I am confused which is better. The bold seems better but sprint says the tour is better and they are not the same model. like the touch pro and fuze. can someone explain?

thanks
    08-04-09 09:22 PM
    Bold has 3G speeds over GSM in North america. tour only has true 3G in europe
    08-04-09 09:27 PM
    Both are part of the 9xxx series and are considered "high end" berries. The Bold has is wifi, which sadly the Tour does not. The Tour does have 3G data speeds in North America - EVDO Rev. A. There is no such thing as "real" or "fake" 3G as some of the GSM guys and carrier marketing fluff would say. 3G encompasses both HSPA and EVDO. HSPA theoretically does have a higher top speed and does have the advantage of allowing simultaneous voice and data.

IMHO coverage wise, the Tour has the advantage because it allows you to have North America's greater CDMA coverage, yet will allow you to flip the phone over to a GSM carrier when travelling overseas (or you could even bring the phone over to an American GSM carrier and use it on EDGE data speeds if you so wish, providing you unlock it).
    08-04-09 09:47 PM
    I prefer the Bold, but if Verizon/Sprint has way better coverage in your area, I would get the Tour.

Bold is a little quicker and the screen and keybaord are slightly bigger as well. Tour has a better camera and more ram. Smaller form factor if that's what you prefer.

In the end they're both great BB's and I think you would be happy with either one.
    08-04-09 09:57 PM
    Both are part of the 9xxx series and are considered "high end" berries. The Bold has is wifi, which sadly the Tour does not. The Tour does have 3G data speeds in North America - EVDO Rev. A. There is no such thing as "real" or "fake" 3G as some of the GSM guys and carrier marketing fluff would say. 3G encompasses both HSPA and EVDO. HSPA theoretically does have a higher top speed and does have the advantage of allowing simultaneous voice and data.

IMHO coverage wise, the Tour has the advantage because it allows you to have North America's greater CDMA coverage, yet will allow you to flip the phone over to a GSM carrier when travelling overseas (or you could even bring the phone over to an American GSM carrier and use it on EDGE data speeds if you so wish, providing you unlock it).

You did not read what i said. I said you will not be able to get 3g on GSM in NA. Yes you are right that evdo rev a will give you 3G speeds over CDMA, but rev A is not widely rolled out.
    CDMA is dying anyways. If it were not for VZ and its strangle hold on markets that is takes, GMS would of taken over long ago. evdo rev a(cdma 3g) is genreally slower than GSM 3G
    08-04-09 10:06 PM
    I prefer the Bold, but if Verizon/Sprint has way better coverage in your area, I would get the Tour.

Bold is a little quicker and the screen and keybaord are slightly bigger as well. Tour has a better camera and more ram. Smaller form factor if that's what you prefer.

In the end they're both great BB's and I think you would be happy with either one.
    I have a bold. And i have to say. If you have 3G having wifi is not really helpful. I have maybe used the wifi in my bold once maybe twice, ever.

I had a iphone and it was the same thing. #g can pretty much get you to wherever you want to go. As for streaming large files or special wifi purposes that is another story, but overall wifi is becoming less and less useful on a phone. Of course, dont get me wrong. I would want wifi on the device just in case. But overall, it is of little use. If the tour was 3G on GSM NA i would switch to the tour.
    08-04-09 10:09 PM
    Both a great devices...I love my bold but If I were with vzw I would have the tour and not worry about the bold, just as I have the Bold and I'm not too looking @ the Tour

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 01:47 AM
    best answer. agreed.

You are with Sprint, get the tour and be happy.

Both a great devices...I love my bold but If I were with vzw I would have the tour and not worry about the bold, just as I have the Bold and I'm not too looking @ the Tour

08-05-09 09:03 AM
    Guys wifi is a great backup option. U can't rely on these networks all the time!

08-05-09 09:28 AM
    U can't rely on wifi all the time

08-07-09 11:54 AM
    3G (Simultaneous voice/Data)+WiFi= Bold FTW
    08-07-09 12:02 PM
    Form factor is a concern. I find the Bold uncomfortable to hold, especially as a phone, due to the edges jutting out and not being rounded.
    Wifi is not a concern for me as I have an unlimited data plan.
    Rev A is widespread for Canada anyway (where I am). I thought all of NA but the other poster said differently and I'm no expert.
    I would go for a Tour on a CDMA carrier if the plan worked for you, otherwise on a GSM carrier I would actually choose the 8900 over the Bold. Same screen res & camera as Tour, nice small form factor, but slightly smaller keyboard.
    Or wait for the "Bold2" aka 9700 aka Merlin (?!?!?) that should be out this fall...
    Choices, choices!

08-07-09 12:10 PM
    ? the bold edges are completely rounded

Wifi isn't just about data plan rates. Wifi improves battery life and signal reliability drastically.
    08-07-09 12:13 PM
    There are times when I travel outside of my coverage area and have terrible reception. (In-laws live in a small rural town) They have a wifi connection at their house which allows me to receive emails, surf the web, and use bbm even with no service. I pick the Bold.
    08-07-09 12:17 PM
    Form factor is a concern. I find the Bold uncomfortable to hold, especially as a phone, due to the edges jutting out and not being rounded.
    The Bold edges are completely rounded... If anything the Tours' corners stick out more...

08-07-09 12:20 PM
    The BlackBerry Bold is a Beast! The BlackBerry Tour is a Beast! Either one, you can't go wrong!

08-07-09 01:37 PM
    Chiming in here,...while at VZ, I did a quick App test btwn the Bold and Tour,...surprising, though the Bold has a faster processor, the Tour held its own. Now, when it came to surfing the web,...the Tour on VZ's network smoked my Bold on AT&T's network. It wasn't even close,..unless you count the time when I pressed "Go" while accessing "Google" simultaneously with both devices.

The Bold is still bad!,...but the Tour is the new kid on the block.

JMDBerry
    08-07-09 02:17 PM
    I say go with Tour for economical reasons (it's cheaper than AT&T monthly IMO) but I like AT&T service and customer service much better.

Tech Specs wise...they're both awesome! if you really need a WIFI then go with Bold I guess. But like mentioned above, it's a back up item. Can't rely on it all the time! OR can't we?!?!? I do lol
    08-07-09 02:18 PM
    Chiming in here,...while at VZ, I did a quick App test btwn the Bold and Tour,...surprising, though the Bold has a faster processor, the Tour held its own. Now, when it came to surfing the web,...the Tour on VZ's network smoked my Bold on AT&T's network. It wasn't even close,..unless you count the time when I pressed "Go" while accessing "Google" simultaneously with both devices.

The Bold is still bad!,...but the Tour is the new kid on the block.

JMDBerry
    Really? Because when I surf my Bold over WiFi, it's no contest that the Tour gets smoked.

Don't compare Verizon to ATT, those are two different networks. I'm pretty sure because I'm in a major area in Canada, my Rogers Bold 3G with full 5 bars will easily match or maybe surpass the Tour in browsing.

Most Tour owners only think it's faster because they are on OS 4.7 which improves speed and functionality. But for now the Bold is still the king.
    08-07-09 07:19 PM
    Neither one is "king". 9000 and 9630 will share the throne until the 9700 is released. Each device has its pros and cons.
    08-07-09 07:42 PM
    In terms of blackberry, Bold is the king right now. Nothing can touch the speed or power. 3G, Wifi in one.

The Tour is in the same league as the Curve 8900. Both are exactly the same except for 3g or wifi.

Yes the Onyx will be the new flagship, but it won't be long till the Storm 2 and Magnum release either.

But I guess in a sense, no blackberry is the best because everyone has different tastes from size to power.

That's why RIM hasn't created "one blackberry to rule them all"
    08-07-09 07:52 PM
    So I got the chance to test out the Bold and the Tour side by side tonight and I must say the Bold blows the Tour away while downloading apps and using app world... Trying to download apps on the Tour was a pretty slow and agonizing process. I found this strange though because they both seemed about the same when I had them render the same website. After using the Tour I cannot imagine living without WiFi. Great phone but not for me. And also the screen on the Tour is simply amazing... Wish I had that on my Bold, and the camera is sick too.
    08-07-09 08:45 PM
    So I got the chance to test out the Bold and the Tour side by side tonight and I must say the Bold blows the Tour away while downloading apps and using app world... Trying to download apps on the Tour was a pretty slow and agonizing process. I found this strange though because they both seemed about the same when I had them render the same website. After using the Tour I cannot imagine living without WiFi. Great phone but not for me. And also the screen on the Tour is simply amazing... Wish I had that on my Bold, and the camera is sick too.
    The screen is essentially the same... It's the same one as the curve 8900's and I use my GF's curve 8900 side by side and cannot note a difference. But I did note that the Bold has the largest physical screen at 2.55"
    08-07-09 09:04 PM
    Wifi not important? Pssshawww! I'll give you two good reasons why it IS important:

1. Even if you have 3G, wifi is usually much faster.
    2. If you are in a non-3G area, like millions of users or when travelling, you can still use wifi and have simultaneous voice and data.

WiFi FTW
    Simultaneous voice & data (3G on GSM) FTW

In summary, the Tour is nice, but:

No wifi + no simultaneous voice/data = no deal.
    08-07-09 09:36 PM
    The Bold edges are completely rounded... If anything the Tours' corners stick out more...

Nice to see those two side b.y side
    08-07-09 09:37 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD