So I've read a bunch of posts on BB Push email, but I can't get the answer to my question. I'm just trying to understand how it works, meaning, what we can't see.

For example, I know that my email account, on my own webhost (I use Site5 for webhost and email) does not provide push email. Cpanel is "pull." But on my BB, they very much behave like "push". If I send an email, I get it on my blackberry within seconds. No delay. So I know it's not checking every 15 minutes or so. And the accounts are setup to connect via IMAP.

So I assume this occurs due to the BB BIS, and has nothing to do with my email provider. Without the BIS, I would have to check every few minutes to get email, even when setup via IMAP. Is this true? If so, what is the BIS doing? It seems like it would literally need to check for mail every couple of seconds to keep up as well as it does.

How does this work?

Thanks.

P.S. If only my OWA connection would work this way.
    10-06-11 01:19 PM
    So I've read a bunch of posts on BB Push email, but I can't get the answer to my question. I'm just trying to understand how it works, meaning, what we can't see.

For example, I know that my email account, on my own webhost (I use Site5 for webhost and email) does not provide push email. Cpanel is "pull." But on my BB, they very much behave like "push". If I send an email, I get it on my blackberry within seconds. No delay. So I know it's not checking every 15 minutes or so. And the accounts are setup to connect via IMAP.

So I assume this occurs due to the BB BIS, and has nothing to do with my email provider. Without the BIS, I would have to check every few minutes to get email, even when setup via IMAP. Is this true? If so, what is the BIS doing? It seems like it would literally need to check for mail every couple of seconds to keep up as well as it does.

How does this work?

Thanks.

P.S. If only my OWA connection would work this way.
    Some or most of your statement are trur and I believe you have an idea how this work with PUSH email but for instance if you have gmail when you set up that email creating an acct. YOU must set up in the settings for IMAP, it is not automatic.

Set up as an IMAP acct. just simply lets the server PUSH out the email to you instead of going the slow route via POP.

If you read this article it will give you a complete understanding just how andwhy everything works the way it does and the advantage over POP setup mailboxes.

Internet Message Access Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope this helps you ok?
    10-06-11 06:59 PM
    Thanks. I'll read the link you provided. But even with IMAP, you still need to "check" periodically, right? My client on my PC works that way...I think.
    10-06-11 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD