving PB BBM is not a waste of money, it is to keep your customers happy...and make customers know when they buy BB device they get full support for years.

that is why apple is very sucessfull they keep their customers happy, they dont neglect their past device buyers..and samsung are today following apple footstep upping their services and updates.
    11-15-13 07:31 PM
    when a company discontinues a product they make it known. if its eol as many "experts" here claim they don't list it under a devices tab on their home website with links to purchase and they certainly don't say a 4glte version is still coming soon...again mixed messages from blackberry.
    the iphone 3gs was DISCONTINUED in 2012 now almost 2yrs ago and is getting an app that a still advertised device made in house by rim cant. the first excuse was it needed a sim card then it was bb10 was not "optimized enough" soon they'll say you need an apple id lol!
    11-15-13 07:42 PM
    Yeah, I understand the whole Playbook is dead thing we have going on, but I did have to scratch my head when I heard my buddy with his ipad can use his BBM, but I have to bridge my Playbook through my Z10 to access my account.

Posted via CB10
    The problem that has not been solved yet is using the same BBID on two devices at the same time. If you got BBM on the PlayBook, it would either need a different BBID or everytime you switched from your phone to your PlayBook it would ask to move the BBM contacts to that device. This process is not foolproof or instantaneous.

A couple times when I switched phones I think it took a little while for my new PIN to propagate through the system. If you switch and then start sending BBM messages a lot of the messages bounce back saying you are not a contact of the receiver, do you want to invite them. It takes a while for your new PIN to get into the system so you do not have to reinvite your contacts.
    11-16-13 08:15 AM
    The problem that has not been solved yet is using the same BBID on two devices at the same time. If you got BBM on the PlayBook, it would either need a different BBID or everytime you switched from your phone to your PlayBook it would ask to move the BBM contacts to that device. This process is not foolproof or instantaneous.

A couple times when I switched phones I think it took a little while for my new PIN to propagate through the system. If you switch and then start sending BBM messages a lot of the messages bounce back saying you are not a contact of the receiver, do you want to invite them. It takes a while for your new PIN to get into the system so you do not have to reinvite your contacts.
    So you're saying that iOS users can not use BBM on their phone and iPad unless it's 2 different ID's?
    11-16-13 08:26 AM
    I'm so angry my Amiga 500 won't be getting Windows 8.1

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 06:06 AM
    As far as im concerned bbm is nothing more than an app now in the ios and andriod ecosystems at this point.
    An APP so it makes perfect sense to me to develop this app for the playbook. People are making it sound as if bbm is the entire bb10 operating system. Its not again its just a simple app that for no rhyme or reason has not been even mentioned in conjunction with a product that the head of app development himself said was not EOL. There is no excuse or explanation for it.

11-17-13 09:11 AM
    this point is totally moot, sorry not to be rude. BBM wasn't developed for the 3gs, it was developed for iOS which covers the 3gs. If the PB had gotten BB10 this wouldn't be an issue. That is the real issue, not developing BBM for a platform that has almost no userbase and never will.
    No not rude at all i get your point. My point is people keep acting as if bbm is dependant on bb10 being supported when thats not the case. Bbm is nothing more than an app so coding and loading it onto thwir own hardware isnt as intensive as a full os. Especially when you consider the hardware specs of some of these older apple android products.

11-17-13 09:16 AM
44 12