It is all too quit at RIM. no rumors, nothing, zilch.

So whats up? Even Apple cant keep rumors as well as this and RIM
    has been a disaster in the past in keeping secrets.

We have already seen rumored the Apple IPhone 5 casing and know its a 4inch screen
    etc.

We have heard no decent spec rumors for the BB10, not even screen size.

So have RIM done a good job on withholding this info? - or are they in real trouble
    where they have not even got this far and we are looking at early 2013 before
    a release date.

If RIM were to let leak something on the hardware front (such as advanced screen / camera / processor or design) then this may help a jittery market.

It's not a case of 'No news is good news!'
    06-11-12 12:10 PM
    Apparently RIM have gotten much better at keeping secrets. Isn't that a good thing?
    06-11-12 12:12 PM
    I think you are trying to easy your jitters.
    06-11-12 12:16 PM
    Good if true, I just hope it is, but some rumor may help devotees like myself from straying away. We need hope and not just vaporware.
    06-11-12 12:18 PM
    At least for today, all eyes are on Apple.

Not a bad thing to fly under the radar, especially when you've been a big target for flak.
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    06-11-12 12:22 PM
    Yep, will be interesting what Apple has to offer.
    06-11-12 12:24 PM
    There are still many months between now and the release of BB10. They will release the 'rumors' in the coming months I'm sure.
    06-11-12 12:28 PM
    The only rumors we are hearing are related to acquisitions that are public information. We have to remember that with a change in leadership comes a change in strategies - including use of leaked information. I don't think you can compare prior strategies with current ones to draw any meaningful conclusions.
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    06-11-12 12:53 PM
    So whats up? Even Apple cant keep rumors as well as this and RIM has been a disaster in the past in keeping secrets.

So have RIM done a good job on withholding this info?
    The people developing BB10 is completely separate from those developing legacy OS --- they are all from outside companies like QNX and TAT.
    06-11-12 02:18 PM
    At least for today, all eyes are on Apple.

Not a bad thing to fly under the radar, especially when you've been a big target for flak.
    True, but flying too low will get you unnoticed.

People lose interest and ultimately stop caring altogether.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    06-11-12 02:25 PM
    True, but flying too low will get you unnoticed.

People lose interest and ultimately stop caring altogether.
    I have been saying this for some time now. Close to the vest is one thing.
    Total media dark is suicidal. RIM apparently does not realize there are still
    ways to market and control it's messaging while not divulging state secrets.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-11-12 02:57 PM
    RIM has never gained anything from leaking information early, or releasing info about a device well before the release (see Playbook launch fiasco). They need to wait until about two weeks before the device launches to announce the launch date, specs, and go on a major marketing offensive.
    06-11-12 03:09 PM
    I dont think RIM is great at keeping secrets.

I just dont think they have very much to share. I think we've seen just about everything they have ready.

RIM shouldn't be playing the secret game. the speculation against RIM is all negative. The only thing keeping secrets is doing is givng a climate in which all the negative press can thrive.

Releasing every bit of information about OS10 and related hardware as soon as it's available is the only silver lining to this dark cloud
    06-11-12 03:20 PM
    It is called "stealth mode". RIM is finally playing the game correctly. The only viable scenario for RIM is to have BB10 be a success. RIM must maintain this mode until BB10 launches. Get used to it.
    06-11-12 03:42 PM
    It is called "stealth mode". RIM is finally playing the game correctly. The only viable scenario for RIM is to have BB10 be a success. RIM must maintain this mode until BB10 launches. Get used to it.
    hmmm, I dont know.

Stealth mode could ultimately find RIM in a state of oblivion.

They should create some kind of buzz since most people aren't even buying Blackberry's or think the company is still in business.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 06-11-12 at 03:54 PM.
    06-11-12 03:45 PM
    You do realize you are simply making crap up to lend credence to what any intelligent person
    would categorize as marketing ineptitude.

"Stealth mode?" Seriously? Name for me (with a straight face) one other company that employs
    this strategy? Name one that does so voluntarily. Name one that has employed this so called
    strategy with even a modicum of success.

Again, not dropping EVERY detail of BB10 on the chattering class and the press is a smart
    move, the whole "we'll just be quiet and let speculation grow" nonsense is typical RIM. Nonsense.
    They keep this up and they will "stealth" themselves, BB10 and their new devices right out
    of the minds of the people whose interest they should be piquing.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-11-12 04:35 PM
    I think what rim needs is full surprise. I have a feeling that this new OS will be very different and innovative from what we are used to. If they let it out now there will be no wow factor and other companies will try and steal their ideas. They showed off some great things such as the keyboard and some great developer support and flow? OMG, WINNING!!! I can't wait to see the major workings of BB10 come closer to launch date. Just my 2 cents.
    06-11-12 06:04 PM
    I think what rim needs is full surprise. I have a feeling that this new OS will be very different and innovative from what we are used to. If they let it out now there will be no wow factor and other companies will try and steal their ideas. They showed off some great things such as the keyboard and some great developer support and flow? OMG, WINNING!!! I can't wait to see the major workings of BB10 come closer to launch date. Just my 2 cents.

Like I said, I don't think they need to release detailed specs but right now they should create some kind of Buzz. They need to bring some kind of attention letting people know they're cooking something.

I remember during the New Years Eve special, they were showing Bold 9900 commercials. People were surprised that Blackberrys have touchscreens, even though the 9900 was released in AUGUST. People didn't know about the features until FOUR months after the release.

Marketing is not RIM's strong point and it hurts them the most. They should have shown the commercials BEFORE the release, not four months after nobody was paying attention and moved on to other platforms.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-11-12 06:46 PM
    You do realize you are simply making crap up to lend credence to what any intelligent person
    would categorize as marketing ineptitude.

"Stealth mode?" Seriously? Name for me (with a straight face) one other company that employs
    this strategy? Name one that does so voluntarily. Name one that has employed this so called
    strategy with even a modicum of success.

Again, not dropping EVERY detail of BB10 on the chattering class and the press is a smart
    move, the whole "we'll just be quiet and let speculation grow" nonsense is typical RIM. Nonsense.
    They keep this up and they will "stealth" themselves, BB10 and their new devices right out
    of the minds of the people whose interest they should be piquing.
    "Stealth Mode" was not invented by me. It is not an unknown practice. Android if I recall started as a stealth mode company. Apple practices this mode to the -nth degree. You have no idea what they are working on until they pretty much release it on the day it is announced. Look at what they announced AND released yesterday. This has nothing to do with marketing ability. RIM marketing has not yet learned and I hope this changes very quickly. What I am talking about is developing BB10 under the radar of competitors.

The keyboard from Dev Con appeared on competitor devices within days, the camera from Dev Con was eerily similar (for good reason) to those shown by others. We know that new phone hardware running a new OS is coming. We know the OS will be powerful; we know the hardware will be capable. The product is in development and not currently for sale. What more do you need to know other than when is it available and where can I get it?
    06-12-12 10:24 AM
    It entirely depends on how far away this first BB10 device is from seeing the light of day. The further the counter-productive talking about it now would be. Remember RIM is still trying to flog OS7 devices.
    As an all-new OS, RIM probably needs to max out the elements of 'novelty', 'surprise' and 'newness' to make the maximum splash. They could do with the right kind of buzz at the moment. RIM has the rare opportunity of unveiling an all-new OS AND a new device. It can't be messed up.
    As a BB user I think what they should do right now is at least drop a code name even the actual device name if they are feeling brave to show that a device is really in the works. Let people speculate on the rest. A teaser site can help with this.
    I actually think if BB10 is lithe enough RIM should avoid mentioning too many specs altogether (unless they feel they can gain something from it) and let people do their own investigations.
    06-12-12 11:27 AM
    If Blackberry wants my continued business they would be better off releasing more details both hardware and software on BB10. My torch is due to be replaced this fall and it won't be with a BB7 device:

Do I wait for a BB10 device?
    Will the Date slip again?
    Will there be a slider? (I like a real keyboard and a large display)
    How will it compare to current Android Devices? Galaxy IIIs, HTC OneX etc.

As a user it feels like it is time to jump to a different system. RIM should be convincing me to wait, it doesn't seem like it.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-12-12 12:40 PM
    If Blackberry wants my continued business they would be better off releasing more details both hardware and software on BB10. My torch is due to be replaced this fall and it won't be with a BB7 device:

Do I wait for a BB10 device?

Will the Date slip again?

Will there be a slider? (I like a real keyboard and a large display)

How will it compare to current Android Devices? Galaxy IIIs, HTC OneX etc.

As a user it feels like it is time to jump to a different system. RIM should be convincing me to wait, it doesn't seem like it.

I completely agree. Since there is no solid release date they should drop SOME kind of info about it to validate waiting.

06-12-12 12:43 PM
    With the current view of RIM by the media... Tech bloggers.... I think RIM is smart to keep a low profile.... Just imagine what a Media that has it in for RIM could do with advance info about BB10....

4.4 in screen... way too big
    4.0 in. screen... way to small
    Hardware keyboard.... living in the dark ages
    Touch Keyboard.... abandoning their roots
    Multitasking.... who cares... not really needed
    Duo Core processor.... behind the times
    Quad Core Processor.... How come they used older version

My favorite.... Apple and Android already have it......

Short list and many more I could have added.... each feature can be used against RIM and will be....

Where people get the idea Apple is forthcoming with specs is beyond me.... Any Rumor you read is something made up by someone..... If RIM is really intersted in good PR... do like Apple... when BB10 phone is close to being ready.... have a drunken engineer leave a locked prototype and watch the PR you get
    06-12-12 12:57 PM
    With the current view of RIM by the media... Tech bloggers.... I think RIM is smart to keep a low profile.... Just imagine what a Media that has it in for RIM could do with advance info about BB10....

4.4 in screen... way too big
    4.0 in. screen... way to small
    Hardware keyboard.... living in the dark ages
    Touch Keyboard.... abandoning their roots
    Multitasking.... who cares... not really needed
    Duo Core processor.... behind the times
    Quad Core Processor.... How come they used older version

My favorite.... Apple and Android already have it......

Short list and many more I could have added.... each feature can be used against RIM and will be....

Where people get the idea Apple is forthcoming with specs is beyond me.... Any Rumor you read is something made up by someone..... If RIM is really intersted in good PR... do like Apple... when BB10 phone is close to being ready.... have a drunken engineer leave a locked prototype and watch the PR you get

I don't think they should release detailed specs but they need to drum up some excitement and anticipation.

And if they do release a phone with these specs the media is gonna say the same thing anyway.

RIM needs an image makeover, at least in the US. Its seen as boring, and ultimately dead. They can't drum up excitement for a new OS no one (outside of current users and enthusiasts) cares about overnight.

Last edited by shemaree09; 06-12-12 at 01:12 PM.
    06-12-12 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD