I'm beginning to really ponder in depth the depth of reach BB10 founded on QNX will potentially have outside the consumer/enterprise HH and tablet space.

As we have become aware with QNX is its very adaptable and extensive usage in broad deployment across the computing universe. Relative to all OS's QNX neutrino is just that an OS. However its standout unique qualities would be the real time and micro kernel nature etc. We have all become aware of the diverse usage and very impressive pedigree of prestigious implementation. Certification that for what I am aware of is second to none. Certification and OS architecture that allows QNX neutrino to have AUTONOMY in all markets.

Windows,Android, iOS,OSX etc for that matter can't even boast autonomy in all markets as far as usage of their premier OS's even outside of the mobile space. This is just the reality of where they are limited to in terms of whole market reach.

Up until this year. QNX was missing one key ingredient. A native GUI. I'm not going to delve into the value proposition of this. However what I am curious to know is how are the SDK'S evolving to allow a very diverse platform to market to using QNX's autonomy in the global market.

There are certain little aspects of the SDK'S that go under the radar. Such as devs being able to develop API extensions, or potentialy RIM being able to write custom API's for special use cases such as networking API's for distributed systems etc.

To what degree are the SDK'S specifically HTML5 (webworks) and the Native SDK's providing clues and evidence to an expandable and customized nature dependent on segments of the market. There are certain inherent core characteristics of the SDK's/NDK that will maintain continuity outside of certain areas such as superphones, tablets etc.

BB10 "BlackBerry" devs currently have their versions of the SDK'S. There are rumors of QNX Car having a SDK released to Automotive OEM's. With this in mind will a QNX Car devs with there SDK's have access to "BlackBerry" SDK API's? I believe the answer is most definitely yes. The invocation framework will play a huge role in having access to API's outside of there local areas. The invocation framework is just mind boggling when we see just how diverse the potential is.

What API's will we see for the medical industry? Military etc. We all know that BB10 is being developed as a "mobile computing platform". The potential for a platform that holds Autonomy in the market as a whole is awe inspiring.

Then there is the FULL OPEN SOURCE nature of development. What a foundation. Mike L was truly utilizing his visionary capacity when putting the pieces together for the new platform. QNX now has a GUI. This is what I feel will create a new paradigm to its already impressive usage.

There is just so much potential its astounding. Use your imagination or foresight to expand on what you feel the "mobile platform" will become or where it will expand to.

What do devs see in the SDK'S that really ignite such a spark that is just seen as pure excitement. Something special is happening and we need to start unraveling this mystery. I'm not speaking of devs that expect a turn key experience that they have their hands held through. I'm curious to know what devs who see the true potential are so excited for and beyond.

What's your take? For anyone strictly interested in only their "BlackBerry" device. This post may have little to no interest or value...that's ok. The potential of the platform is for the most part is hard to phatom.

Give some input folks
    10-10-12 09:24 PM
    It's probably going to take at least the rest of this evening to get trough the first paragraph to delve into the depth of the.......................
    10-10-12 11:25 PM
    I'm sorry, I just can't read this.
    I'm guessing you're implying that RIM somehow phase out QNX and replace with BB10. This would be a major mistake on RIM's part and not something they're likely to do at this point. QNX's current implementations are almost all in integrated systems. Integrated systems don't have large amounts of RAM, storage or CPU power. This topic has been discussed TO DEATH here. Search around and you'll see.
    10-10-12 11:41 PM
    Gear down big rig! . Where did you get that from? I was implying now having a GUI to market along with. No phasing out of anything my good man.
    10-11-12 04:53 AM
    Gear down big rig! . Where did you get that from? I was implying now having a GUI to market along with. No phasing out of anything my good man.
    Understood. Your post was very hard to read. My point still stands though. QNX has always had usable UIs that were able to run on the hardware in the integrated systems. Most manufacturers choose to develop custom UIs for QNX anyway.
    10-11-12 06:43 AM
    QNX now has a GUI.
    This is all you need to know. QNX doesn't need to be limited to a particular GUI.
    10-11-12 10:23 AM
    Perhaps I can take this discussion in a different direction....Is RIM doing anything with QNX that will allow the combined entity (RIM-QNX) to deliver new, profitable services (besides phones and tablets)? I understand QNX is great and in cars and nuclear power stations...but what value will RIM add and will that translate into higher profits?

I hear Thorsten talk about the 'potential of QNX' and worry that: 1) his vision is 5 - 10 years out and RIM will run of time; 2) RIM may want to take QNX in a direction that QNX's customers (autos) do not want to go.
    howarmat likes this.
    10-11-12 07:49 PM
    I've been following a bit of what mkw has been saying about bb10 over the last few months, and I will try to add some clarity to what I believe he's getting at. One thing bb10 could potentially offer through transparent distributed multi-processing (tdmp) is not only a gui for devices, but also an interface that links with embedded systems right to the core. But tdmp would mean your mobile device would not just interface with other qnx systems, but while linked the devices would act as one in the same, and bb10 provides a rich and robust gui for such a synergized mobile computing solution.

that sound right mkw?
    anon(4018671) and missing_K-W like this.
    10-11-12 08:19 PM
    Key verticals. Go places the competition is not. Think home automations, smart appliances. secure connections between embedded devices and cell phones.
    QNXs versatility is expands beyond QNX Auto OEMs like it for it's security, stability and it's excellent cross platform support for Android, iOS and it has the ability to be built up to support the FUTURE of mobile computing, RIM, and break the monolithic/hybrid kernal world in which we live.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    gjohnsto likes this.
    10-11-12 08:41 PM
    I've been following a bit of what mkw has been saying about bb10 over the last few months, and I will try to add some clarity to what I believe he's getting at. One thing bb10 could potentially offer through transparent distributed multi-processing (tdmp) is not only a gui for devices, but also an interface that links with embedded systems right to the core. But tdmp would mean your mobile device would not just interface with other qnx systems, but while linked the devices would act as one in the same, and bb10 provides a rich and robust gui for such a synergized mobile computing solution.

that sound right mkw?
    That would be correct....however thats just one facet of the platform and thanks for not thinking inside the box. RIM can adapt and customize SDK's based on market segments including adaptations of the BB10 Native GUI. That would be very simple in reality. QNX Car platform will be providing an SDK for automotive OEM's. I feel strongly that BB10's HTML5 SDK's will be used at the core of there development. All RIM has to do is add or deduct API's according to market segments such as Automotive intrument clusters, infotainment, medical devices etc.

The SDK's we have for BB10 will be deployed to different clientele well beyond the consumer/enterprise space. QNX now has a premier GUI developed natively through RIM. QNX Car platform will most likely receive an SDK that is derived from BB10.

One doesn't have to look too closely to see that the current Native BB10 SDK's are founded with adaptability in mind geared towards inexhaustible deployments.

The SDK's are being developed with an extremely open ended nature.

I'm curious to know when RIM/QNX will have their QNX platform SDK made available. This will provide many clues.
    10-11-12 10:09 PM
    Perhaps I can take this discussion in a different direction....Is RIM doing anything with QNX that will allow the combined entity (RIM-QNX) to deliver new, profitable services (besides phones and tablets)? I understand QNX is great and in cars and nuclear power stations...but what value will RIM add and will that translate into higher profits?

I hear Thorsten talk about the 'potential of QNX' and worry that: 1) his vision is 5 - 10 years out and RIM will run of time; 2) RIM may want to take QNX in a direction that QNX's customers (autos) do not want to go.
    They most certainly are . However other then Thorsten mentioning that the platform would go well beyond the consumer mobile/enterprise space, we haven't heard much. We are left working with clues. The invocation framework, SDK's(many.....not all obviously ), NDK's at the core are very expandable and adaptable left with an extremely open ended nature. This alone speaks volumes.

You have a valid point in QNX clientele disapproving of the direction RIM may take QNX neutrino, however inorder for RIM to leverage an advantage over the competition. QNX neutrino needs to maintain its core architecture evolution continuity inorder to do so. IMHO ofcourse
    10-11-12 10:21 PM

From what I heard, I know the QNX team is working on QNX 8. Every 10 years they have come out with a new version. The last one was in 1999/2000 with QNX 6. Also I keep Thorsten Heins mentioning "mobile computing".

So if you put those together, I think that's what they're working on.
    10-12-12 12:41 PM

that sound right mkw?
    Thats how I see things. Devices can already do similar things but because QNX can become so small and use so few resources it can be put onto cheaper components and perhaps gain wide adoption.
    10-12-12 07:37 PM
    Find these posts quite informative...thank you all
    10-12-12 08:50 PM