BB10 links - Pastebin.com

Bla1ze just posted this up on twitter.

Can we load side load these up on our playbooks?

i'm especially interested in the browser bar file and perhaps gtalk/msn/bbm
    09-30-12 03:08 PM
    BB10 links - Pastebin.com

Bla1ze just posted this up on twitter.

Can we load side load these up on our playbooks?

i'm especially interested in the browser bar file and perhaps gtalk/msn/bbm
    You can try sideloading them, but I doubt those bar files will be useable.

I just tried the browser file... it supposedly installed but it doesn't even show up anywhere...
    09-30-12 03:24 PM
    Never mind...............

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0[/YT]
    Last edited by kbz1960; 09-30-12 at 04:27 PM.
    09-30-12 03:39 PM
    That's because the new browser is done with cascades so the current PB OS doesn't know what it is.

New browser is built with webkit engine running underneath a UI built on HTML5/CSS/Javascript it is NOT written in Cascades

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    diegonei likes this.
    09-30-12 03:57 PM
    New browser is built with webkit engine running underneath a UI built on HTML5/CSS/Javascript it is NOT written in Cascades

Well why not? I heard a long time ago that it would be but thanks for correcting.
    09-30-12 03:59 PM
    Well why not? I heard a long time ago that it would be but thanks for correcting.

Thats a damn good question. I wanted a Cascades browser myself. Apparently HTML5 is just as powerful. There are a few threads discussing the change. I think they half did it to "show off" the power of HTML5 but I speculated previously that they choose to build it on Web technologies because BB10 is not the only place the browser will exist.

Legacy BB devices? Other platforms? Who knows really what RIM has planned!

09-30-12 04:09 PM
    Heck I don't care as long as it's better than the pb browser and it kicks some
    09-30-12 04:12 PM
    That's because the new browser is done with cascades so the current PB OS doesn't know what it is.
    The BB10 browser - is 100% done with WebWorks/Webkit! Confirmed @ BBJam last week
    09-30-12 04:20 PM
    The BB10 browser - is 100% done with WebWorks/Webkit! Confirmed @ BBJam last week
    Yes I've already been corrected. I'll change my post.
    09-30-12 04:25 PM
    Thats a damn good question. I wanted a Cascades browser myself. Apparently HTML5 is just as powerful. There are a few threads discussing the change. I think they half did it to "show off" the power of HTML5 but I speculated previously that they choose to build it on Web technologies because BB10 is not the only place the browser will exist.

Legacy BB devices? Other platforms? Who knows really what RIM has planned!

The BB10 Browser is in QNX Car2 & I saw an interview a while back where they (QNX) mentioned licensing the browser to car manufacturers, & other industries.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-30-12 04:32 PM
    The BB10 Browser is in QNX Car2 & I saw an interview a while back where they (QNX) mentioned licensing the browser to car manufacturers, & other industries.

Ahh that does make sense. Seeins as automotive really likes HTML5. That seems like a VERY logical move then. Well played RIM. As OEMs build their car platforms off QNX Car 2 this just makes sense. Thank you very much for enlightening us

09-30-12 04:38 PM
    So then, can it run on my current Playbook OS?
    09-30-12 04:49 PM
    Can we get back on topic, please?
    09-30-12 04:50 PM
    Can we get back on topic, please?

There is no topic. The .bars are for BB10. Not Playbook. Unless youre Playbooks runs a version of BB10 these files won't work.

09-30-12 05:01 PM
    There is no topic. The .bars are for BB10. Not Playbook. Unless youre Playbooks runs a version of BB10 these files won't work.

OK thanks, because some times applications that are written for certain OSes can run on those OSes predecessors, if they are similar enough.
    09-30-12 06:19 PM
    If you need to ask if you can load these on your PlayBook then you have no business loading them on your PlayBook lol. In other words, you can..but not without some trickery and a high chance you'll screw things up. If you dunno what you're doing, best not to do anything.
    09-30-12 09:41 PM
    There are plenty of apps written for Windows 7 that will run on Vista or XP. So just because the browser is written for BB10 doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work for another QNX based OS.
    In this case that may not be the case but that is why we were asking.
    10-01-12 07:28 AM
    I tried the BB10 browser on a PlayBook loaded with OS10 and it was practically unusable because of UI meant for the phones. For example, when typing a URL, the keyboard covered the input box, so you couldn't see what you were typing.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the base is still the webkit browser. A couple third party browsers worked on OS10 and their HTML5test.com score was the same as the OS10 browser. Secure Browser and the ComicSans Browser where the two that worked. Simple Browser would not start, just stuck on a white screen.

OS10 on the PlayBook was an interesting experiment, but not that useable. I only kept it on the PlayBook for a day and then went back to 2.1.0.840.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7645484
    Last edited by robsteve; 10-01-12 at 07:45 AM.
    10-01-12 07:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD