On BBOS, I always preferred the serif font. I found it more readable. I wish we had at least that choice in BB10. Fonts are important because reading what's on the screen is important, and the user should have as much control as possible, to get that just right.

I also agree that, while the Hub itself is very advanced, the design makes it look dated. This dated look isn't something BlackBerry can afford, when the entire brand is already seen by many as a relic.

Concerning icons... Various Android launchers support the use of icon packs that users can buy/download. Some launchers allow the user to number and spacing of icons per screen. These things may seem frivolous to some, but I think they accomplish a couple of things. First, they allow users to personalize their devices, which is something that many, many people want to do. Second, it provides a way for creative people to make some money, by designing interesting and attractive icon packs for BB World; and BlackBerry makes money on it as well. Those who are not interested in such things can easily ignore them.

These things -- fonts and changeable icon packs -- wouldn't require any major surgery to the BB10 interface. They're more like a fresh coat of paint. Implementing them shouldn't risk breaking a lot of other things.
    Agreed 101%

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 07:57 AM
    People aren't satisfied.

I look at iProducts and aside from a few colours here or tweeks to icons....nothing has really changed since they came out.

I'm more concerned about marketing plans (or lack thereof) before a redesign of the OS.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    Agreed more marketing, people see my Passport ask questions and always say "i didn't know they still made phones"
    04-06-15 08:43 AM
    I think bb10 interface needs bit of a redesign. To me after 3 years it's getting bland. I don't consider "removing ghastly grey boxes" a redesign.

They should give it to a world class designer and let him go nuts (not too much) ...

Also they need to utilize the reverse hub gesture. Currently there's nothing there

Posted via CB10
    Get an iPhone or Android. But if cosmetics is what you are after, try a Chanel case.
    04-06-15 08:50 AM
    I find all these comments about wanting to make your "blackberry" phone look like another OS/Phone comical. Things can always be improved and enhanced but if you want it to run and look like another phone then why not get that phone!? Having another OS/Phone choice is great for consumers and nothing but a win for us all.
    04-06-15 09:14 AM
    Maybe when BlackBerry 11 OS comes out it'll have a redesign

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 09:18 AM
    A few improvements that I would like to see:

swiping between open apps, I still miss that feature from good old Playbook times.
    flicking frames up to close apps, like on iOS, I think this is a cool & fun feature.
    I also think the calendar needs a major redesign, the current one is confusing and over complicated.
    Swiping between apps is a must! It was very well implemented in PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 09:34 AM
    I agree with the OP to an extent. The idea for a "reverse hub" gesture is brilliant: swipe up from the bottom and to the LEFT to get into...what I don't know. Maybe something like Google Now, or into a user-specified function could be cool - calender or phone would be really helpful for business users I'm sure.

Other than that the things I'd like to see are: 1) landscape support for the app icon and active frame pages 2) Switch the app pages to bottom-align by default instead of top-align (Hello! Our thumbs are down here, not up there...)
    04-06-15 09:55 AM
    I think BlackBerry should get themes back!

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 10:08 AM
    There! I inserted the bolded portion to fix that sentence for you.
    Thank you I genuinely appreciate that correction. I'm ashamed I even insinuated anything

Posted via CB10
    KemKev likes this.
    04-06-15 10:25 AM
    I think BlackBerry should get themes back!

Posted via CB10
    That would be the ultimate love.... but for some reason it probably isn't "businessy" even tho most of their current targets probably have android phones with childish fonts and everything

BlackBerry doesn't look like it wants to move with the times.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 10:27 AM
    Bb10 is meant to be dull cause it's targeted for business users now!! That's the main reason they're getting rid of that fancy unlock swipe! And replacing it with a simple line

Posted via CB10
    That's a **** poor way of calling business users tasteless then... I'd say those users are currently doing fine with the non dull options as well

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 10:28 AM
    It doesn't really make sense what you are saying. I've been on the platform since 10.1 and the OS and UI has been getting better and better. There are a couple of gripes that people can make about things that perhaps didn't need changing (Calendar UI, for instance) but all in all, this OS has come a long ways and is still getting better with each update. Sure, there have been bugs along the way (I almost cried when my Passport 'flickered' the first time after waiting so long for the official release of 10.3.1) but they have been, and are continuing to be, worked out.
    I'm not too sure what direction you are heading in, or what direction you'd rather BlackBerry be headed, but I'm pretty happy with the forward motion that has been made so far and it doesn't seem to be veering off course. If you mean that BlackBerry isn't Android enough for you, then that's a whole different thing.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Let's start with.. I can't even update my z10 to a newer device?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 10:30 AM
    On BBOS, I always preferred the serif font. I found it more readable. I wish we had at least that choice in BB10. Fonts are important because reading what's on the screen is important, and the user should have as much control as possible, to get that just right.

I also agree that, while the Hub itself is very advanced, the design makes it look dated. This dated look isn't something BlackBerry can afford, when the entire brand is already seen by many as a relic.

Concerning icons... Various Android launchers support the use of icon packs that users can buy/download. Some launchers allow the user to number and spacing of icons per screen. These things may seem frivolous to some, but I think they accomplish a couple of things. First, they allow users to personalize their devices, which is something that many, many people want to do. Second, it provides a way for creative people to make some money, by designing interesting and attractive icon packs for BB World; and BlackBerry makes money on it as well. Those who are not interested in such things can easily ignore them.

These things -- fonts and changeable icon packs -- wouldn't require any major surgery to the BB10 interface. They're more like a fresh coat of paint. Implementing them shouldn't risk breaking a lot of other things.
    Couldn't have said it better. Look at this and tell me this isn't boring
    I mean even seriously

BB10 Interface needs an update!-img_20150406_103139_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 10:32 AM
    This:
    There are certain things I miss from Playbook OS that should have come over to BB10,
    and..
    This:
    swiping between open apps, I still miss that feature from good old Playbook times.
    flicking frames up to close apps, like on iOS, I think this is a cool & fun feature.
    and...
    This:
    I really did love the Playbook's flick to close gesture for apps. That is a feature I would love to have back.
    04-06-15 10:43 AM
    10.3 is great, works for me, the former version is pretty ugly
    04-06-15 10:45 AM
    Couldn't have said it better. Look at this and tell me this isn't boring
    I mean even seriously

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150406_103139_edit.png 
Views:	651 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	345973

Posted via CB10
    Agreed! The text message look is so ugly. They should make it more like the ios 7/8 one. With rounded text message bubbles and different colors (or just one color but make it bright and pleasant to look at). And ffs, please get rid of that light blue background color. It's so ugly

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 10:47 AM
    The thing I like least about BB10 is how it handles notifications. If you are having wifi issues the message is just a simple text box justified left. Like someone just wrote it in word. Can I get a little attention to design and detail so it doesn't look like Notepad?
    04-06-15 10:57 AM
    Agreed! The text message look is so ugly. They should make it more like the ios 7/8 one. With rounded text message bubbles and different colors (or just one color but make it bright and pleasant to look at). And ffs, please get rid of that light blue background color. It's so ugly

Posted via CB10
    I can live with the way it looks, but seriously that background color irritates me - not only in text messages, but BBM as well.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 11:04 AM
    I can live with the way it looks, but seriously that background color irritates me - not only in text messages, but BBM as well.

Posted via CB10
    Same here. That's part of what I'm saying. Aesthetics is part of marketing

Posted via CB10
    Madhuchandran likes this.
    04-06-15 11:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    I can't. So for now I use dark theme

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 11:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's what I use as well, though I hope some time in the near future they can change the way things look or at least give the users the option to customize things to their liking (the shape of text bubbles back in BBOS, fonts, etc.)

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 11:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    I've been using the dark theme for so long that I forgot what the light theme looks like.

I generally don't care much about aesthetics, but I would like more font size/style choices when it comes to the hub and messaging.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 11:58 AM
    That's a **** poor way of calling business users tasteless then... I'd say those users are currently doing fine with the non dull options as well

Posted via CB10
    Well blackberry doesn't seem to agree with you and that's why they're getting rid of it!

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 12:21 PM
    Let's start with.. I can't even update my z10 to a newer device?

Posted via CB10
    So in the end you joined the dark side
    04-06-15 02:16 PM
    To me, the BB10 interface is basically a big app drawer. I wish we had ad many options as Android.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 04:50 PM
112 12345