I've asked my carrier and they said they think that BBM comes out of text messaging which I have unlim of.

I've asked on Yahoo and they said BBM comes out of data, which I only have 300 MB of.

Trying to find out what BBM actually uses. If it uses data, I gotta stop using bbm.
    01-25-14 08:11 PM
    It's data.
    WiFi doesn't count against data usage.
    01-25-14 08:16 PM
    Hi, BBM works entirely on DATA and all of its traffic goes through Blackberry's NOC.

Something that sounds misleading is that legacy devices (pre BBOS 10) can show SMS messages in the same BBM app. On Blackberry 10 this is not the case. However all BBM messages are sent as DATA through your data plan with a carrier or wifi if you're connected to a network.

To be honest about data usage, BBM uses just a tiny fraction of data. If you wanna save your kbs you'd be better off avoiding social networks rather than stop using BBM...
    Mdogz likes this.
    01-25-14 08:20 PM
    Hi, BBM works entirely on DATA and all of its traffic goes through Blackberry's NOC.

Something that sounds misleading is that legacy devices (pre BBOS 10) can show SMS messages in the same BBM app. On Blackberry 10 this is not the case. However all BBM messages are sent as DATA through your data plan with a carrier or wifi if you're connected to a network.

To be honest about data usage, BBM uses just a tiny fraction of data. If you wanna save your kbs you'd be better off avoiding social networks rather than stop using BBM...
    I only use about 200/300 each month because I have wifi in most places. But if the data they use is similar to a text (say 2kb per message) then I guess it'll barely put a dent in my data, right?

When you send pics over bbm, are they compressed, or does it send as the entire file size?

Thanks for the help!
    01-25-14 08:27 PM
    It does depend on what you are doing on BBM though. Straight text IM, very little data. Voice, video or screen sharing? Don't do that on that limited of a data plan.
    01-25-14 08:33 PM
    I believe compressed thumbnails are sent first. The receiver can then request a high quality version.

I don't think they even take up 2kb each. Each message is just a string of text.
    01-25-14 08:34 PM
    You'll burn through that data in no time. Not because of BBM, but because you will just start using your phone for other things more often. For me, I usually did 500mb on my 9800, now I easily do 1gb a month.

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    01-25-14 08:35 PM
    You'll burn through that data in no time. Not because of BBM, but because you will just start using your phone for other things more often. For me, I usually did 500mb on my 9800, now I easily do 1gb a month.

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    On my windows mobile phone I never made it over 40mb. I've had this new phone since december. The first month is about to end and I'm at 158mb right now. I have wifi in most areas, so I'm usually not on cellular data. If I did everything on cellular data, I would need a few gb for sure
    01-25-14 08:44 PM
    On my windows mobile phone I never made it over 40mb. I've had this new phone since december. The first month is about to end and I'm at 158mb right now. I have wifi in most areas, so I'm usually not on cellular data. If I did everything on cellular data, I would need a few gb for sure
    BBM isn't a data hog; if you use bbm voice or video chat over cellular it's something else entirely. I'm on wifi most of the day and my monthly use is usualky below 300Mb.

BiS plans, on the other hand, were so good at data compression that a month use would be less than 100 mb in a monh
    01-26-14 08:08 AM
    I'm with Sasktel and I have unlimited/Half speed after 10G. I'm in rural areas with my work so. Big data package is a must. Streaming hockey, football and Netflix eats up data.

Posted via CB10 on my ?Zed10
    01-26-14 11:34 AM