Interesting interview.
    Blackberry not giving up on smartphones - BBC News

Says new pbk within 6 months. Also just a generally good interview.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    bbfanfan likes this.
    10-05-16 11:40 AM
    Wish he would have clarified if PKB release was for worldwide. We know BB new partner in Indonesia will most likely make a pkb phone given BB's still strong brand presence there but that model won't make it here.
    10-05-16 11:49 AM
    Wish he would have clarified if PKB release was for worldwide. We know BB new partner in Indonesia will most likely make a pkb phone given BB's still strong brand presence there but that model won't make it here.
    He means the mercury so yes it will be available worldwide. Chen said he is testing the last in-house designed PKB so obviously Thurber is talking about the mercury.I would argue the one in Indonesia would be a VKB.
    10-05-16 11:59 AM
    He means the mercury so yes it will be available worldwide. Chen said he is testing the last in-house designed PKB so obviously Thurber is talking about the mercury.I would argue the one in Indonesia would be a VKB.
    Why would you think the Indonesia phone would be VKB. Even there the niche the partner would fill would be PKB. Tons of cheap, capable Android VKB to be had in Indonesia and BB is not known for their slab phones anywhere including Indonesia.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-05-16 01:42 PM
    Slab is cheaper and less parts so most likely the Indonesian BB will be slab. With more parts = more point of failure and more support needed.
    10-05-16 01:49 PM
    Senior Device Sales Global VP. LOL. King without a Kingdom.... doesn't get better than this..

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 01:53 PM
    Why would you think the Indonesia phone would be VKB. Even there the niche the partner would fill would be PKB. Tons of cheap, capable Android VKB to be had in Indonesia and BB is not known for their slab phones anywhere including Indonesia.
    1- Because BlackBerry won't release the mercury then have a partner release another PKB a few months after that. Two directly competing products because BlackBerry is making more money on the mercury and actually people in Indonesia would want the mercury that's made by BlackBerry. Not nice for the Indonesian manufacturer too. They wouldn't want another PKB device competing for the already niche very small market for PKBs. One designed by BB even which will be superior to theirs.

2- Because they said they're starting with around 300k phones. BlackBerry sold 400k last quarter, with the Priv + the DTEK50 available. You really think there is a demand for 300k PKB phones? As a start even?.. I don't think even BlackBerry sold that number of PKBs when they were selling 600k or so. You just don't start with 300k PKBs but VKBs.

Anyway, this is my analysis and opinion. Subject to being right or wrong. No facts involved here. The 300k number was mentioned in a thread on CrackBerry.
    10-05-16 02:29 PM
    1- Because BlackBerry won't release the mercury then have a partner release another PKB a few months after that. Two directly competing products because BlackBerry is making more money on the mercury and actually people in Indonesia would want the mercury that's made by BlackBerry. Not nice for the Indonesian manufacturer too. They wouldn't want another PKB device competing for the already niche very small market for PKBs. One designed by BB even which will be superior to theirs.

2- Because they said they're starting with around 300k phones. BlackBerry sold 400k last quarter, with the Priv + the DTEK50 available. You really think there is a demand for 300k PKB phones? As a start even?.. I don't think even BlackBerry sold that number of PKBs when they were selling 600k or so. You just don't start with 300k PKBs but VKBs.

Anyway, this is my analysis and opinion. Subject to being right or wrong. No facts involved here. The 300k number was mentioned in a thread on CrackBerry.
    Rumored price for the Mercury is $500 or least pretty expensive for the Indonesian market so there is room for a cheaper pkb tier say $200-300. I don't think a partner could ramp up that quick for niche hardware, so it would probably have to be released last half of next year so it wouldn't directly compete anyway. Just don't see much revenue available for a slab phone for a partner where the difference is the software, most of which can be added to other Android slabs via subscription.
    10-05-16 03:05 PM
    Rumored price for the Mercury is $500 or least pretty expensive for the Indonesian market so there is room for a cheaper pkb tier say $200-300. I don't think a partner could ramp up that quick for niche hardware, so it would probably have to be released last half of next year so it wouldn't directly compete anyway
    Its not actually that BlackBerry is back in 2008/2010 with their curve and bold lineup and they will release two devices in a short period of time and both are PKBs. One high range and another mid-range.

They barely make one phone per year and keep losing money while they're at it. If they are to release two devices in a short period of time, one will be VKB and another will be PKB. This is 2016 with VKBs everywhere. In real life I see a PKB device every year or so. Plus, they ALREADY made the PKB device. Its being tested.

We're barely hoping for a single PKB device mate, two is a reach!

Just don't see much revenue available for a slab phone for a partner where the difference is the software, most of which can be added to other Android slabs via subscription.
    Yeah unfortunately I just don't see much revenue available for PKB devices where the differentiation is obsolete. A fact that needs not to be backed by any evidence.

Everyone is selling devices backed by software as a differentiator only, why can't BlackBerry make it happen? They're a Soft company. If they can't make it happen then they'll fail again. No one is buying 300k PKBs anytime soon, they didn't buy them when BlackBerry made them. and I'm sure they won't be buying them from our dear Indonesian partner.
    10-05-16 03:13 PM
    Everyone is selling devices backed by software as a differentiator only, why can't BlackBerry make it happen? They're a Soft company. If they can't make it happen then they'll fail again. No one is buying 300k PKBs anytime soon, they didn't buy them when BlackBerry made them. and I'm sure they won't be buying them from our dear Indonesian partner.
    Yeah most the evidence I saw the LEAP was by far the better seller of the two "enterprise" devcies that were last released. Chen has the numbers and he knows what has sold recently and what hasn't. And that will be the basis of if the Rome/Mercury get released... Well that and I think he is hoping someone approaches them about the North American market and takes this design from them.

It clear with this new talk of BB10 that they aren't ruling anything out... but then I don't think they are going to spend anything on these "ventures" either. Cash level is dropping and Chen probable needs some other revenue sources.
    Sairos likes this.
    10-05-16 03:29 PM
    Yeah most the evidence I saw the LEAP was by far the better seller of the two "enterprise" devcies that were last released. Chen has the numbers and he knows what has sold recently and what hasn't. And that will be the basis of if the Rome/Mercury get released... Well that and I think he is hoping someone approaches them about the North American market and takes this design from them.

It clear with this new talk of BB10 that they aren't ruling anything out... but then I don't think they are going to spend anything on these "ventures" either. Cash level is dropping and Chen probable needs some other revenue sources.
    One reason cash level has dropped is that they repaid most of the debentures recently... :-)

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    10-05-16 04:29 PM
    I do believe BB10 is pretty attractive for Chinese. They don't need Google apparently, Apple is too expensive. I just don't rule out that possibility.
    10-06-16 10:59 AM
    Tbh, I like his interviews better than Chen's.
    Way Better.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    ardakca likes this.
    10-06-16 11:02 AM
    I do believe BB10 is pretty attractive for Chinese. They don't need Google apparently, Apple is too expensive. I just don't rule out that possibility.
    I'm hoping the deal with china would get finalized. I would love to see the Chinese take on BlackBerry. One thing for sure, we will see some top specs.
    10-06-16 11:06 AM
    I'm hoping the deal with china would get finalized. I would love to see the Chinese take on BlackBerry. One thing for sure, we will see some top specs.
    Chinese OEMs having their own OS is something huge. Would certainly challenge in Asia with top specs and fluid OS. Kind of dangerous for Apple and Google. Mostly Google because of ads and stuff Google makes money from (and it's spying).
    10-06-16 11:23 AM
    Chinese OEMs having their own OS is something huge. Would certainly challenge in Asia with top specs and fluid OS. Kind of dangerous for Apple and Google. Mostly Google because of ads and stuff Google makes money from (and it's spying).
    If they can get their top dogs to develop apps for BB10. Weibu, Baidu and so on, then integrate these apps fully with BB10. As a result, it will attract more Chinese companies & developers. Et voila, the OS rockets in China. It will be fantastic. I don't care if I don't use these apps but hey glad to see the OS live on even in China xD.
    10-06-16 11:32 AM
    So long as no OS development happens there, since I doubt whichever Western enterprises and governments still using BB10 would enjoy having Chinese entities snooping around the OS they use.
    10-06-16 11:37 AM
    So long as no OS development happens there, since I doubt whichever Western enterprises and governments still using BB10 would enjoy having Chinese entities snooping around the OS they use.
    Exactly. And there will be no OS development. They can't do anything to the OS to unsettle it or make it less secure for western markets or Govs. I don't see them touching the OS, its all BlackBerry's. They just have to inject apps and such content that will make them good enough as entertainment devices in China. If they get the apps into the app world then its fine.
    10-06-16 11:40 AM
    Exactly. And there will be no OS development. They can't do anything to the OS to unsettle it or make it less secure for western markets or Govs. I don't see them touching the OS, its all BlackBerry's. They just have to inject apps and such content that will make them good enough as entertainment devices in china. If they get the apps into app world into the OS then its fine.
    And since there's no OS development, they have to find a crapload of Snapdragon S4 boards, too.
    10-06-16 11:42 AM
    I think BlackBerry will decide if Western Governments or Chinese oems are more profitable. OS development can continue if payment is done . By the way I am waiting something like this in the near future.
    http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016...-and-more.html
    10-06-16 11:53 AM
    who's going to pay for BB10 drivers for all the different hardware configs of these Chinese phones. I doubt BB even has the manpower to assist with that anymore. They can't even get 10.3.3 out that you know has actual security patches which would seem to be the highest priority for Chen.
    10-06-16 12:44 PM
    I think BlackBerry will decide if Western Governments or Chinese oems are more profitable. OS development can continue if payment is done . By the way I am waiting something like this in the near future.
    Nokia P1 Info Pops Up: AMOLED Display, Metal Body, And More | Androidheadlines.com
    Chinese OEMs don't care for any of BlackBerry's selling points (security/privacy); in fact, they prefer the opposite.

As well, BlackBerry cozying up to the Chinese might dissuade Western institutions from using their EMM. If BlackBerry is willing to divulge their OS to foreign powers, what would stop them from exporting BES/Good?
    10-06-16 04:05 PM
    I predict if a deal is struck for a blackberry license in China, it will be just for name and the blackberry android apps, no security.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 09:30 PM
    I think an interesting question, that Alex Thurber didn't really answer, is that if BlackBerry itself is having major difficulties to profitably sell BB devices, how should any other company manage that? Especially if they will have to pay additional licensing fees.
    JeepBB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-07-16 07:17 AM
    They don't need google because they they just largely ignore international IPR laws and do what they like. Virtually all of the large ones are being sued at some level by someone.

However consumers like android and it's got mass adoption - last time I looked, (chinese) android has about 75% share and apple has the rest. BB10 has all the same problems in china it has here.
    10-07-16 07:23 AM
29 12