I have noticed that apps that work behind the scenes to update content are often the cause of battery drain (USA Today, Maxim, Whatsapp, etc). Without knowing the technical details of BB10, does anyone think that the OS hasn't been optimized for background processes that aren't active frames? This is pure speculation on my part, but move often than not, it seems that apps running in the background are the primary cause of battery drain (and I'm not referring too the 8 active frames running on the home screen).

It's a fair assertion to suggest that BlackBerry engineers were so focused on getting the product finished that something like this could have been overlooked. Or maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts as I feel this is a relevant, commonly discussed topic (certain apps draining the battery) .

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 10:28 PM
    Unless it's an android app (or an app made by BlackBerry themselves), apps cannot run in the background without being in an active frame yet. The APIs haven't been released.
    If it's an android app, it can, and that just goes to show the shortcomings of android.
    04-08-13 10:47 PM
    To a certain extent, anything running in the background is going to cause a hit on the battery. A poorly coded app could cause higher than normal drain..
    04-08-13 10:49 PM
    Acrid2000 - a working example would be:

1) WhatsApp App - when closed in active frames, but you still receive a notification.

2) Maxim App - always has updated content when you open it.

How is that not 'running' in the background?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 11:24 PM
    I actually noticed this to say my phone was at 20% at around 5pm and so I just left it in my pocket and when I took it out at 7pm it was at 5% I have no clue what could have caused this because it had excellent network coverage and everything else was either turned off or closed. Idk what happened.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 12:07 AM
    They should not cause that much drain but then again they could. We will probably see more battery improvements with further updates
    04-09-13 12:16 AM
    For how old the operating system is, and considering that there is no more BIS, I think BlackBerry has done a tremendous job on battery life. Ultimately, if an app searches for updates in the background, it will cause a battery drain without push notifications like on the older BlackBerrys.
    thekidshop likes this.
    04-09-13 12:22 AM
    Acrid2000 - a working example would be:1) WhatsApp App - when closed in active frames, but you still receive a notification. 2) Maxim App - always has updated content when you open it. How is that not 'running' in the background? Posted via CB10
    Whatsapp uses (or at least used, and I presume still uses) push notifications, which shouldn't be draining battery. Maxim I would assume just refreshes content when you launch it. Unless BlackBerry gave these companies a newer version of the SDK (which I suppose is possible if the OS itself isn't part of the limitation), its not possible to make apps that run in the background without their active frame is open. It might seem like they do, but it cannot be done. Repeat, not possible.
    04-09-13 09:03 AM
    The Android player still runs in the background. If you have an Android app running, it can still run in the background without an active frame. Depending on how resource-intensive the app is, it could chew through battery.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 02:31 PM
    I would love they implement some kind of task manager as on pc so that we can monitor which app /process is running on the background so we can kill it off if necessary to maintain a health battery life. Sideloading anroid is last resort to anyone's app issue but it also the cause of miserable battery life
    04-09-13 02:45 PM
    I would love they implement some kind of task manager as on pc so that we can monitor which app /process is running on the background so we can kill it off if necessary to maintain a health battery life. Sideloading anroid is last resort to anyone's app issue but it also the cause of miserable battery life
    Get battery guru and....well leave it running it tracks power consumption. You could track down your problem app that way.
    04-09-13 04:39 PM