LMFAO! Who are the people liking these ludicrous articles?!

Funny how ridiculous articles anti-Blackberry are often called out for being 'poorly researched' and yet a ridiculous article pro-BB is hailed as an excellent bit of writing.
    Android devices with better GPU power than the Adreno 225 in the Z10 have had Gamepad support for ages now, yet nothing 'disrupted' console gaming. A cursory look at Xda-developers will give you a succinct guide on how to pair a standard PS3 Dual Shock 3 controller to very many Android phones and tablet...tens of thousands are doing this....this hasn't put a dent in console gaming.

This is hilarious...
    02-23-13 12:05 PM
    LMFAO! Who are the people liking these ludicrous articles?!

Funny how ridiculous articles anti-Blackberry are often called out for being 'poorly researched' and yet a ridiculous article pro-BB is hailed as an excellent bit of writing.
    Android devices with better GPU power than the Adreno 225 in the Z10 have had Gamepad support for ages now, yet nothing 'disrupted' console gaming. A cursory look at Xda-developers will give you a succinct guide on how to pair a standard PS3 Dual Shock 3 controller to very many Android phones and tablet...tens of thousands are doing this....this hasn't put a dent in console gaming.

This is hilarious...
    I'll admit, when the author said that he didn't think that Android 4.2 supported gamepads, I kinda questioned what research he did before writing the article.

A simple Google search would have told him about 4.2 supporting gamepads.
    02-23-13 01:14 PM
    First, I didn't say "it can't happen" or "they can't do it", I said I "can't see it", and I explained why.

You may not understand this, but RIM actually doesn't have that much money in relation to the amount that might need to be spent to enter that space with an impact of the magnitude that article is talking about. Buying their way into that space will.....cost big time. Ask MS (as rubberchicken points out). They really should not spend money this way, they need it to take a shot at bb10 - that's what all the terminations/cost cutting was about .

So I will say "they can't do it" - since that's apparently what you want to hear from me. In the sense that, they could also develop an X spacecraft and start sending people into orbit.....but they "can't" do that either.

They certainly should do their best, while keeping costs to themselves minimal, to offer as much gaming as possible - that's an important feature of smartphones of course. I think that's what they'll do.
    i never said its a possibility right now, if all goes well with BB10 in the long run they can throw whatever amount of money, its not really me thats not understanding i'm putting out scenarios not for right now but possibilities if those were future plans for BlackBerry's, i no where said they will do it or plan on doing it right now, long term goals for a company is not an uncomon thing and implementation takes time which it seems like they are starting by adding game pad capabilities to their current software and they could always develop a consol if they really truly wanted to in the future

don't count anything out the technology industry is a fast paced industry and things can change, so try and keep an open mind and don't close your self to the right now case like everyone claims BB fans do.
    02-23-13 01:39 PM
    @texazzpete.

It hasn't happened yet. Doesnt mean it won't happen. But you can believe whatever unlogical things you want. Dont worry, you can keep your xbox or PS3. No ones going to take it away from you when we are all using are phones as gaming consoles.
    02-24-13 12:42 AM
    Deny, Deny, Deny.

A lot of the same people here saying this will never happen have been the same saying BB would be dead already, or that BB10 would never be release, or whatever other nonsense dead wrong things you can think of. Dont people get tired of being dead wrong?? oh ya, they'll just deny it.

When I get a bb10 device it will be the last gaming console I ever buy (meaning I will never buy any iteration of xbox, ps, or nintendo). I am not alone and the number will only grow with time. Deny it, thats fine and go hug your xbox.
    02-24-13 12:45 AM
    How large a segment does the nintendo Wii cover as far as gaming goes?

How large a segment do ipods and ipads cover for gaming?
    02-24-13 01:42 AM
    This isn't about carrying around a controller... Did you even read the link? With the docking station it will be possible to connect it to your HDTV and use a third party controller instead of your phone.
    Don't be histrionic. The scenario I mentioned, does not preclude a docking stage, or other usage, nor does it suggest I did not read the link. You need to think rationally, and calm down.

Now, having said all of that, one reason I didn't mention the TV situation is, I am not sure why I would want to, on any regular basis, drive my TV with an underpowered phone. I believe the future of mobile gaming, lies in the mobile aspect. Until such time as a phone is a capable replacement for a console or PC, I don't think docking station phone gaming will be a significant portion of the market. I think that in terms of home gaming, the phone as an interface to the console has more immediate potential in the short term.
    02-24-13 02:27 AM
    , but it will certainly be cost effective, baring there are some decent titles released. It is definitely offering more in the way of gaming then iOS or Android. They just need more big name developers......
    Now this is truly absurd.....you've given yourself away after only 8 posts! Incidentally, I assume you mean "IF some decent titles ARE released", "baring (sp) there are some decent titles released" makes no sense at all. (unless you are saying that if decent titles are released it will no longer be cost effective, but then your whole "argument" falls apart)
    02-24-13 02:31 AM
    A cell phone can never and will never take the place of console or pc games. The only market that it might have a shot at is the hand held market. And even then, no game that is put out on a cell phone will ever be more immersive or better in any way then the games that PS vita and Nintendo DS are putting out. I'm not trying to say that all the games for those systems are great, but cell phone games will never catch up. What people need to realize is that a cell phone is ment to be a cell phone and not an all in one device. It might be ok for killing 3 minutes waiting in a line, but that is about it.
    02-24-13 02:31 AM
    Here's my take. I recently sold my ps3 and im sure that makes my wife happy. However if the z10 can do games and pc things then maybe this is a good idea. I bought a playbook as my laptop so a z10 with docking would really interest me.

I could care less about the processing power but if I could dock my phone and play games and use as a pc I think it would be pretty sweet!
    02-24-13 02:48 AM
    Blackberry is barely hanging on in the mobile market, what makes you think that they can take on yet another market with deeply entrenched players?
    OH goodness no. BB SHOULD not do that!!! The history of gaming, from Atari on down, shows a litany of failed gaming systems due to lack of developer support. If you have trouble selling a phone because of a lack of apps, why would anyone think they could sell it as a gaming system (without even phone functionality) with the same apps?!
    02-24-13 02:48 AM
    Y
    Software wise all the big developers support Apple and have a long relationship with them. More importantly though, all the development tools are proven and mature on iOS. There are very few game engines or development tools that are available for QNX, and the few that are available are immature and not as good as their iOS equivalents.
    This is exactly what I used to think about my Atari. Boy was I wrong.
    To what are you referring here? Which Atari did you have?
    02-24-13 02:52 AM
    i never said its a possibility right now, if all goes well with BB10 in the long run they can throw whatever amount of money, it.
    That's fine, but that's not what the article was talking about, and clearly not what I was talking about. If you want to say "someday if BB10 is successful" then sure, I'll go along with that!
    02-24-13 02:57 AM
    @texazzpete.

It hasn't happened yet. Doesnt mean it won't happen. But you can believe whatever unlogical things you want. Dont worry, you can keep your xbox or PS3. No ones going to take it away from you when we are all using are phones as gaming consoles.
    You're the one forsaking logic here in your hilarious argument.
    Even if someday (definitely not in the near term!) enough people use their phones for living room gaming for traditional console sales to take a hit, that will NOT be driven by the Z10. Logic dictates that Android devices (which are much more open, have a much larger marketshare and whose flagships offer specs that easily outstrip the Z10) will lead that charge.

As it stands now, phone games are nowhere near as immersive, as graphically intensive and as premium as many console games. The Shadowgun y'all are so proud of would receive little better than average reviews (at best) if it was on console.

You can keep arguing from the narrow minded point of view that the people who are skeptical on this issue are only that way because they love console gaming. But blind fanboyism aside, anyone with working brains should be able to see that this will not happen anytime soon...and certainly not with the Z10.
    richardat, mikeo007 and Rickroller like this.
    02-24-13 04:32 AM
    Deny, Deny, Deny.

A lot of the same people here saying this will never happen have been the same saying BB would be dead already, or that BB10 would never be release, or whatever other nonsense dead wrong things you can think of. Dont people get tired of being dead wrong?? oh ya, they'll just deny it.
    Are you gonna use this lazy, canned answer when someone doubts any ludicrous claims about BB10? You could roll it out if anyone dares doubt that BB10 will solve hunger in the world and bring balance to the Force

When I get a bb10 device it will be the last gaming console I ever buy (meaning I will never buy any iteration of xbox, ps, or nintendo). I am not alone and the number will only grow with time.
    By all means, use your Z10 as your gaming console. Whatever rocks your boat. The issue on ground is not whether the number will 'grow with time'. It's whether that number will ever be able to have any discernible effect on console sales. IMHO, not a chance.

. Deny it, thats fine and go hug your xbox.
    ooh, this is new! No more "go back to iMore" or "Go back to WPcentral"....now it's "go hug your xbox". I can't wait until we move on to cars. I've always wanted to hug my Venza

I hope for your sake you put more effort and logic in your offline arguments.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-24-13 04:39 AM
    Out of curiosity, what doesn't it do for you that you'd look to do on a console? Not challenging - just asking. I find this subject interesting even if the original article does the whole "___ is poised to fight ____" thing. Guess it's not enough that BlackBerry now has a gaming platform that's orders of magnitude better than what they had before ... it's all gotta be about 'winning', 'defeating' and 'being better' for some.
    To answer your question as best as I can, you can't compare Modern Combat on mobile with Call of Duty, for example. Graphics, story, production values, multiplayer, etc. You're getting a much more premium experience on home consoles.

The average cost to make an AAA game on console is probably well north of $30 million. Thanks to severely constrained prices on mobile appstores (like $4.99 and below) developers won't be able to put that much effort in making mobile games.
    For example, the iPhone 5 has a more powerful GPU than the one in the PSVita...but there isn't anything on iOS with graphics and production values as good as Uncharted on the Vita.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    02-24-13 04:45 AM
    I'll admit, when the author said that he didn't think that Android 4.2 supported gamepads, I kinda questioned what research he did before writing the article.

A simple Google search would have told him about 4.2 supporting gamepads.
    Since Android 3.1 actually.

Look, I understand that gamepad support excites BB users. I felt a similar excitement when a mobile phone first got the capability two years ago. Combined with emulators, it meant that I could revisit the games I enjoyed in my youth. But I never called it a "game changer" and only the most delusional of Android fans thought it was "poised to disrupt" Nintendo, XBox or Playstation.
    02-24-13 07:29 AM
    That would be great. BlackBerry has the potential to be best at what they used to be severely lacking at. That would definitely help with a big comeback
    02-24-13 07:50 AM
    To answer your question as best as I can, you can't compare Modern Combat on mobile with Call of Duty, for example. Graphics, story, production values, multiplayer, etc. You're getting a much more premium experience on home consoles.

The average cost to make an AAA game on console is probably well north of $30 million. Thanks to severely constrained prices on mobile appstores (like $4.99 and below) developers won't be able to put that much effort in making mobile games.
    For example, the iPhone 5 has a more powerful GPU than the one in the PSVita...but there isn't anything on iOS with graphics and production values as good as Uncharted on the Vita.
    I agree with you point generally. I also definitely agree that there's always going to be a big 'console' market for gamers who want to game. Count me in that category as I look across the room at my 360, Wii, Dreamcast, three Ataris, Master System,, top loading NES etc.

Still, I'm not entirely convinced these devices won't have some impact as they get better and better. The hardcores like us will simply buy both console and mobile device. I imagine there will be a decent size of the casual market though that may forsake. What comes to mind is the Wii ... it sold near 100 million units due to explosive growth in the 'casual gamer' market. While I'm loathe to spew out the perpetual "people only bought Wii for Wii sports and don't play the machine anymore", it is true that a good chunk of that audience never bought a game console before and it was a novelty. I'm sure this casual gamer exists on the other platforms as well to a degree. My uncle, for example, has an XBox 360 he hasn't turned on in six months. My best friend and his wife have a 360 and Wii that each got lots of play for three months but now gather dust while they play games on iPad.

Again, I don't think the world is going to collapse on any of the console makers, but they may see more of a fight for a casual gamers.
    DragonFlyer likes this.
    02-24-13 08:40 AM
    I highly doubt it will disrupt Nintendo, and especially Sony's and Microsoft's gaming consoles, in any way, that is measurable. Totally different gaming audiences, and gaming "uses".
    i agree with you that this will not do much for hardcore games. however success or original nintendo wii shows that most gamers are casual games. nintendo wii is still #1 console that have outsold both ps3 and x360.

i think introduction of kinetic and ps3 move are clear signals that both sony and mircosoft have recognized that casual gamer market is becoming dominant. just go over to ps3 network and see how many casual games sony is offering in its store. hundreds of games. so it might happen that blackberry with powerful qnx can disrupt gaming market. the way i see it if i was not hardcore gamer and i could get all casual games on my phone and simply hooked it up to tv in 2 seconds and be ready to go. why would i want to invest money for ps4 or x720 if the phone delivers the same and i can take it with me on the go if i want to.

years ago i thought sony was crazy that it dropped pocket pc line because it predicted that phones will take it over. look at phones today. just compare games like nova 2 to nova 3. the difference is huge. at this technological pace two years from now the phones might be as powerful as x360 or ps3.

i think ps4 and x720 are the last generation consoles and after that future consoles will not be the way we know it today.
    DragonFlyer likes this.
    02-28-13 10:07 AM
    Out of curiosity, what doesn't it do for you that you'd look to do on a console? Not challenging - just asking. I find this subject interesting even if the original article does the whole "___ is poised to fight ____" thing. Guess it's not enough that BlackBerry now has a gaming platform that's orders of magnitude better than what they had before ... it's all gotta be about 'winning', 'defeating' and 'being better' for some.
    Depth of gameplay first and foremost. Modern Warfare is a multi-million dollar game and no comparison to Modern Combat on mobile. Sure, MC is a great game and my iPad is my sole portable gaming device (retired the PSP) but for real gaming (and 3d gaming) i use my PS3.

If Apple release their own controller and SDK that all developers can use I might delay a PS4 purchase (keep the PS3 though), as of right now the DuoGamer is only tied into Gameloft games which severely limits its usefulness.
    02-28-13 10:28 AM
    My comment is I can see this happening. I just been Playing Nova 3 on Z10 this morning and I thought to myself how great looking this game is for a phone. The game runs on Z10 extra smooth. For $6 which includes online snd campaign game this game is a steal. For a regular price of Xbox or Ps game I could get several of these games. I think bb is going in this direction given amount of high native games coming to z10 every day.

BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins has talked several times about BB 10 competing in other areas besides smartphones and tablets.* We previously wrote that, with the upcoming BlackBerry docking stations, BlackBerry will be competing against Apple and Microsoft in desktop and laptop computers.

The fact that BlackBerry will be adding gamepad support to BB 10 has been on the developer roadmap for several months.* However, besides the words “gamepad support”, there has not been any public description of what that actually involves – until today.

With gamepad support, BlackBerry 10 users can play a game on their smartphone using a physical gamepad instead of the virtual one on the touchscreen.* This is particularly appealing to serious gamers, since physical gamepads are superior in several ways, including response time and tactile feedback.* Currently, 3 types of gamepads are supported on BB 10.* SteelSeries Free and Wii Remote are already supported in the 10.0 version of the NDK, while Gametel support will be added in 10.1 (the beta is available for download).* It is almost certain that support for more gamepads will be added in the near future.

Consoles Face Risk of Being Disrupted by BlackBerry 10

At the PlayStation 4 announcement event yesterday, a common question was whether the console’s impressive specs can overcome the demographic shift, in which users are increasingly playing games on mobile devices.* There is no doubt that a console is needed for hardcore gamers looking for the ultimate gaming experience.* However, with a BlackBerry Z10, a user can save $200-$300 by not having to purchase a console and its associated accessories.* It is likely inevitable that over time, BlackBerry will take market share from the likes of Nintendo WiiU and PlayStation Vita, and even consoles like the upcoming XBox 720 and PlayStation 4.

The timing of this development is very exciting, since the Ouya console is currently generating quite a bit of buzz, and even Nvidia is getting into gaming.* In addition, this sort of gamepad support is another area where BlackBerry 10 is ahead of iOS 6 on the iPhone 5, since the latter does not offer support for physical gamepads.

http://www.thegadgetmasters.com/2013...playstation-4/
    DragonFlyer likes this.
    02-28-13 12:08 PM
    I'm sorry, but if anything is "disrupting" the gaming industry, it won't be with the Z10 and it's 4.2" screen (HDMI out or not). People have already been using Playstation controllers connected to their phones via BT for a long time already, and the biggest hinderance currently to "full mobile gaming" is hardware (which BBRY has already stated it's not interested in waging war in). No matter how well optimized core software is, heavy duty gaming is very graphics intensive, and even on a quad core device like the Note 2, certain games with high frame rates can cause choppiness.

Check this video out at the 8:06 mark for a better explanation as to mobile gaming..
    notfanboy and mikeo007 like this.
    02-28-13 12:30 PM
    I could care less about the processing power but if I could dock my phone and play games and use as a pc I think it would be pretty sweet!
    You should care about processing power if you ever want to use your phone as a PC. As it stands right now, the Z10 has nowhere near that capability yet, and as far as running PC level games, unless you want to run OG versions of Leasure Suit Larry or the original Sim City, it isn't happening. As it stands now, Grand Theft Auto III is playable on Android, and how many years old is that game?
    02-28-13 12:33 PM
    No. Put it this way. By the time phone get enough power to look like ps4, ps6 probably came out already. Phone will never match the horsepower of console and its content. A bluray disc in ps3 is like 10-20gig. that's a size of a whole phone. Take street fighter 4 on phone and compare it to the console version. There is no comparison.

it would be great tho to have a all in one device. Computer,phone and gaming console. Can bring it anywhere and just wireless connect to your tv and play.

that being said, i highly doubt it will change anything in the console war.
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-28-13 12:35 PM
76 1234