a colleague of mine is very curious on how his bb 9780 got wiped over night.
    He used it last night no problems, this morning, it was reset to factory. all connections were turned off, contacts, everything wiped clean. He couldnt have pocket dialed as it was sitting on his night table, and of course you cant pocket dial "blackberry" after the failed attempts.
    Has anyone ever heard of this? he is not on a BES so no recent backups available.

Any insight would be great.
    07-06-11 03:40 PM
    Waiting to hear if you find out. Does he have BlackBerry Protect? Could that have done it by itself?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-11 05:12 PM
    No, he did not have bb protect; does now

07-06-11 05:26 PM
    Same thing happened to my 9800 last night. Everything gone. It was on the cradle, in bedside mode. The BB alarm went at 6:30 as usual and when I removed it from the cradle, a little later, it was wiped clean. We are on BES but I checked with my BES Admin and they did not remote wipe it.
    I have OS 6.0.0.600. Weird. I'm just glad I backed up my apps 2 days ago.

07-06-11 06:06 PM
    Same thing happened to my 9800 last night. Everything gone. It was on the cradle, in bedside mode. The BB alarm went at 6:30 as usual and when I removed it from the cradle, a little later, it was wiped clean.
    Wow that's scary! Almost makes me wanna stop using my cradle :P
    07-07-11 12:19 PM
    Could someone in his house have wiped the device while he was sleeping?
    07-07-11 12:22 PM
    Maybe someones wife was trying to check up on him and didn't know the password.

07-07-11 12:29 PM
    This indeed is goofy, all the data being wiped!! One possible solution could be, due to some changes at the service provider's end the devices got wiped. I see one of the Blackberries that was wiped is on Bell Mobility, check and see if the other is on the same carrier. This issue needs to be properly addressed to and researched into.
    07-08-11 07:29 AM
    This indeed is goofy, all the data being wiped!! One possible solution could be, due to some changes at the service provider's end the devices got wiped.
    I agree it should be looked into. A service provider should not have that level of control over anybody's BlackBerry. I can't really believe this is what happened.

07-08-11 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD