Looks like BBM is picking up steam, taking the 60 million BB users plus 50 million android downloads that's 110 million registrations.. Not knowing how many IOS downloads I will guess at least 35 million downloads, bringing the total registered users to 145 million. Its my guess but that's way more then the 115 million reported in the last earnings call.

BBM for Android on Google Play supasses 50 million downloads - BlackBerry Empire

Keep moving BB
    05-07-14 10:56 AM
    Awesome!

I know I've missed BBM after I made the switch to Android. I'm glad it's doing well and people are seeing how awesome it is
    05-07-14 11:00 AM
    Interesting.

But does 50M downloads equal 50M users? Every update, does that count as an extra download?

Conversely, we don't know right now how many Android handsets are released with BBM preloaded. These are BBM users that aren't accounted for in the downloads number.
    Last edited by Elite1; 05-07-14 at 11:20 AM.
    05-07-14 11:02 AM
    Looks like BBM is picking up steam, taking the 60 million BB users plus 50 million android downloads that's 110 million registrations.. Not knowing how many IOS downloads I will guess at least 35 million downloads, bringing the total registered users to 145 million. Its my guess but that's way more then the 115 million reported in the last earnings call.

BBM for Android on Google Play supasses 50 million downloads - BlackBerry Empire

Keep moving BB
    This is great news but I wonder if it includes pre-installs with various manufacturers as previously announced - does it actually mean that this many people have signed up for a blackberry ID and that BBM is properly configured on their device (not necessarily whether or not BBM is in use)?
    05-07-14 11:03 AM
    Wonder if we're getting closer to the point at which there are more non BlackBerry device BBM users, than "native" BBM users.

Posted via CB10
    Awesome!

I know I've missed BBM after I made the switch to Android. I'm glad it's doing well and people are seeing how awesome it is
    Why have you missed it? Why not use it on Android?
    I'm glad you posted this. I asked my daughter to sign up for BBM on her HTC. I have not received a notification so I'll tell her to sign up. 50 million downloads is a lot. I remember it being stuck at 20 million for a while
    BergerKing likes this.
    05-07-14 11:06 AM
    I don't think an update is counted as a new download, and as I put it I refer to registration not active users.
    BB reported 85 million active users and 115 million registered users. As for pre installs since you don't download from google play it shouldn't be included in these download numbers, but they would have to register.
    05-07-14 11:10 AM
    I had eight friends download BBM back in November, within a couple of weeks they had all uninstalled it.

I install BBM again on my wife's and two daughters new iPads around March.... it took about 2 hours off their battery life and they made me uninstall it within a couple of days.

The key is active users..... In my area of the US, I doubt BlackBerry is seeing much growth in BBM. In developing areas.... there should be some major growth. But then the question becomes, how much of that growth is at the expense of BlackBerry devices.... and does the selling of stickers offset the lose of those subscriber fees BlackBerry was getting on those BBOS devices every month..

In one of the threads about the Z3 one of the poster from Indonesia had switched from BlackBerry to another device since BBMx had come out. But he was planning on returning with the Z3 as the price was lower and because the BBM experience on his Android device was so bad. Just not sure how this plays out for BlackBerry - with their market penetration there, I think it is good either way...
    kevinnugent likes this.
    05-07-14 11:16 AM
    BlackBerry usually reports active users and that is the number that is important. I downloaded Whatsapp, but never used it. The access requests combined by giving out my number stopped me in my tracks. My cell number is my work number and personal number. No need in spreading it out there so I can get call messaging services driving me nuts......currently I get zero.....so BlackBerry and I are just fine.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 11:16 AM
    BlackBerry usually reports active users and that is the number that is important. I downloaded Whatsapp, but never used it. The access requests combined by giving out my number stopped me in my tracks. My cell number is my work number and personal number. No need in spreading it out there so I can get call messaging services driving me nuts......currently I get zero.....so BlackBerry and I are just fine.

Posted via CB10
    I see the pokers are out, so again I state that BB reported 115 million registrations, not active users so if Google now has 50 million downloads the registration number will be well above the quoted 115 million. This is growth and hopefully while modest this growth will sustain itself.
    05-07-14 11:21 AM
    I agree with above, its active users that matter. That number is pretty much flat so they really need to evaluate why that number isnt increasing.
    05-07-14 11:24 AM
    I'm glad it's growing but it's still missing a select few features before I feel comfortable asking others to download it. My main group of friends have kept it and really seem to enjoy using it but I've had more than a few also delete it or simply forget to re-download it after switching phones. The 5 million increase in active users that saw last quarter is nowhere what they need in adoption to take on bigger messaging apps.

Just the other day I saw a commercial for line. Still waiting for one for BBM....

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 11:37 AM
    Line can now have more than 50 users at a time & my team is moving away from WhatsApp to Line. Not even considering BBM.

BBM is brilliant but stupid. The features they have on the chats are far superior to the rest but none of them are available on group chat where most communication happens these days.

Just think of it, how many of you still do a one on one chat with each other?

Posted via CB10
    TioPepe78, Akuji_ism and eldricho like this.
    05-07-14 11:55 AM
    I've been trying to get people to sign up and so far both my attempts have resulted in people uninstalling.

The first time it was because of the battery it chewed up. Both Android and Apple users (myself included as I'm now using a Nexus 4) reported major hits on battery life and didn't see enough benefits over regular SMS for what they used it for.

The second time was after Blackberry released the update that fixed the battery life issue. We just went to Honduras and my wife, my business partner and one other of our group installed it as I told them it would be faster, cheaper and more reliable than SMS. Then when we got to Honduras I discovered you needed to have roaming data enabled for BBM to work. Given the $ roaming data costs as all the other apps start using it, SMS was cheaper and more convenient as everyone had that working so we didn't use BBM at all. Now my wife is reporting significant battery issues again on her iPhone.

Two strikes. It's going to be tough to justify a third swing.

- R.
    05-07-14 11:58 AM
    This is good to hear, I have it installed on my Galaxy Nexus but I really need it on Windows Phone, then it will have a chance of me being an active user.
    05-07-14 11:59 AM
    Line can now have more than 50 users at a time & my team is moving away from WhatsApp to Line. Not even considering BBM.

BBM is brilliant but stupid. The features they have on the chats are far superior to the rest but none of them are available on group chat where most communication happens these days.

Posted via CB10
    I never do group chats ... only one on one BBM.

So there's 1.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 12:39 PM
    Make it 2......lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 12:43 PM
    I had eight friends download BBM back in November, within a couple of weeks they had all uninstalled it.

I install BBM again on my wife's and two daughters new iPads around March.... it took about 2 hours off their battery life and they made me uninstall it within a couple of days.

The key is active users..... In my area of the US, I doubt BlackBerry is seeing much growth in BBM. In developing areas.... there should be some major growth. But then the question becomes, how much of that growth is at the expense of BlackBerry devices.... and does the selling of stickers offset the lose of those subscriber fees BlackBerry was getting on those BBOS devices every month..

In one of the threads about the Z3 one of the poster from Indonesia had switched from BlackBerry to another device since BBMx had come out. But he was planning on returning with the Z3 as the price was lower and because the BBM experience on his Android device was so bad. Just not sure how this plays out for BlackBerry - with their market penetration there, I think it is good either way...
    Way to be a buzz kill dude. Millions and millions of downloads is amazing for any messaging platform. Props to BlackBerry on BBM. I never noticed the battery drain on any of my other devices nor my friends and we all love BBM.

Posted by Antoniius via my sexy Gold and White Q10.
    05-07-14 12:44 PM
    50 in a group chat.....ok make it 100....make that the new standard. practical I know not. We use groups at work and they are useful, but only to the people involved. Otherwise everyone's phone is buzzing and driving everyone nuts. As for group chaps involving 50 people, can't see how practical that would be at all. Messages would be flying faster than you could read and type in a logical manner.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 12:48 PM
    I agree with above, its active users that matter. That number is pretty much flat so they really need to evaluate why that number isnt increasing.
    Pretty easy the UI is scattered all over the place. Even to find channels is a needle in a haystack for a brand new user...

They got to much going on and not simple ways to do what one wants..
    howarmat and kevinnugent like this.
    05-07-14 12:55 PM
    Pretty easy the UI is scattered all over the place. Even to find chance nnels is a needle in a haystack for a brand new user...

They got to much going on and not simple ways to do what one wants..
    I agree getting to channels and even moving around in groups is atrocious
    05-07-14 01:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is what is holding back most of my friends, most communications are in groups, and BBM groups can't send video, location, etc. Off course you may upload any file to a cloud service and send the link to whoever you want (I think this is better solution overall) but people is used to see the file in the chat stream and bbm must do that ASAP.
    05-07-14 01:03 PM
    Make it 2......lol.

Posted via CB10
    Make it 3

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 01:12 PM
    This is what is holding back most of my friends, most communications are in groups, and BBM groups can't send video, location, etc. Off course you may upload any file to a cloud service and send the link to whoever you want (I think this is better solution overall) but people is used to see the file in the chat stream and bbm must do that ASAP.
    You can share your location and send files in a group chat/ multi person chat. You just can't do it within the group. Within the group calendar you can share your location there as an alternative

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 01:14 PM
94 123 ...