TL;DR: Will we lose our "freedom"?

With BB10 being aimed at the general consumer market.
    Will things like varied Appstores, OTA downloads from different websites, fonts, Engineering screens, SD cards, removable batteries, drag&drop for all sorts of files, themes with whole different layouts and some extra functions, customizarion ease, etc. Prevail in BB10 without having to do any kind of jailbreaking?

Basically, will it be our device or RIM's?
    So fa, RIM seems to be heading that way. They've already removed most of it from the PB, h3ll, we cant even change the damn notification sound. (it still blows many tablets away and i love mine)

I can totally understand the whole "start from scratch" thing, but some things could stay... Even hidden or flagged as extended functionality with lots of warnings to keep the would-be-average user from the not-so-average user (most of us) so that people dont screw up as often and then blame it on RIM. Because that looks like the most logical explanation for Apple to be doing it, either that, or they are just selfish sonsofb***, but i'll pick the first one.

Oppinions, crackberry?
    07-27-12 03:24 AM
    The other day, I was browsing through BlackBerryOS blog where they posted an interview with Vivek Bhardwaj.

One of the questiones there was very similar to yours.

Here is his answer:

You may actually want to listen to the whole interview, which is not bad at all. Much better than some of the recent ones with other RIM personnel. He actually gives some information, mixed in with the current RIM corporate hogwash his colleagues have been spewing.
    anjali_jain likes this.
    07-27-12 04:01 AM
    I figured he would say that there wasn't a lot he could talk about; however, his focus on communication being one of important things stands out to me. That has always been my favorite aspect of any BlackBerry I've owned- impeccable communication from top to bottom. I am sure BlackBerry 10 will dethrone Apple and Android...
    07-27-12 04:32 AM
    TL;DR: Will we lose our "freedom"?

With BB10 being aimed at the general consumer market.
    Will things like varied Appstores, OTA downloads from different websites, fonts, Engineering screens, SD cards, removable batteries, drag&drop for all sorts of files, themes with whole different layouts and some extra functions, customizarion ease, etc. Prevail in BB10 without having to do any kind of jailbreaking?

Basically, will it be our device or RIM's?
    So fa, RIM seems to be heading that way. They've already removed most of it from the PB, h3ll, we cant even change the damn notification sound. (it still blows many tablets away and i love mine)

I can totally understand the whole "start from scratch" thing, but some things could stay... Even hidden or flagged as extended functionality with lots of warnings to keep the would-be-average user from the not-so-average user (most of us) so that people dont screw up as often and then blame it on RIM. Because that looks like the most logical explanation for Apple to be doing it, either that, or they are just selfish sonsofb***, but i'll pick the first one.

Oppinions, crackberry?
    My thoughts regarding the things you have mentioned.

App store: i think a consolidated appstore would be better and less confusing when managing devices. Just app world will do just fine.

OTA: i think this will not be present in BB10, but i think we might still have some kind of ability to sideload the apps like on the playbook? For me i'm not too concerned, as i think having on single location to install back all the apps is a bonus. I actually like how apple does it with itunes. Only have to download your apps on your PC once. Then if you wipe your device, simply sync it back in. No need to go back to app world to re-download the apps. Saving quite a bit amount of data use if you have lots of apps.

Fonts: This is a big unknown, but personally i've always found the default font and size to be very legible and easy to read. But I can understand why people love it, so i do hope that at least there will be some form of customisation. Especially adjusting font size, as some may not have that good of an eyesight.

Engineering screen: Not a big deal for me at all.

SD card: This i would love to have, as I like the ability to switch to another blackberry and just swap the memory card. And all my files like music and photos will be available instantly, no need to sync again.

Battery: As long as the battery life is able to last 1-2 days on heavy usage, i'm not too concern. Something along the lines of the 9900 would be fine. But of course, having removable battery is a plus point. Especially when traveling and power points are not easily accessible.

Drag & drop: Actually i though the PB already has some ability to drag and drop for media files? And frankly thats all i need. If BB10 has the same wireless file transfer, i'll be happy.

Themes: I'm not a big fan of themes but can understand if someone would want one.

I'm sure a few of those mentioned above might not be available at launch. But maybe it will eventually come. Just like how apple has been slowly improving iOS and adding more features. Its still too early to start speculating just what BB10 has or don't. There are still so much we don't know. Have some faith in RIM my friend.
    07-27-12 05:06 AM
    It seems that way, or at least as though things are heading in that direction. One big example is with themes, when I first joined CB the theme "community" was pretty active and the creativity was fun to watch. Now it's pretty much nonexistent except for the pre-OS7 phones. Who knows what the true status of that rumoured latest Theme Builder is, really? Why RIM would neglect a group of folks who supported the brand is inexplacable.

Also, to not include the ability to use SD cards would be frankly foolish. Life is always better with options.
    07-27-12 08:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD