Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sith_Apprentice
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BBM for BES10

so i was just ponderign this scenario, what if RIM allowed firms running BES10 and BYOD to install BBM on Android or iOS devices, i mean they don't have pins but they all do run through the same servers and the advantages for this would be easy communication between all devices on the BES network which would make doing business with other companies that may only use BBs or Androids or iOS easier and would bring another small advantage to actually upgrading to BES10 rather then another competitors service

Global Posts
    35,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

They all run through the same BES server, but only the BlackBerries operate through RIM's servers.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

i know but it would make for a good feature to have for BES10 networks

Global Posts
    9,743 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWulf View Post
    They all run through the same BES server, but only the BlackBerries operate through RIM's servers.
    RIM has put PINs and BlackBerry software on non-BB devices before, they could easily do it again. I dont think there is an advantage to the whole OS being virtualized on another phone at this point (and doubt there will be again), but BBM might hold its advantages if done correctly. Difference is, they would need a monthly fee from it (or likely want a monthly fee from it for the extra data passing their network)
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

why a monthly fee its an incentive for using BES10 over another network that could essencially support BB10 devices

Global Posts
    9,743 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by GTiLeo View Post
    why a monthly fee its an incentive for using BES10 over another network that could essencially support BB10 devices
    BBM itself is not enough incentive to not use another MDM. You would have to offer additional services aside from simple messaging to use that as tool. Things like BBM voice, video chat, etc would make things much more interesting for these businesses, but also put additional strain on RIMs network. Suddenly potentially millions of devices that they are NOT getting monthly fees from would be passing data across their NOCs, they would need to beef up their infrastructure for something like this.
    Thanked by:
    BigBadWulf (12-07-2012) 
    BigBadWulf likes this.

Global Posts
    35,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

Precisely what I was thinking SA. Also, RIM wants to move back into 3rd place (and then gun for the top two). I don't see how they'll motivate businesses and consumers to buy into the platform, if everything it offers can be had via iphone and Android.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"

Global Posts
    9,743 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Precisely what I was thinking SA. Also, RIM wants to move back into 3rd place (and then gun for the top two). I don't see how they'll motivate businesses and consumers to buy into the platform, if everything it offers can be had via iphone and Android.
    RIM needs to differentiate themselves, and BBM is one great way of doing that. BBM Voice can be a huge thing for those environments that will be mixed mode (MOST will be) between BB10 and legacy devices. Being able to Voice chat over WiFi between them is a great feature that doesnt leave the OS 6/7 devices behind too far during the change over. Sure they cant screen share etc, but it allows thme to do more than they can currently. Free CAL transfer is also HUGE, as many companies pay 100$+ PER CAL. Now that charge goes away for BB10 devices (if they have existing CALs), and they just pay for android and iOS devices. This will help keep the current customers happy. RIM is making a lot of good moves in preparation of BB10. If consumers give this half a chance (and businesses by extension) RIM can easily crawl into third place and actually gain market share back. (not talking 10's of percentage points here, but at least go in a POSITIVE direction)
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    BBM itself is not enough incentive to not use another MDM. You would have to offer additional services aside from simple messaging to use that as tool. Things like BBM voice, video chat, etc would make things much more interesting for these businesses, but also put additional strain on RIMs network. Suddenly potentially millions of devices that they are NOT getting monthly fees from would be passing data across their NOCs, they would need to beef up their infrastructure for something like this.
    easily manageable as there is a license per device that is being managed via the BES they could just use a model that increase the cost per call with the increased features. most companies that look go MDM are paying per device anyway if it makes sense to get all those features in one then they would do it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Global Posts
    5,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by GTiLeo View Post
    Good call!

And bear in mind that BBM is moving away (has moved away?) from being PIN-based; now it's based on BBID. Much easier to implement this now.

Wonder how long we have to wait for a Windows Phone Balance client?

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Good call!

And bear in mind that BBM is moving away (has moved away?) from being PIN-based; now it's based on BBID. Much easier to implement this now.

yep, with the new BBM7 now its mainly your BBID, which may be a good thing as they can now do contact list backups via your BBID as well as have the ability to use your BBM on multiple devices, ie smartphone and tablet, or in the future possibly desktop( if i do remember this was mentioned as a possibility)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,025 Global Posts

[b][color=#000066]Precisely what I was thinking SA. Also, RIM wants to move back into 3rd place (and then gun for the top two).
    RIM never "left" 3rd place. Unless Windows Phone suddenly has 80 million active users ...
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    Thanked by:
    MaxR_A (01-18-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Depends how long a bb10 skype client takes perhaps?
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    Depends how long a bb10 skype client takes perhaps?
    who needs skype when RIM sells devices and BBM video chat becomes a more common thing
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

Smart as heck, you found a subset of users who:
    - pay for BBM (via their company)
    - make the Mobile Fusion offering even more enticing, even though it has already been proved to be more cost effective and robust then other MDM solutions
    - with Balance, addressed the BYOD phenomenon at work, to keep RIM's foothold in the Enterprise to keep innovating
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    "IF" these media services transfered their data without using the NOC while the NOC established and monitored the connection, that would solve the capacity problem.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,496 Global Posts

I think it will be a trial of sorts BES BBM for corporations will happen.In the long run 1-2 years consumers will want this BBM RIm will look at all petitions,request etc eventually it
    will filter down to BYOD consumers and BBM cross platform will exist as customers will pay for it as its already a payed service.The same thing happend with us this is how RIm went from coroporate phone to a phone that consumer phone that has free text called BBM.

Its the plan again just gonna take a while this time.Remeber BBM has been bundled into textmessage for BB buyers ,but when it filters down to BYOD crowd it will become a paid service app and tehy will pay for it as they know the quality and peoepl are suckers for service paid models.The sh1ts chess it aint checkers moves are bing played.