View Poll Results: Which BB software do you use for GPS navigation?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • AmAze

4 9.52%
  • BlackBerry Maps

4 9.52%
  • Garmin Mobile ($)

5 11.90%
  • Gokivo ($ soon)

1 2.38%
  • Google Maps

13 30.95%
  • LifeInPocket

0 0%
  • Nav4All ($ soon)

2 4.76%
  • TeleNav ($)

6 14.29%
  • VZ/Sprint/etc Nav ($)

4 9.52%
  • Other

3 7.14%
    There have been countless threads asking "which GPS software should I use?" The answers are as varied as our BB models. I'm curious which GPS navigation software people are using on their BB.

Vote above!
    Last edited by hubermania; 09-10-09 at 01:15 PM.
    09-10-09 01:03 PM
    Telmap navigator best for me. Try amaze if u dnt need it everyday.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 01:13 PM
    Google Maps for the BB is great, just like the normal online version. The search function works well at least for pubs and petrol stations! Having both the map & satellite view is very handy. And I love the feature that shows traffic speeds for suitable enabled roads. I like the way it estimates the position first using the mobile antennas then homes in when a GPS fix is found. Maybe these features are also in the other apps. I haven't tried any other yet apart from the rather cumbersome BB maps initially. Would be good to see a comparison chart of all the above with their respective features.
    09-10-09 01:25 PM
    I think there are three distinctive types of mapping/direction apps:

Basic map + text directions:
    - BB Maps
    - Google Maps *

Free w/ turn-by-turn voice directions (no street names).
    - AmazeGPS *
    - Nav4All (Free until the end of the year).

$ with voice guided directions (including street names)
    - TeleNav (including VZ Navigator)
    - Garmin Mobile *

I'm not sure where Gokivo and Life-In-Pocket fit into those categories. It all depends on what features you are looking for.

* my favorite for each category.
    09-10-09 08:57 PM
    Blackberry Maps is my default but i also do use Telmap Navigator for longer trips. I like the turn by turn voice prompts. Looks like either Telmap or BB fix something in the last release of one of each others. Voice prompts now finish instead of cutting out half way through.

I also have Google maps loaded but really don't use it much due to it not being able to track me. It just does tower to tower which sucks.
    09-12-09 12:10 PM
    Garmin Mobile was worth the $79 lifetime license. It looks and works like their nuvi dashtop unit. Voice guidance, spoken street names, real-time traffic.

Before Garmin I alternated between Nav4All and Amaze. Amaze has the cooler UI, but Nav4All was quicker at destination input. Both have voice guidance but no spoken street names and no traffic. They also don't play well with my GPS, and I have to start BB Maps first to bring my GPS puck online.

Google and BB Maps are bottom of the barrel for navigation. They are step-by-step not turn-by-turn, and require you to manually advance to the next turn instruction by pressing a key. I also don't like their map provider. Google Maps had me turn onto a road that had been closed for decades. We're talking shrubs and trees growing out of the pavement: not exactly the freshest of data

IMHO the biggest advantage of nav software over a standalone dashtop unit is the fact you never have to buy a map update. I've done that 3 times for my Garmin StreetPilot over the past several years.

09-15-09 08:07 AM
    I use VZ Nav for directions. POI database sometimes is not great. For that I can use Gmaps or BBerry maps.
    09-15-09 09:24 PM
    I've only tried vznavigator and it left me lost in Seattle. I asked for my money back.
    09-15-09 09:59 PM
    I've only tried vznavigator and it left me lost in Seattle. I asked for my money back.
    We do have a lot of hills and water in the way of things. Only a few north-south routes. And many east-west don't go anywhere practical either.

It can be interesting to see how a gps will route from one place to another. Then ignore it.
    09-15-09 10:39 PM
    I have had a bad experience with telenav. I am in a new city (S.F.) and depend on it and it has consistently routed me the wrong way. Sometimes it directs me to continue straight then it will immediately suggest making a Uturn. Using the software to locate a coffee shop, it led me to a residence in the middle of a subdivision in Burlingame. This residence was no where near a coffee shop or even a strip mall. TeleNav needs to update their database of businesses. Google Maps is more accurate and it's free.

The reason I pay the $10 is that I wanted an up to date solution and instead I have something that's hit and miss and rarely dependable. Sometimes the street name is not even spoken (but is displayed e.g. St. Francis). Not sure what is up with that.

If traffic is heavy, it suggests hitting '0' to search for an alternate route. Cool, BUT, It never finds an alternate route. Then, constantly suggests hitting '0' for another route. WTF. If I hit '0' and there is no alternate route, don't offer it.

I do like that I can add addresses to the GPS online and then sync at any time.
    09-15-09 11:11 PM
    I use AT&T Navigator and Google Maps.

09-15-09 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD