When all you ever here is Blackberry doesn't have this app, or Blackberry doesn't have that app.
    Could this article be a good sign for BB10 and Blackberry.
    Macadamian Accelerates BlackBerry� 10 App Development Pace by 85%; Maxim Among Software Firms Latest Design and Development Credits

I don't really think it matters if I believe BB10 is the next big thing in mobile computing, consumers will decide
    if BB10 is a success, and a big part of that is the total smartphone exsperiance. Social media, entertainment and communications, need to all be in the package. Blackberry in my view is ready to erupt and provide its faithful with a growing and rich mobile ecosystem, but that's just my take!! What's yours?
    05-13-13 11:32 AM
    I think 1 Spotify is as good as 25 Maxims when it comes to app "Prestige", if not more.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 12:46 PM
    True. Moreover, bb missed the chance to get a wave of serious developer support for launch. NOW there won't be any real traction until bb announces big numbers. If they can do that, traction will follow. Until then, I think many will wait, rather than waste resources on a gamble.
    05-13-13 01:14 PM
    True. Moreover, bb missed the chance to get a wave of serious developer support for launch. NOW there won't be any real traction until bb announces big numbers. If they can do that, traction will follow. Until then, I think many will wait, rather than waste resources on a gamble.
    Really?? 100,000 unique apps tested and approved before even 1 BB10 unit was sold does not count as serious developer support?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 01:24 PM
    What chance did they "miss"? They did all they could short of taking hostages.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    shaleem, hpjrt, Mister-E and 4 others like this.
    05-13-13 01:27 PM

They didn't miss any chance; all that could be done was done. He is wrong.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-13-13 01:42 PM
    I think BlackBerry pulled all the stops they could to get Dev support at launch. I'm not a Dev so I'm not familiar with Dev tools but from what I've seen the tools provided by BlackBerry were very easy to use. They launched with many big devs. Yes I know not all but still a good number. They even announced a Skype app to calm the nerves. They let people easily side load android apps knowing it will help fill a gap. And even android apps that don't work could be tweaked unofficially to make them work (instragram). I think bb10 has 6 out 10 apps that I need. Out of the remaining 4, 2 can be side loaded.

Only a matter of short time before they get serious app momentum going. And as unlikely as it seems I hope they get Google to develop for them.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 01:45 PM

If you wish to argue that there was never a chance, that is fine - it is possible, though I choose not to believe that.

Let us not however descend into the foolishness of attempting to assertively claim that we know all the things that could have been done, the details of the negotiations and efforts that were made.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    05-13-13 01:47 PM
    If you wish to argue that there was never a chance, that is fine - it is possible, though I choose not to believe that.

Let us not however descend into the foolishness of attempting to assertively claim that we know all the things that could have been done, the details of the negotiations and efforts that were made.
    Armchair CEOs strike again!
    05-13-13 01:58 PM

Look, the "app gap" can be put down to one thing: major app developers don't want to expend development and support resources on a new platform until it proves itself in the marketplace.

There are ways to shift that balance a little ($$$ can certainly help), but some developers are big enough that you could offer tens of millions of dollars and they still couldn't be bothered.

I've said it elsewhere: there are hundreds of millions of iOS and Android devices out there; they are unquestionably huge platforms. BB10 has maybe 5 million users right now. When a company has to pay the same development cost for iOS as they would for BB10, it's understandable that they'll want to target the platform that has the most users.

I think we'll see upwards of 20 million BB10 users by the end of this year. At that point the numbers start making more sense.
    shaleem, hpjrt, Vorkosigan and 2 others like this.
    05-13-13 04:00 PM
    @Thunderbuck on top of that BlackBerry users tend to spend more money on apps on average.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 04:10 PM
    From what I have read, developers have been offered assistance and a financial reward in the way of the $10K. I don't know what more the incentive is to development on the other 2 platforms. It would be interesting to see how an app that is free or. 99 generates sufficient income for the developer.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 08:31 PM
    Why do people respond to that *****! Really he has never supplied anything of value. Ignore all useless clowns!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 04:28 AM
    BB10 starting to gain developer traction-img_00000034.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 04:54 AM
    From what I have read, developers have been offered assistance and a financial reward in the way of the $10K. I don't know what more the incentive is to development on the other 2 platforms. It would be interesting to see how an app that is free or. 99 generates sufficient income for the developer.

Posted via CB10
    Developers can only do so much if an API isn't open. I know of a couple of things that would be great to make an app for, but the API isn't opened and I personally don't have the track record to make it worth while for the owner of the device/data (i.e. I'm just a hobby app developer). This is the issue every time someone says "Where's this app?" or "Why doesn't BlackBerry make an app for this?" If the person who owns the data/product won't open their API, then there is not much a developer can do.
    05-14-13 06:48 AM