I currently use a bold 9900, I've had it for over a year and like it a lot. For this reason I always planned on getting a bb10 phone for my next device when the bold dies. I must say though I have become quite intrigued by the idea of Google nexus phones. The main reasons being they are about half as much money as other premier smart phones with almost as good specs. I also love the fact that I can by it direct from Google unlocked as I travel between Canada and south Africa a lot. I would like to hear from anyone who has maybe used one, Are there any downfalls to the nexus 4 other than a non-removable battery and no removable storage? Neither of these things would be a deal breaker for me.
    05-01-13 08:09 AM
    Nexus is pure android.. no bloatware. It's slightly different than what one would be accustomed to for an android phone..

In the context of what you should get, blackberry 10 will become a computing platform, I think that alone would warrant your choice.

Android is mainly a phone OS while BB10 is a mobile OS.

- Just saying
    05-01-13 08:33 AM
    Nexus is pure android.. no bloatware. It's slightly different than what one would be accustomed to for an android phone..

In the context of what you should get, blackberry 10 will become a computing platform, I think that alone would warrant your choice.

- Just saying
    Why will BB10 become a computing platform vs Google or MS or Apple phones ? Thanks
    05-01-13 08:41 AM
    Good question... i think all of them will..BB might just be better faster and more reliable due to their OS called QNX which is already being used as computing model in various places like NASA and Bentleys etc

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 09:17 AM
    Dear OP,

What you seek in your smartphone? Find and define it first. Then, you can see clearer which one is appropriate for your needs.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 09:20 AM

- Just saying
    The problem with this train of thought is that the Z10 is way farther from a computing platform than Nexus is right now and by the time BB10 gets to that point, if it ever does, the Z10 will be a distant memory. It befuddles me how some think the Z10 is going to be some nuclear substation in the near future.
    05-01-13 09:41 AM
    For me, it's about platform maturity. The Z10 is brand new, so it doesn't have all the goods baked into it yet. It's missing a LOT of features that are available in even legacy BBOS. That said, because it's a brand new operating system, it's unlike anything currently on the market. It's two main differences are the hub and the active frames. Both I can definitely see getting better with time, especially as more apps are developed that will integrate into both.

The Nexus 4 is indeed a STEAL for the money. It's definitely the best speced and feature-filled for the price. I've never used one, but it's actually impressed me so much that I'm picking one up to use alongside my Z10. I strayed from Android briefly and I miss some of the features and functions the platform offers.

Bottom line: If you want the BEST device for the money RIGHT NOW in terms of features and apps - get the Nexus. If you get the Nexus, MAKE SURE the next purchase is a good case, since pretty much the entire thing is made of glass.

If you want to get a new device unlike anything else on the market, but with the understanding that it's fairly limited in terms of features and apps, get the Z10. Also, a purchase of the Z10 would also be a slight tip in the scales in marketshare which we all hope will lead to the attention of developers who could help the platform beome great by developing apps specifically for BB10, including active frame integration.
    05-01-13 09:41 AM
    From a dollar perspective, the Nexus 4 is a great bang for the buck. But, if LTE is important for you, keep in mind that it doesn't have that.
    Last edited by BlackBerry Guy; 05-01-13 at 09:56 AM.
    05-01-13 09:45 AM
    i would stick with the blackberry if you like the bold. If your in a bar in South Africa and cute girl sees your brand new expensive Q10, first thing shes going to do is ask for your Pin.
    05-01-13 09:54 AM
    If price is an issue, get the Nexus. If you want the more advanced device, spring for the Z. You won't regret it. Never mind the haters - they're just knocking something that they haven't tried.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 09:56 AM
    Good question... i think all of them will..BB might just be better faster and more reliable due to their OS called QNX which is already being used as computing model in various places like NASA and Bentleys etc

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. But Linux is far more used as a computing model then qnx

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 09:57 AM
    Why will BB10 become a computing platform vs Google or MS or Apple phones ? Thanks
    All. Unlike ios (stripped down osx), wp8 (stripped down windows8), android (I won't bother) bb10 is built as a full fledged oS and not just a phone OS.

10.1 allows it to access files from your pc remotely, not icloud nor dropbox nor box apps needed.

Also in the context of what Heins says about these phones in the future will be connected to a screen and a keyboard and you have everything you need for a computing device says it all.

I agree nexus is fully baked and a bang for the buck when it comes to a phone but when it comes to BB10 it's not just about the phone but all about the platform. Yes it's new but it will get there (they will announce something on BB LIVE)

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 10:00 AM
    My main needs is a reliable device as I'm often on call for work, I don't use a ton of apps, I use it mainly for messaging and browsing the Internet. Based on the feedback so far it seems like both phones would be great for me, ive just got to decide if the Z or Q is worth the extra cash. I've never used an android phone, so I'm a little worried about making the switch.
    05-01-13 11:12 AM
    Messaging/browsing = Blackberry.
    Maps/apps = Android

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 11:35 AM
    Messaging/browsing = Blackberry.
    Maps/apps = Android

Posted via CB10
    Messaging and browsing? Really?
    05-01-13 11:41 AM
    I own a LE Z10 and a Nexus 4. If what people are saying is true, I also own the Dev Alpha C (rumor has it that BlackBerry will not be asking for them back). My wife also owns a Nexus 4.

In my opinion, there is no contest which is better between BlackBerry 10 and Nexus 4. Devices have to be judge on what they can do today. Not what they might be able to do someday. With that in mind, the Nexus 4 is better than BlackBerry 10.

Not only is it better, it is cheaper and it is a real unlocked smartphone. Not just somewhat unlocked like BlackBerry 10 is. For $300, you can buy a Nexus 4 that will work on any GSM carrier in the world (as far as I know of anyway). A off contract, factory unlocked Z10 will cost you twice that and the unlocked BB10 device will only work on approved carriers, because the OS doesn't allow full, user control of the APN settings. So while traveling, it's really hard to tell if BlackBerry 10 will work on a carrier. For example, my BB10 devices do not work with prepaid American carriers like Straight Talk and Net 10. I'm sure the other US prepaid options won't work either.

Both our Nexus 4s get any where from 18 to 24 hours per charge. So the non removable battery hasn't been an issue for us, but that will depend on your use habits.

Not only is the Nexus 4 cheaper, and easier to use around the world - it has better hardware specs, a larger screen, a better looking design (subject to opinion), more customizability, and all the apps a person could want. If you use Google's services at all, you owe it to yourself to get the Nexus. BB10 doesn't even have a native YouTube app. No Google Maps, No Goolge Voice, No Google Earth, No Gmail app, and what is offered limits your Gmail accounts to only 30 days of sync.

The app situation is simply horrible for BlackBerry 10 right now. They have a large number of apps, but very few that are worth using. Even the basics, like a good RSS feed reader is hard to come by for BlackBerry 10 unless you want to sideload a converted Android 2.3 gingerbread app.

BlackBerry 10 does offer a better keyboard and more reasons to swipe. So if you're really into swiping and typing, you might be happier with the Z or Q10. The decision is your's at the end of the day, but if you're buying your next phone off contract. There is no way the Z10 is twice as good as a Nexus 4, so why pay twice the price?

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    05-01-13 12:02 PM
    I've often wondered why the nexus isn't the best selling android phone just due to price. I guess with contract the others are just as cheap or cheaper?
    05-01-13 12:22 PM
    All. Unlike ios (stripped down osx), wp8 (stripped down windows8), android (I won't bother) bb10 is built as a full fledged oS and not just a phone OS.

10.1 allows it to access files from your pc remotely, not icloud nor dropbox nor box apps needed.

Also in the context of what Heins says about these phones in the future will be connected to a screen and a keyboard and you have everything you need for a computing device says it all.

I agree nexus is fully baked and a bang for the buck when it comes to a phone but when it comes to BB10 it's not just about the phone but all about the platform. Yes it's new but it will get there (they will announce something on BB LIVE)

Posted via CB10
    You didn't list a single thing that BlackBerry 10 will do that Android hasn't already been doing for years.

Want to access all of the files on your PC using your Android phone or Tablet? - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....polkast&hl=en

That is just the app I use, it works great, but there are several others that will also do it and are free.

Android devices can use a mouse and keyboard over Bluetooth also. That isn't anything new. They can also use USB wired mice and keyboards. Can BlackBerry 10 do that? I can plug a mouse, keyboard, SD Card reader, external harddrive, and my Garmin GPS into a USB hub, plug the other end into my Android and use all of those USB devices. Can BlackBerry 10 do that? Trick question, I know it can't. Android can even manage other Android devices. For example, I've backed up, rooted and restored a Android device using nothing but a Android device and a USB cable. Android can also be hooked up to a external monitor, both wired and/or wirelessly.

You dismissed Android at the very beginning yet went on to list things Android has easily accomplished for years. Not sure if you just don't understand what Android is capable of or if you were just trying to troll, but it didn't make very much sense.

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-01-13 12:27 PM
    I've often wondered why the nexus isn't the best selling android phone just due to price. I guess with contract the others are just as cheap or cheaper?
    Good question... I wondered myself. A big reason may be because it is limited to only GSM carriers in the US. Neither VZW or Sprint carry it, and that also removes a big portion of sales to CDMA prepaid carriers.
    kbz1960 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    05-01-13 12:41 PM
    Good question... I wondered myself. A big reason may be because it is limited to only GSM carriers in the US. Neither VZW or Sprint carry it, and that also removes a big portion of sales to CDMA prepaid carriers.
    Thanks. I didn't know they were only GSM here.
    05-01-13 12:44 PM
    You didn't list a single thing that BlackBerry 10 will do that Android hasn't already been doing for years.

Want to access all of the files on your PC using your Android phone or Tablet? - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....polkast&hl=en

That is just the app I use, it works great, but there are several others that will also do it and are free.

Android devices can use a mouse and keyboard over Bluetooth also. That isn't anything new. They can also use USB wired mice and keyboards. Can BlackBerry 10 do that? I can plug a mouse, keyboard, SD Card reader, external harddrive, and my Garmin GPS into a USB hub, plug the other end into my Android and use all of those USB devices. Can BlackBerry 10 do that? Trick question, I know it can't. Android can even manage other Android devices. For example, I've backed up, rooted and restored a Android device using nothing but a Android device and a USB cable. Android can also be hooked up to a external monitor, both wired and/or wirelessly.

You dismissed Android at the very beginning yet went on to list things Android has easily accomplished for years. Not sure if you just don't understand what Android is capable of or if you were just trying to troll, but it didn't make very much sense.

agreed with points made. Just a correction though, I am not trolling amd I never did DISMISS android to start with.

I was providing my insights on what is BlackBerry 10's differentiator. Okay you have apps to control files etc. Remotely but is it native? Is android already in car systems? Again this is not trying to make android look bad. I am just stating that blackberry is being marketed as a mobile platform unlike android which was a phone oS to begin with.

With that context in mind, you should look at bb10 phones differently on what they could potentially offer in the coming days (mobile tech is fast paced so ot won't take long IMO)

Again, nothing against Google nexus as a phone. Sorry if I hurt your feeling abput android.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 09:42 PM
    I eliminated it from consideration because the battery could not be removed and the memory was not expandable.
    05-01-13 10:23 PM
    I eliminated it from consideration because the battery could not be removed and the memory was not expandable.
    Good point. That cheapness came at a cost. I could forego expandable storage, but I'd rather not. For folks not yet invested in the cloud, it might have been a bit less attractive.
    05-01-13 10:40 PM
    agreed with points made. Just a correction though, I am not trolling amd I never did DISMISS android to start with.

I was providing my insights on what is BlackBerry 10's differentiator. Okay you have apps to control files etc. Remotely but is it native? Is android already in car systems? Again this is not trying to make android look bad. I am just stating that blackberry is being marketed as a mobile platform unlike android which was a phone oS to begin with.

With that context in mind, you should look at bb10 phones differently on what they could potentially offer in the coming days (mobile tech is fast paced so ot won't take long IMO)

Again, nothing against Google nexus as a phone. Sorry if I hurt your feeling abput android.

Posted via CB10
    The words you used were something about not even bothering with Android. To me, that seemed like a dissmisal from the conversation. You didn't hurt my feelings, I'm not a fanboy of any platform. I was just pointing out that Android can do all of the things you've listed and it can. That is a easily verifiable fact. I know BB10 is magical and all, but what can it do at this point that Android won't/can't do? Wow, QNX is in cars, what does that allow us to do at this point? Dream about buying the QNX Porsche? BTW, I've sat in that car. It is pretty awesome.

We keep hearing about the potential, but when will we see BB10 do all of the things I listed? The stuff I listed isn't even hard. It's stuff Android has been doing for years. I know Android is just a lowly phone OS and BB10 is a mobile computing platform, but gosh darnit Android seems to do an awful lot of things that aren't currently possible with BB10.

Here are some more things to add to the list, not sure if we can call any of this "mobile computing" or not. But with Android, the lowly phone os, I can control my DSLR camera, I can wirelessly sync data to and from fitness equipment, GPS units, refrigerators, ovens, laundry machines, and remotely controlled vehicles. For a phone OS, Android can do a lot of stuff. Now, can we do any of those things with the magical mobile computing platform?

Personally, I live in the present and presently, BB10 is really far behind. Keep dreaming about the potential though I guess. Me, I'd rather TH shut his mouth and give us something real, that actually serves a useful and unique purpose and isn't make believe.

05-01-13 11:15 PM
    OP, if you are using the Bold then you should check out the Q10. My sister is patiently waiting for the Q10.

Post via CB Z10
    05-01-13 11:27 PM
53 123