I noticed that the BB10's 10.3 update supports APK Android's Jellybean 4.2. I think what the problem is with the app gap is that Android as an OS keeps evolving to Kit kat, Marshmellow etc. I hear lots of complaints about how the new apps in the Google Play store doesn't work properly or work at all because of the incompatible software editions of what the BB10 supports.

Does anybody think that BB10 can improve their app gap situation if they just buy Google Play Store or update a new APK kernel to KitKat or Marshmellow?? Me myself I'm not a big app junkie guy, I just need a few poker apps here and there. But I would like to be considerate for other people that are app junkies. What does anybody think of this of how BB10 can improve their app gap without going all in with Android??
    11-27-15 11:13 AM
    Actually 10.3 brought Android 4.3.

BlackBerry has stated that they won't go beyond that. As they are now selling a pure Android device, they are not allowed to develop the Runtime any further.

As to Google Play Services / Store, this is not permitted on a device running a fork of Android, which the BB10 Runtime is.
    11-27-15 11:22 AM
    First off, not all android apps work on all android phones, that is the starting point. And I doubt that any app dev would limit their apps in stores only to the newest android version, considering the android fragmentation.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 11:23 AM
    First off, not all android apps work on all android phones, that is the starting point. And I doubt that any app dev would limit their apps in stores only to the newest android version, considering the android fragmentation.

Posted via CB10
    Except that over 2/3 of people are already on Android 4.4 and above, and it is climbing quickly. It is a pain to code backward compatibility. The new versions of Android provide a lot more functionality. And let's not even get into Google Play Services, which more and more apps are requiring - my banking app among them.
    11-27-15 11:26 AM
    As mentioned in several threads here, BB10 is in maintenance mode. Don't expect any major improvements/app gap solutions.
    11-27-15 11:27 AM
    If you want Android apps, buy an Android phone. The same goes for iOS. It not rational to expect BB10 to do what those platforms do. BB10 is a very, very good mobile OS, and the 4.3 Android runtime is a great way to plug gaps in the BB10 ecosystem, but you have to accept it for what it is, a work-around.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 12:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    I actually forgot about that some android apps don't really work on android phones as well. I had complaints about that I saw online from different sites. Pretty strange.
    11-27-15 02:56 PM
    Except that over 2/3 of people are already on Android 4.4 and above, and it is climbing quickly. It is a pain to code backward compatibility. The new versions of Android provide a lot more functionality. And let's not even get into Google Play Services, which more and more apps are requiring - my banking app among them.
    Just wonder why your bank would insist you use Google play. I am still pisst that Huffington post feels I need a facebook account to comment.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 04:17 PM
    Just wonder why your bank would insist you use Google play. I am still pisst that Huffington post feels I need a facebook account to comment.

Posted via CB10
    Because some banks have decided to use features in Google Play Services to validate installs, route notifications, provide an integration path to Android Pay, etc.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-27-15 04:23 PM
    Guess they have invested in Google Inc.......

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 04:28 PM
    I get around this issue by carrying a Droid on a spare line. Voila. No App-Gap.

I understand if you only carry one phone, need many Apps, and love BB10, then it's an issue not having pure access to ALL the Apps you wish.

I have come to the conclusion that as my parents used to tell me, "Life is full of compromise". Either you carry a spare Droid to run any app when you want it, you go with Android full time, or you live with BB10 without all the apps you want. Those are your choices. I compromised by carrying a Droid on a Pay as you Go plan for a very low price with plenty of data.
    Kesharik4 likes this.
    11-27-15 04:28 PM
    OP I think that app freaks don't get high with Blackberry. They rather have an apple pie or sugar bombs lol.

But yeah interesting. Since I'm perfectly fine with the OS10 environment and its app-wise limitation I haven't realize that a lot of people out there need app, and from what I've read, they need them badly enough to move on other platforms.
    We can dream on an improved and hypothetical OS upgrades with improved Android runtime supporting Google store and Google services. And I rather have that over an all Android Passport, Classic... you name it.

I may be wrong but which version of Android is running at the start? Have they upgraded it through BB10 upgrades? If so I assume it will be possible to have, let's dream it's free, Marshmallow or Lollipop on BB10 devices?

From Passport with love and bb10.3.2.2474
    11-27-15 10:50 PM
    The BB10 Os is just amazing ,powerful and smooth. I stay with it until my Passport SE dies . Then i go to WP with latest from microsoft. Android is pure spy crap.

  
    11-28-15 03:47 AM
    I am finding this more and more--new apps come out that may be useful for me but need Google Play Services or just don't work correctly on the runtime. I am starting to feel as though we are getting left behind when before it wasn't as big a deal. But now more and more apps are coming out that provide personal/professional convenience/productivity.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 06:26 AM
    The BB10 Os is just amazing ,powerful and smooth. I stay with it until my Passport SE dies . Then i go to WP with latest from microsoft. Android is pure spy crap.

  
    WP is just as much spyware as Google. Haven't you read the WP privacy statement? Microsoft must follow the US law as much as much as Google.
    11-28-15 06:29 AM
    I am still pisst that Huffington post feels I need a facebook account to comment.
    Yes, it annoys me, too, when online publishers only offer social media for account verification. I do understand it, however, as it helps their search rankings, increases page views, reduces trolling, etc.

Unfortunately, it's the price we pay for free media, like ads on television.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 07:02 AM
    WP is just as much spyware as Google. Haven't you read the WP privacy statement? Microsoft must follow the US law as much as much as Google.
    Yes. That's why they call it "the Law".

Do you think BlackBerry somehow get a "pass" when it comes to following the Law? What about Apple?

There was a thread here a few days ago in which some posters seemed outraged that BB should admit to following the law regarding Legal Intercept.
    11-28-15 09:35 AM
    Do you think BlackBerry somehow get a "pass" when it comes to following the Law? What about Apple?

There was a thread here a few days ago in which some posters seemed outraged that BB should admit to following the law regarding Legal Intercept.
    US law is not the same as Canadian law. However, one might wonder why Blackberry is allowed to sell phones without Prism stuff in the US. I think it is because then Prism would be too much exposed in foreign countries that could take advantage of it.
    11-28-15 12:21 PM