Has anyone used/switched to the lumia 920? I'm thinking of giving that a shot when my contract is up
    but I'm a long time BB user and abuser and would like to know what you think about it compared to the BB.
    What do you like about it and what dont you like about it?

Thanks
    11-24-12 07:07 PM
    I'm a long time Blackberry user myself also. I'd wait for BB10 to be released then take a look at both.
    11-24-12 07:28 PM
    Lumia 920 is a great device so far It's very popular And has been selling like hot cakes. Rogers is sold out anyways where I checked.

My friend got one and she loves it, she had a cur've 9300 so it was a major upgrade for her.

She loves the camera technology, Nokia ks the first phone to introduce a floating lense that reduces jitter and increases stability.

It has some decent apps and I think they raw getting almost everything android has.
    11-24-12 07:31 PM
    I have both! Running the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B and the Lumia 920 right now.

I could get into writing a novel on it right here... don't have the time at the moment now. There are a lot of nice things in Windows Phone 8. Also a lot of weird things. In pushing the Metro UI aesthetics everywhere, I really feel like there are some compromises made in the user experience when it comes to efficiency of use. Often feel like the OS is working against me instead of for me. Like on the Lumia 920 you have this big display, but when you go into your emails the font is so big you only see four emails (and can't even change the font size). Not very friendly for power users. And notifications are pretty much lacking altogether on the OS. Also find there's a lot of times when you get lost within apps. Lumia 920 as a phone is very feature packed, but it really is a brick of a phone. I'm on my second one now too... first one I got from Rogers was a dud. Anyways, will write more on this all later.

As for Rogers selling out, I'm not so sure it's because of crazy demand. Have done a lot of calls to Rogers dealers across the country... it more so seems to me that most dealers are bringing very few phones in still. Nobody wants to order too many until they see the demand is there. So a lot or being sold on preorder or there are none or just a few in stock. Been monitoring this fairly closely. That said, there's definitely a solid "core" of people who have been waiting for it, so it's sold pretty well up front... will be interesting to see if that goes beyond the core to more of a mainstream consumer base or not.

BlackBerry 10 is shaping up to be an awesome experience. Very, very, very fast to use all around. Keeps the priority on communication throughout the experience. Well, and you know all the other things I'm looking forward to there as well.

If you have the patience, I'd definitely wait and compare both before you sign a contract for a couple years. BB10 isn't that far off now. Definitely encourage you to play with Lumia 920 though too. Knowledge is power.

Comparing the two is a bit of a personality thing too... BB10 has that power communicator get stuff done attitude about it. Still approachable though. Metro UI is a bit more layed back. Hmm... will need to come up with some good analogies on that for review time.
    11-24-12 08:58 PM
    Windows phone is a nice looking, decent operating system. On the Nokia phones, Nokia Drive and CityLens are great.

On the whole, though, I'm predicting that BB10 will be a much better experience.

I'm currently on Windows Phone 7.5 - the notifications is an issue, I think they're working on it for WP8 though. The multitasking is okay, not true multitasking and not being able to actually close something is a pain. Even though you don't necessarily have to, I find myself spamming the back button a lot.
    11-24-12 09:02 PM
    I have both! Running the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B and the Lumia 920 right now.

I could get into writing a novel on it right here... don't have the time at the moment now. There are a lot of nice things in Windows Phone 8. Also a lot of weird things. In pushing the Metro UI aesthetics everywhere, I really feel like there are some compromises made in the user experience when it comes to efficiency of use. Often feel like the OS is working against me instead of for me. Like on the Lumia 920 you have this big display, but when you go into your emails the font is so big you only see four emails (and can't even change the font size). Not very friendly for power users. And notifications are pretty much lacking altogether on the OS. Also find there's a lot of times when you get lost within apps. Lumia 920 as a phone is very feature packed, but it really is a brick of a phone. I'm on my second one now too... first one I got from Rogers was a dud. Anyways, will write more on this all later.

As for Rogers selling out, I'm not so sure it's because of crazy demand. Have done a lot of calls to Rogers dealers across the country... it more so seems to me that most dealers are bringing very few phones in still. Nobody wants to order too many until they see the demand is there. So a lot or being sold on preorder or there are none or just a few in stock. Been monitoring this fairly closely. That said, there's definitely a solid "core" of people who have been waiting for it, so it's sold pretty well up front... will be interesting to see if that goes beyond the core to more of a mainstream consumer base or not.

BlackBerry 10 is shaping up to be an awesome experience. Very, very, very fast to use all around. Keeps the priority on communication throughout the experience. Well, and you know all the other things I'm looking forward to there as well.

If you have the patience, I'd definitely wait and compare both before you sign a contract for a couple years. BB10 isn't that far off now. Definitely encourage you to play with Lumia 920 though too. Knowledge is power.

Comparing the two is a bit of a personality thing too... BB10 has that power communicator get stuff done attitude about it. Still approachable though. Metro UI is a bit more layed back. Hmm... will need to come up with some good analogies on that for review time.
    I'm not sure either why rogers is sold out, I had a friend he was #519 on a rogers wait list on Nov 1st. He kept calling all over and everyone told him they were launching Nov 12th. And he said he wasn't able to get one and is still waiting. The girl friend was #115 and had knee shipped to a local store.

I read somewhere that Nokia was focusing on Europe first, which explains the north American supply.

Great review!
    11-24-12 09:11 PM
    I read somewhere that Nokia was focusing on Europe first, which explains the north American supply.
    Nope, Lumia 920 is all sold out in countries like Germany, UK, and Finland.

The country with most 920s appear to be the US, which mostly just has black and white ones in stock.
    11-24-12 10:28 PM
    This is all pretty good information. Kevin that is a great little review thanks. I saw a video someplace that showed the person changing the font size
    would that help the email view issue you talked about. What is the problem with the notifications? How does dictation work for email? I will be able to check out BB10
    when it comes out before my contract is up.
    11-24-12 11:19 PM
    Nope, Lumia 920 is all sold out in countries like Germany, UK, and Finland.

The country with most 920s appear to be the US, which mostly just has black and white ones in stock.
    I think there is a extremely high demand for them as they are sold out everywhere including AT&T.
    11-25-12 12:46 AM
    i'm not really feeling the metro Ui, personally i think it looks to cluttered and tries to hard to look cool. i've yet to use one so i don't know how it flows as a mobile platform so i can't compare
    11-25-12 02:40 AM
    Hey Kevin,

It will be great to have a comparison between WP8 (L920 in particular) and BB10!

I am also considering L920 as well. Metro UI looks to me very functional, but not sure how overall will feel the device/OS. On my side "the-little-things" make the experience great, or not so. Have the same concern about BB10, the-little-things, like separate control of hands-free and device volume for example, Profiles etc. etc.
    11-25-12 03:25 AM