I've been told by a local mobile phone store that the present BB7 Blackberry phones will be obsolete when the new BB10 units come out in 2013.. is this true.. I wanted to buy a phone for my grandaughter but am now concerned whether it's a wise choice at the present time
    12-12-12 08:17 AM
    No, RIM will continue to sell BBOS7 devices for some time to come, although (from what I understand) they will not necessarily be for the 'developed' markets.

RIM has put A LOT of money into BB10, so it's in their best interests to get it out and sold where it should make money. But they also have a certain stock level of BBOS7 devices which will need to be sold off.

Either way, it would be an exageration to say that BBOS7 devices will be "obsolete", they will still work, they will still send and recieve calls and texts and e-mails, it's just that they won't be the latest and greatest that RIM has to offer.

I should probably add here that some would argue they're "obsolete" already when compared to the competition

Si.
    Zodbuster likes this.
    12-12-12 08:22 AM
    I've been told by a local mobile phone store that the present BB7 Blackberry phones will be obsolete when the new BB10 units come out in 2013.. is this true.. I wanted to buy a phone for my grandaughter but am now concerned whether it's a wise choice at the present time
    In about 50 days, you'll be able to buy BlackBerry 10! Yes, the current BlackBerry (running OS 7) will not be upgradable to OS 10. So, I'd wait 2 months for the new phones. It kicks ***.
    12-12-12 10:20 AM
    It is true that BB10 is not available for the OS 7 devices, but that doesn't completely mean they are obsolete. If the OS 7 devices do what she wants right now, then I don't see an issue, but I suppose we haven't seen what BB10 can really do yet, nor what apps and the like it will have.
    Zodbuster likes this.
    12-12-12 10:25 AM
    I am guessing by analyzing how rim works....

They probably are going to run it parallel for the next 2-3 years, then it will split sides and the phones we hold today will then become obsolete

I still see lots of people on os 6

So, bb10 will probably be more popular for the rich, higher middle class and bb7 will become the entry devices with pretty decent features and specs.

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    Zodbuster likes this.
    12-12-12 10:50 AM
    No its not true
    12-12-12 05:49 PM