Will the best it will report is -80? Test mode on an lg phone reports -62 close to our repeater. Not a big deal but stinks when I'm testing and have to grab some el cheapo phone for accurate readings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 09:31 AM
    Interesting. How do u check this?

07-11-08 09:44 AM
    Options>status

07-11-08 09:53 AM
    Interesting. How do u check this?

ALT + LT SHIFT + H on the Curve and scroll down to "signal strength"
    07-11-08 09:53 AM
    Will the best it will report is -80? Test mode on an lg phone reports -62 close to our repeater. Not a big deal but stinks when I'm testing and have to grab some el cheapo phone for accurate readings.

maybe the berry is more accurate and the LG phone is being optimistic?
    07-11-08 09:54 AM
    Hold down the Alt key and press NMLL to switch to signal strength and the same again to revert to bars.

I think if I were doing signal strength measurements then I would want something a bit more accurate than a commmercial phone.

If I had to do the measurements that way then I would want several phones and then average them.

To say that phone 'A' is more accurate than phone 'B' with a sample size of one each means that you have no idea which one (or either) is even in the park let alone accurate. Remember too that readings in decibels are logarithmic so quite large fluctuations are likely (+ or - 6dB easily). Also you should do the tests with noth phones together at the same time to obtain consistent results.
    07-11-08 10:03 AM
    -91 dBm

There is a tower directly behind my office.
    07-11-08 10:04 AM
    Unlikely its that far off. We can get low 80 on the roof with a 20 db boost from the repeater afterwards. So the lg should be pretty close.

07-11-08 10:04 AM
    80 is the best I've seen and apparently is as low as it will register.
    07-11-08 10:22 AM
    -80 seems to be the highest number you will see on a CDMA BlackBerry. I think GSM BlackBerry devices will go higher. Some BBs will not go low enough to display three digits (e.g. -105).
    07-11-08 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD