Didn't read what site this was from originally, but as soon as I saw "New Features" as one of the headings, I instantly thought: Apple fan site. Looks like I was right, haha.

Only Apple could quantify things in "new features" and get away with it.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-16-12 07:50 PM
    The high sales numbers are mostly due to name recognition of Apple and the simple OS. Neither of those have anything to do with the OS being dumb. The truth is the truth. I couldn't care less how much money Apple has, I have my own money. When the iphone was launched in '07, I worked at AT&T as a device tester and the fact is, it was underpowered and garbage then, people still overpaid for it because it was from Apple. That still holds true today.

Apple has built a brand, not necessarily a steller product. I've used it and that's my opinion. And before you start with the "sales say otherwise" crap, the toyota corolla sales well, does that make it steller? The general public will buy whatever the TV tells them to. The dumbed down, high marked up, iphone is perfect for the simple minded, easily lead, masses. That's where the sheep comments come from. There's nothing uneducated about that at all, it's how many see apple users they interact with daily. I know I do. So, as many have said, sales don't equal the best, it just equals that, sales...

Cheers!
    You people spew rubbish like this and then go on a complaining spree about Apple and Android users on the Crackberry boards.
    You say the iPhone was 'underpowered and garbage' at launch. Show me any Blackberry or Symbian phone that had CPU or GPU specs anywhere near what the iPhone launched with. Certainly not the Blackberry 8800 series. Certainly none of the Symbian phones (except for the almighty N95) and certainly none of the Windows Mobile or Palm phones out there.

You can babble on and on about 'sheep' and 'dumb' consumers, but on the strength of iOS and the iPhone, Apple is now perhaps the most valuable company in the world. And RIM would kill to get their sales figures.
    07-17-12 06:53 AM
    oops i just looked it up i was always under the impression it was founded by two canadians
    GTiLeo,

No worries on the gaff, just remember that Schmidt has been spotted rockin a BB many times
    07-17-12 07:31 AM
    stop the canada vs usa crap now otherwise you can all take a week to ponder it alone.

Dont worry man, we gave up development of the Maple Syrup Bomb as part of the strategic arms reduction treaty. You are safe!
    07-17-12 07:33 AM
    You people spew rubbish like this and then go on a complaining spree about Apple and Android users on the Crackberry boards.
    You say the iPhone was 'underpowered and garbage' at launch. Show me any Blackberry or Symbian phone that had CPU or GPU specs anywhere near what the iPhone launched with. Certainly not the Blackberry 8800 series. Certainly none of the Symbian phones (except for the almighty N95) and certainly none of the Windows Mobile or Palm phones out there.

You can babble on and on about 'sheep' and 'dumb' consumers, but on the strength of iOS and the iPhone, Apple is now perhaps the most valuable company in the world. And RIM would kill to get their sales figures.
    The phone launched with NO copy & paste, NO camera flash, NO MMS, & NO apps. In 2007, that was a feature phone at best. And it was how much on a 2yr contarct with AT&T? Come on, of course it was underpowered, but it was from Apple, that's all it had to be. You bring up Apple and their money again, that means nothing to me. It just shows how in a bad economy and company can capitalize on the weak minded with flashy advertising and brand recognition. That sickens me. Not something to cheer Apple on for in my opinion.

In the news recently, there is a huge uproar about the USA Olympic uniforms made by Ralph Lauren being made in China and how as Americans, we should be ashamed for this happening. But somehow Apple (American Company) is applauded for doing the samething and being the most valuable company in the world? Just sad that people are so blind and biased...
    07-17-12 07:59 AM
    Love how the Windows Phone 8 has a n/a for Ali's when its sharing all the Api's with windows 8. As well wasn't there a few new api's announced at google I/o for jelly bean.

That and WP8 and BB10 have t had their official unvielings yet.

Seems real biased.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-17-12 08:46 AM
    And before you start with the "sales say otherwise" crap, the toyota corolla sales well, does that make it steller?
    Yes, actually it does. It proves that in that specific category of car, people generally consider the Corolla to be a stellar value.

Not a lot of people that have the money to buy BMWs get Corollas. Likewise, Richard Branson could look at a BMW (compared to his mode of travel) and sneer at it. Apples to oranges.

I know it is trendy to refer to people as stupid for having the temerity to pick another device platform, but it is usually a bad idea to make blanket statements about people based on stuff they purchase with their own money.

Just a thought.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-17-12 09:19 AM
    The phone launched with NO copy & paste, NO camera flash, NO MMS, & NO apps. In 2007, that was a feature phone at best. And it was how much on a 2yr contarct with AT&T? Come on, of course it was underpowered, but it was from Apple, that's all it had to be. You bring up Apple and their money again, that means nothing to me. It just shows how in a bad economy and company can capitalize on the weak minded with flashy advertising and brand recognition. That sickens me. Not something to cheer Apple on for in my opinion.

In the news recently, there is a huge uproar about the USA Olympic uniforms made by Ralph Lauren being made in China and how as Americans, we should be ashamed for this happening. But somehow Apple (American Company) is applauded for doing the samething and being the most valuable company in the world? Just sad that people are so blind and biased...
    Since when did copy + paste, Camera flash and MMS become the definition of 'Smartphone'?
    Sadly, even the 2007 iPhone 2G provided a richer browsing experience than Blackberry devices up until RIM went WebKit nearly 3 years later. Most people will take a great browser over MMS and Camera flash anyday...as shown by excellent iPhone sales figures.

The major flaw with your 'weak minded' argument is the sheer number of people who continue to buy and use iPhones. Surely not everyone of those hundreds of millions with iOS devices must be 'weak minded' and 'sheep like'. Certainly not folks like Woz, C0mex etc...

Finally, Apple's responsibility to their shareholders is to keep the company as profitable as possible. Manufacturing in regions with cheaper labour is a surefire way of maximizing gain. Apple still employs thousands of American citizens.

PS: The Playbook is manufactured in Taiwan. When exactly are you going to picket and condemn RIM? At least the iPhones and iPads are designed in America and merely handed over to Foxconn to build. RIM OUTSOURCED the Playbook design to the taiwanese Company Quanta (reason why Quanta could use similar design for the Kindle Fire). So tell me again which one is worse!
    07-17-12 09:36 AM
    If you can find an article applauding Apple for using FoxCon, I'd love to read it.
    07-17-12 09:43 AM
    i think its too early to compare them when only 1 is on the market officially
    This is the truth, not only is one of them out yet, but it has yet to even take over its predecessor, whom is blah blah blah.. the point is, Jelly Bean is technically out, but Ice Cream Sammich just came out, and that is only used by 10% of phones, so its kinda silly to compare.

when BB10 comes out, all new phones will have it, iOS6 is basically just like iOS5.

The real question is, Rim has finally streamlined things, will they be respected by the ignorant masses or still brushed off because they arrived to the party late?
    shaleem and ajst222 like this.
    07-17-12 10:39 AM
    i think its too early to compare them when only 1 is on the market officially
    I agree. No one knows yet
    07-17-12 12:07 PM
    What exactly qualifies as a new feature anyway? It's a bit subjective. I would think that "no more hourglassing" would be a new feature of BBX. Do you count that even though other OS didn't have that problem to begin with?

Anyway, "features" are subjective. A retina display, although nice, is probably useless to anyone over forty. Battery life is misleading, since different uses expend differing amount of energy on different OSs.

The most important feature is availability anyway. Since BBX won't be available on a phone for six or seven months, and it isn't even finished, I agree that any comparison lacks journalistic integrity.
    07-18-12 06:50 AM
    Since when did copy + paste, Camera flash and MMS become the definition of 'Smartphone'?
    Sadly, even the 2007 iPhone 2G provided a richer browsing experience than Blackberry devices up until RIM went WebKit nearly 3 years later. Most people will take a great browser over MMS and Camera flash anyday...as shown by excellent iPhone sales figures.

The major flaw with your 'weak minded' argument is the sheer number of people who continue to buy and use iPhones. Surely not everyone of those hundreds of millions with iOS devices must be 'weak minded' and 'sheep like'. Certainly not folks like Woz, C0mex etc...

Finally, Apple's responsibility to their shareholders is to keep the company as profitable as possible. Manufacturing in regions with cheaper labour is a surefire way of maximizing gain. Apple still employs thousands of American citizens.

PS: The Playbook is manufactured in Taiwan. When exactly are you going to picket and condemn RIM? At least the iPhones and iPads are designed in America and merely handed over to Foxconn to build. RIM OUTSOURCED the Playbook design to the taiwanese Company Quanta (reason why Quanta could use similar design for the Kindle Fire). So tell me again which one is worse!
    Hey Buddy, we can just agree to disagree. I do believe that a smartphone should have more features than a dumb (flip) phone. So, yes when other smartphones on the market at the time had these features, the iphone should have had them as well. That rich bowser experience was over EDGE and slow. You don't have to agree, but people bought it because it had an Apple logo on it. You say most people, but there are still more dumb phones sold world-wide than smartphones, so I guess your argument there is flawed, huh...

To me, the large numbers prove that they are weak mined. Followers tend to do just that, follow. They follow the crowd instead if making their own decisions. It's easier for them that way. Apple has made a killing off of this theory. You can't deny that they love to control over every aspect of iOS. People don't have to think, Apple thinks for them, lol.

RIM is a Canadian company, therefore not relevant to my Olympic comments. I merely stated how one sided we as Americans are sometimes when it comes to outsourcing. It has been called a disgrace that USA olympians would wear Ralph Lauren apperal made it China, but Apple sales figures sore as they do the same. I'm sure Ralph Lauren employs thousands of Americans here in the states as well. He's still being blasted for manufacturing in China. Just an observation, that's all. Honestly, to me, I couldn't care less where anything is made. I was just pointing out how two companies manufacture in the same place, one is the most valuable company in the world, one is panned in the media and congress for manufacturing there. Like I said, just an observation...
    07-18-12 08:04 AM
    Over at iMore there is an article on new iOS 6 and the OS' evolution over the years. Towards the end of the blog, there is a comparison of existing OSes:

Click to view quoted image

How iOS 6's flagship features compare to past versions, and to Android 4.1, BlackBerry 10, and Windows Phone 8 | iMore.com

I thought putting BBOS 10 in the comparison mix as unfair as the OS is not out yet. Also RIM has not released a full update of features and no release date. Both WP8 and Android 4.1 features have been known for weeks now.

What do you think?

Fluff piece for iOS akin to the kinds of resumes I see when substance is lacking....as evidenced by the frequent use of the word "enhancement."
    Additionally some of the "enhancements" are individually listed such as Facebook integration which has been part of BB for a while.
    07-18-12 08:14 AM
    <gentle provocation>
    BB10 does not compare to any OS: It's not an OS, it's a platform.
    </gentle provocation>

Add a line in the chart with a "Cross device integration", then I could start dropping an eye on it
    07-18-12 08:22 AM

To me, the large numbers prove that they are weak mined. Followers tend to do just that, follow. They follow the crowd instead if making their own decisions. It's easier for them that way.
    The oft-quoted 75 million is not a small number. Are you weak minded? Are you a follower?

LOL.
    07-18-12 10:38 AM
    The oft-quoted 75 million is not a small number. Are you weak minded? Are you a follower?

LOL.
    To take it further, let's assume that BB10 makes people go ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!! and sales soar. Will that make those purchasers sheep?
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    07-18-12 10:56 AM
    To take it further, let's assume that BB10 makes people go ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!! and sales soar. Will that make those purchasers sheep?
    Of course not. It will be the victory of the intelligent consumers. Everyone knows that sheep and weak-minded individuals didn't exist till 2008, when RIM's market share began to erode.

Everyone knows that NOBODY ever bought a BB back then because it was a status symbol.
    07-18-12 11:01 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD