When I saw article on Gsmarena about best html5 mobile browsers, I again started thinking of how to promote bb10 OS since general consensus here is that it is super OS.
    Anyway, BlackBerry is in hard situation, bb10 devices have poor sales, there is shortage of money for marketing, and media are trashing or ignoring BlackBerry. So one of the ways of promoting os is to go straight to consumer. Skip media, skip sellers, show buyer / consumer what will he get if he acquires bb10 device.
    In my opinion, one of solutions would be creating semi usable ROM for android devices for dual booting and releasing it to xda and similar sites, where it can be downloaded freely. Maybe even full OS but with limited options like only one mail account in hub, only one tab in browser etc.
    I am quite sure that there are a lot of people who like to experiment, and this way they get straight to the business with trying on their own phones.
    Opinions?

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 04:59 AM
    I think the media isn't ignoring BlackBerry. Just type in BlackBerry windermere on Google, you'll get a lot of results

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 07:41 AM
    I think the media isn't ignoring BlackBerry. Just type in BlackBerry windermere on Google, you'll get a lot of results

Posted via CB10
    You can do that for anyone's devices. Who is buying BB's products though. People don't care and that's the truth....these new devices may not change that either

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 12:48 PM
    In my opinion, one of solutions would be creating semi usable ROM for android devices for dual booting and releasing it to xda and similar sites, where it can be downloaded freely. Maybe even full OS but with limited options like only one mail account in hub, only one tab in browser etc.
    How is BB going to make the money back that it would take to hire additional developers to make builds of BB10 that work on other phones, much less make a profit? It's not like their existing employees are sitting around with nothing to do, and it's not like BB is a charity, and neither are they in a position to give stuff away right now.

Then, which phones is this going to work on? A separate build has to be made for each individual sub-model of phone (for example, there are about a dozen Galaxy S4 models), because they all have different hardware. And where is BB going to get the QNX-compatible drivers for all of those chipsets and components, when most of those components don't have QNX drivers? Even with Android, many older phones couldn't be updated due to lack of updated Linux/Android drivers for the hardware (most drivers for smartphones aren't open-source).

Just to support Nexus 4 & 5 phones, you'd probably need a dozen employees and 3-6 months of work to get this done. Average compensation for those employees, with salary & benefits? About $150,000 each a year. Assuming a dozen devs and engineers could get this done in 3 months, the labor costs alone would be $450,000, to support just those two phones. Don't think there wouldn't be other costs as well. As you can see, this adds up VERY quickly, and again, BB is in no position to be doing ANY work that isn't generating revenue.
    06-07-14 05:01 PM
    You can do that for anyone's devices. Who is buying BB's products though. People don't care and that's the truth....these new devices may not change that either

Posted via CB10
    I meant results from very much known and respected media sources, blogs and newspapers. The overall commentary on the leaked photos of the windermere were positive, so I'm hoping that the message gets through.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 06:02 PM