Keep 4 Keys and a trackpad 100%
    No thank you. Maybe on the qwerty model but not the all touch
    08-17-12 07:11 PM
    FWIW, I haven't felt the need for a trackpad since my MyTouch 4G. The 3.8in display was still small enough that I used it quite a bit. Then when I got into 4.3in and now my 4.8in screens, the edge of my thumb works just fine. And if it isn't EXACT, the cursor isn't just a straight line, there's a little "tab" at the bottom of it where you can put your finger and drag it to where it needs to be. I'm hoping the BB10 keyboard will implement these aspects. I plan on getting the full touch BB10 device, and as long as it has a 4.3in-ish display I won't lament the loss of the trackpad.
    It works that way on the PlayBook too. Don't see any reason BB10 wouldn't.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-17-12 07:37 PM
    Just curious if anyone else here on the forum is a little weary of the whole "tile" theme on the upcoming BB10? I have an iPhone as well as a 9800 Torch and I have to tell you one of my favorite features is the track pad! I guess I'm in the minority but I think OS 6/7 is just a elegant "mature" OS. I'm due for a upgrade on 12/25 so I will have had a chance to play with iOS 6 and will definitely wait for BB10 but in the end I just might pick up a 9900. Just wanted to see what my BB peeps thoughts were on this.

Regards......Ed

I was thinking the same thing. The "trackpad" is what makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry.. Before having a touchscreen on a BB Device, the trackpad made the phone. That was the only way to navigate around the phone and still is for some BB Phones. If BB10 devices don't have a trackpad, the keyboard is just used for typing. Really takes away the purpose for even having a physical keyboard. The keyboard would just be there as if it was an extra accessory. I might just stick with my 9930.
    08-17-12 09:21 PM
    I can batch select emails with two taps on my 9810... not on my PB
    08-17-12 11:34 PM
    I would prefer a larger display - easier to read than the small display.
    08-18-12 01:28 AM
    i have never thought "hey playbook needs a trackpad"

bb10 without a trackpad is fine by me.
    I have....
    08-18-12 05:29 AM
    Add me to the i wish my playbook had a trackpad club.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-18-12 06:35 AM
    Physical keyboard-must have
    Physical trackpad- must have
    4 menu keys- must have but may be softkeys
    08-18-12 07:43 AM
    I love my Playbook and if it's going to be anything like that, I'll love it as a phone. I keep telling my husband, "if they can just shrink this bad boy down and put a phone option on it, it would be a dream."
    kemj likes this.
    08-18-12 08:10 AM
    im sure someone could develop an app that would make an optical style trackpad with the touch screen if RIM already hasn't. or even use the bezel and do the same sort of thing. they are already using a zoom style for the text curser so why not use a trackpad style touch screen
    08-18-12 09:43 AM
    im sure someone could develop an app that would make an optical style trackpad with the touch screen if RIM already hasn't. or even use the bezel and do the same sort of thing. they are already using a zoom style for the text curser so why not use a trackpad style touch screen
    An app that persists across all apps is a pretty tall order. With the current SDK there's no way to accomplish that. If it's to be done (the virtual trackpad) it will have to be done by RIM themselves. I think it's not a bad idea, maybe a gesture of some sort.

Touch 2 fingers to the screen and move up/down left/right to move the cursor.
    08-18-12 09:54 AM
    Or they could use the bottom right corner of the bezel as an optional mouse and cursor. Would be a pretty cool feature and wouldn't interfere with the screen view or size. As for the 4 buttons I'm sure they can be a virtual thing sort of like the keypad with the playbook that if you pull the bottom left corner you can pull up the keyboard anywhere so to pull up the send/end/back/menu button you can do it from the right bottom corner, although with BB10 and it's smooth gesture based architecture the back isn't needed and in a way neither is the menu as you can once again use the corner based gesture in this case a top left pull down. Since the normal BB OS used the left side

If you haven't noticed I have alot of pretty crazy ideas ahh the life of a person with ADD and their laziness and attention to the little details
    Last edited by GTiLeo; 08-18-12 at 10:07 AM.
    08-18-12 10:03 AM
    Add me to the i wish my playbook had a trackpad club.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Nooooooo.... Industrial design wise, my PB is perfect, no need to change a thing.

Hardware wise, faster cpu, more ram, smaller bazel, maybe.

Software wise, BB10! + batch selecting emails with two taps
    08-18-12 10:15 AM
    Or they could use the bottom right corner of the bezel as an optional mouse and cursor. Would be a pretty cool feature and wouldn't interfere with the screen view or size. As for the 4 buttons I'm sure they can be a virtual thing sort of like the keypad with the playbook that if you pull the bottom left corner you can pull up the keyboard anywhere so to pull up the send/end/back/menu button you can do it from the right bottom corner, although with BB10 and it's smooth gesture based architecture the back isn't needed and in a way neither is the menu as you can once again use the corner based gesture in this case a top left pull down. Since the normal BB OS used the left side

If you haven't noticed I have alot of pretty crazy ideas ahh the life of a person with ADD and their laziness and attention to the little details
    Mouse? no. Keyboard shortcuts? Yes!!!
    08-18-12 10:30 AM
    Mouse? no. Keyboard shortcuts? Yes!!!
    You can already pull up a keyboard with a corner swiping gesture so it's easy enough to pull up keyboard short cuts once the feature has been worked in
    08-18-12 10:34 AM
    I think bb OS 7 devices will be around for a few more years along with bb10. The Bold is such a awesome device I think Rim needs to put the BB 10 OS in a bold.
    We really have to take everything into consideration.
    The Bold (great and successful as it is) represents the past RIM is trying to attract people who left by demonstrating they have left behind. They really need to leave it to BBOS.
    Let's face it for RIM it is not impossible to make another great qwerty design without aping any BBOS device. RIM patented a great qwerty design a few weeks/months ago that offers them an opportunity to make a qwerty design that is still good but clearly a break from the BlackBerry of BBOS, which let's face is what they need. Right now the million dollar question at Waterloo is; how do we get everyone who left interested again? The answer is nowhere near reproducing ANY BBOS design. Be it software or harsware. BB10 is a fresh, modern take of the smartphone as BlackBerry believe it should be going forward.
    The greatest disadvantage of qwerty devices in today's casual smartphone buyers is that it comes at a heavy cost to the screen real estate. For this reason I have misgivings about RIM announcing they will run with 720 x 720 screen resolutions. Which is all more baffling if you consider the trackpad and the four keys are not surviving. Why couldn't it be taller?
    <Sigh> more scrolling and zooming for us all then?
    08-18-12 12:46 PM
    The greatest disadvantage of qwerty devices in today's casual smartphone buyers is that it comes at a heavy cost to the screen real estate.
    Which is why the Torch slider is the perfect form factor.
    08-18-12 01:00 PM
    The greatest disadvantage of qwerty devices in today's casual smartphone buyers is that it comes at a heavy cost to the screen real estate.
    The keyboard negates that.

Also, I've never seen a thread by someone complaining about the screen size of the 99XX.
    08-18-12 01:20 PM
    i have never thought "hey playbook needs a trackpad"

bb10 without a trackpad is fine by me.
    See, I HAVE wanted a trackpad on my Playbook. When I type something into Google, and it starts to give me the "Autofill" results, 9 times out of ten, it will give me the WRONG one when I tap one. With a trackpad and cursor on my Torch 9810, I never have that issue.
    08-18-12 03:05 PM
    See, I HAVE wanted a trackpad on my Playbook. When I type something into Google, and it starts to give me the "Autofill" results, 9 times out of ten, it will give me the WRONG one when I tap one. With a trackpad and cursor on my Torch 9810, I never have that issue.
    Bridge your Torch to the PB and use the BB's screen as a trackpad or the trackpad as a ermm trackpad.
    08-18-12 03:10 PM
    Bridge your Torch to the PB and use the BB's screen as a trackpad or the trackpad as a ermm trackpad.
    Right, but once I have a BB10 phone, I won't have that option anymore, because I won't have that trackpad. I'll actually have to keep my Torch 9810 to be able to do that. I think that's the point we're making.
    08-18-12 03:13 PM
    Right, but once I have a BB10 phone, I won't have that option anymore, because I won't have that trackpad. I'll actually have to keep my Torch 9810 to be able to do that. I think that's the point we're making.

Yeah sure, nothing has been confirmed at the moment about the lack of a trackpad on BB10 as I believe.

I'd like to have a trackpad on the qwerty bb10 myself but there must have been people who were concerned when there was rumours that RIM were doing away with the trackball only to realise that the trackpad was a better option when they got the hang of it.

If we, in the future no longer have a trackpad, I'm sure we'll survive / get the hang of whatever new method RIM will give us.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 08-18-12 at 03:50 PM.
    08-18-12 03:28 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD