Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BB_Bmore
  • 1 Post By brmiller1976
  • 1 Post By Concession
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    If ur sexy>>>pm me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 -Google Services surprises???

Since RIM has Android source code deployed in BB10. What's the likelihood that RIM will provide Google services through in house development?

I ponder at times how having Android baked in could allow for easier development on Googles part.

I believe there may be more to the Android runtime in the future. Just unaware at present
    "I gotta Z10......I gotta Z10....Hey...Hey...Hey....Hey"........
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,862 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

There are big plans for the android player indeed. I do know that they are chasing jelly bean code at the moment.
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    TroubleTrouble likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    If ur sexy>>>pm me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by BB-Bmore View Post
    There are big plans for the android player indeed. I do know that they are chasing jelly bean code at the moment.
    I see a way of both Google and RIM being able to monetize off of the BB10 Android runtime.

Last year QNX had job posting for engineers in regards to the Android runtime. It clearly stated in the job postings that RIM wanted to develop the best Android runtime in the market.
    "I gotta Z10......I gotta Z10....Hey...Hey...Hey....Hey"........
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

I'd rather see Google products on BB10 going the native route.

The Android player is here to fill the void, but hopefully BB10's success will have Android devs build natively for BB10.
    XoXoXo
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: BB10 -Google Services surprises???

It can spell doom for a platform though. One of the reasons OS2 failed was because it ran windows 3 software so well. Developers no longer bothered writing OS2 native apps since there was no need.. but these lacked any native features that made OS2 stand out.
    CrackBerry User

I LOVE the idea of having a great Android Run Time...if RIM can offer a great Android experience and all the other benefits (Balance, Peek & Flow), they will take a slice out of Android's large market share...no doubt about that. Great way to build momentum.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

People looking for Android experience should get an android...Android in BB10 should not be a key feature.
    XoXoXo
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default BB10 -Google Services surprises???

Quote Originally Posted by AVPTI View Post
    People looking for Android experience should get an android...Android in BB10 should not be a key feature.
    i have long openly displayed my absolute dislike for the android player and the apk-bars and have come to a conclusion: if the android player is still on bb10 by end feb, i will be going for android/wp8. i still shudder at the thought of the native or android "surprise" whenever an app is downloaded.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts

I wouldn't count on Google opening up to non-Android platforms. Right now, they're trying to destroy WP8, depreciate iOS, and push their userbase onto Android. Growth of a secure, spyware-free platform like BB10 would not be in Google's best interests, since they make their money from scraping and reselling user data to advertisers.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by sexybabe88 View Post
    i have long openly displayed my absolute dislike for the android player and the apk-bars and have come to a conclusion: if the android player is still on bb10 by end feb, i will be going for android/wp8. i still shudder at the thought of the native or android "surprise" whenever an app is downloaded.
    Bye then, since they clearly aren't going to be removing a feature from the launch devices less than a month after they ship.

It does boggle the mind why we get people coming on here with these random ultimatums so often, if one was being cynical it might be that they have already decided something and feel the need to badmouth bb10 because they have chosen something else instead.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BB-Bmore View Post
    PB

Android 4.x would make android apps on BB10 much better. Holo apps are fairly similar to native BB10 apps design wise, unlike gingerbread apps which look completely different. They could benefit from hardware acceleration and extra APIs as well.

I'm not too worried about google services. Worst case scenario is we have to sideload the android version of google maps and that's only if BB Maps isn't very good.
    Thanked by:
    BB_Bmore (01-03-2013) 
    BB_Bmore likes this.